User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which are better athletes, thinkers or feelers?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thinkers

11 39.29%
  • Feelers

3 10.71%
  • They are equally good, just in different ways/areas.

14 50.00%
First 23456 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Ok. I'll try to find them. Is there some trick to searching that I don't know about? I never seem to be able to find the things I'm looking for, and then I assume they're not there.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Ok. I'll try to find them. Is there some trick to searching that I don't know about? I never seem to be able to find the things I'm looking for, and then I assume they're not there.
    Maybe you'll get better results searching through Google ("site:typologycentral.com")

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Thinkers. We are more likely to find technique to improve efficiency.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Maybe you'll get better results searching through Google ("site:typologycentral.com")
    Oh ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The Brain: Why Athletes Are Geniuses
    by Carl Zimmer

Neuroscientists have found several ways in which the brains of top-notch athletes seem to function better than those of regular folks.

Full article here:
    http://discovermagazine.com/2010/apr...-are-geniuses/

If you're interested in athletes, there's plenty of research out there. Athletic ability can be readily observed. It certainly isn't based on a self-reporting instrument: The MBTI does not measure skill or aptitude.
    Interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I guess that's an indirect cause towards sports. I know I would spend hours, right after school, just shooting hoops by myself. And if my mom called me in, I'd push it until it was dark and she'd get mad. That might be a common SP thing. And the more it happens, the better those kids get.

I wouldn't doubt a Ne type could be a great athlete though, but I wonder what sparks it. I kind of suspect Tony Hawk is ENTP, and he just applied his thoughts to something like skateboarding (and the industry surrounding it).
    I guess it is some success causing it to be the focal point.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

So, the only MTBI-specific research I'm aware of is Niednegal's Brain Types, but I think they are a bit dubious as far as published evidence. Here's a very short summary of Niednegal's claims of type-related strengths:

• SFs: Gross motor skills (that is coordination of large muscle groups)
    • SFJs: Control of body movement (practical, step-by-step learning)
    • SFPs: Rhythm/graceful flow and quick reactions (holistic sports learning)
    • STs: Fine motor skills
    • STJs: Dexterity, especially hands/fingers and hand/eye coordination, and defensive strengths
    • STPs: Positional awareness, and offensive strengths
    • NFs: Oral, verbal and hearing skills
    • NFJs: Word/meaning oriented, better at sports where creative calculate pays off (not quick reacting). Give great interviews and commentaries.
    • NFPs: Intonation oriented, excel at artistic interpretation (diving, figure skating, etc)
    • NTs: <ental/logical abstraction skills
    • NTPs: More fine motor skill oriented, with strengths at planning and analysis
    • NTJs: More gross motor skills and goal-oriented;more step-by-step, mechanical and controlled than NTPs (although can react very quickly with practice)

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    So, the only MTBI-specific research I'm aware of is Niednegal's Brain Types, but I think they are a bit dubious as far as published evidence. Here's a very short summary of Niednegal's claims of type-related strengths:

• STJs: Dexterity, especially hands/fingers and hand/eye coordination, and defensive strengths
    • NFJs: Word/meaning oriented, better at sports where creative calculate pays off (not quick reacting). Give great interviews and commentaries.
    • NFPs: Intonation oriented, excel at artistic interpretation (diving, figure skating, etc)
    • NTJs: More gross motor skills and goal-oriented;more step-by-step, mechanical and controlled than NTPs (although can react very quickly with practice)
    I've read the isfp description from him. I do actually see myself in that description quite strongly. In temperament at least. Gross motor skills too. I am a bit iffy on how graceful I am though... rhythmic maybe, but it takes, has taken practice.

I voted feelers. To balance out the thinkers that weren't doing much thinkin'

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I'm generally terrible at sports, with the exception of badminton (but only singles, doubles never ends well). I like trying to anticipate the strength or direction of my opponent's next move, but at the same time preparing to instantly react to any possibility.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think T/F makes a difference in overall athletic ability. I would think it's more of an S/N thing with S types having an advantage. N's can be athletes too, probably less likely to come naturally though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post

I read that book. Apparently INTPs tend to suck at sports considering the dearth of INTP athletes listed.
    I pretty much suck at both gross and fine motor skills. I am good at the planning and analysis though.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I'm not sure T and F specifically effect athletic ability but I play rugby at a high level and the majority of females you see playing top level physical sport are Sensors and Thinkers. In fact I would say about 80-90% of the team I play for are *ST*

There are exceptions to the rule and obviously this is a very physical sport so could be different in different sports.