• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which are better athletes, thinkers or feelers?

Which are better athletes, thinkers or feelers?

• Thinkers

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Feelers

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • They are equally good, just in different ways/areas.

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
not related obviously.

wolfy

awsm
Being good at something is mostly a result of practice. A tendency to practice at certain things and a liking for certain types of competitive environments could generally be associated with type I suppose. But, it is pretty loose kind of association and doesn't really point to talent at sport.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a really good ENFP friend in wrestling during high school. No one on the team could touch the passion he had for the sport. That's gotta count for something.

I also think Aryton Senna maybe was an ENFP, and he was also very passionate. Possibly an ENTP.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I had a really good ENFP friend in wrestling during high school. No one on the team could touch the passion he had for the sport. That's gotta count for something.

I also think Aryton Senna maybe was an ENFP, and he was also very passionate. Possibly an ENTP.

Ayrton is one of my favorite athletes ever... :yes:

KDude

Being good at something is mostly a result of practice. A tendency to practice at certain things and a liking for certain types of competitive environments could generally be associated with type I suppose. But, it is pretty loose kind of association and doesn't really point to talent at sport.

I guess that's an indirect cause towards sports. I know I would spend hours, right after school, just shooting hoops by myself. And if my mom called me in, I'd push it until it was dark and she'd get mad. That might be a common SP thing. And the more it happens, the better those kids get.

I wouldn't doubt a Ne type could be a great athlete though, but I wonder what sparks it. I kind of suspect Tony Hawk is ENTP, and he just applied his thoughts to something like skateboarding (and the industry surrounding it).

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
To tell the truth, if you look at the best athletes, you won't really see much difference in how good they are based on the T and F. It seems to me that the best athletes are Se users.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. I wonder about which things you can correlate with type and which you can't. Obviously the way the question is phrased elicits a value judgment, which is not the underlying question. People apply typology to career choice, hobbies, relationship behaviors, etc., but where do you stop? What couldn't you apply it to, and why? Could you potentially apply it to everything in some small way? I agree with the Se bit. I should make a thread about typology application to see what people think.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Interesting. I wonder about which things you can correlate with type and which you can't. Obviously the way the question is phrased elicits a value judgment, which is not the underlying question. People apply typology to career choice, hobbies, relationship behaviors, etc., but where do you stop? What couldn't you apply it to, and why? Could you potentially apply it to everything in some small way? I agree with the Se bit. I should make a thread about typology application to see what people think.

There have already been threads about this. Also, on a random note, I thought TJ's make the best office administrators.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok. I'll try to find them. Is there some trick to searching that I don't know about? I never seem to be able to find the things I'm looking for, and then I assume they're not there.

KDude

Ok. I'll try to find them. Is there some trick to searching that I don't know about? I never seem to be able to find the things I'm looking for, and then I assume they're not there.

Maybe you'll get better results searching through Google ("site:typologycentral.com")

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thinkers. We are more likely to find technique to improve efficiency.

wolfy

awsm
The Brain: Why Athletes Are Geniuses
by Carl Zimmer

Neuroscientists have found several ways in which the brains of top-notch athletes seem to function better than those of regular folks.

Full article here:
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/apr/16-the-brain-athletes-are-geniuses/

If you're interested in athletes, there's plenty of research out there. Athletic ability can be readily observed. It certainly isn't based on a self-reporting instrument: The MBTI does not measure skill or aptitude.

Interesting read.

I guess that's an indirect cause towards sports. I know I would spend hours, right after school, just shooting hoops by myself. And if my mom called me in, I'd push it until it was dark and she'd get mad. That might be a common SP thing. And the more it happens, the better those kids get.

I wouldn't doubt a Ne type could be a great athlete though, but I wonder what sparks it. I kind of suspect Tony Hawk is ENTP, and he just applied his thoughts to something like skateboarding (and the industry surrounding it).

I guess it is some success causing it to be the focal point.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, the only MTBI-specific research I'm aware of is Niednegal's Brain Types, but I think they are a bit dubious as far as published evidence. Here's a very short summary of Niednegal's claims of type-related strengths:

• SFs: Gross motor skills (that is coordination of large muscle groups)
  • SFJs: Control of body movement (practical, step-by-step learning)
  • SFPs: Rhythm/graceful flow and quick reactions (holistic sports learning)
  • STs: Fine motor skills
  • STJs: Dexterity, especially hands/fingers and hand/eye coordination, and defensive strengths
  • STPs: Positional awareness, and offensive strengths
  • NFs: Oral, verbal and hearing skills
  • NFJs: Word/meaning oriented, better at sports where creative calculate pays off (not quick reacting). Give great interviews and commentaries.
  • NFPs: Intonation oriented, excel at artistic interpretation (diving, figure skating, etc)
  • NTs: <ental/logical abstraction skills
  • NTPs: More fine motor skill oriented, with strengths at planning and analysis
  • NTJs: More gross motor skills and goal-oriented;more step-by-step, mechanical and controlled than NTPs (although can react very quickly with practice)

wolfy

awsm
So, the only MTBI-specific research I'm aware of is Niednegal's Brain Types, but I think they are a bit dubious as far as published evidence. Here's a very short summary of Niednegal's claims of type-related strengths:

• STJs: Dexterity, especially hands/fingers and hand/eye coordination, and defensive strengths
  • NFJs: Word/meaning oriented, better at sports where creative calculate pays off (not quick reacting). Give great interviews and commentaries.
  • NFPs: Intonation oriented, excel at artistic interpretation (diving, figure skating, etc)
  • NTJs: More gross motor skills and goal-oriented;more step-by-step, mechanical and controlled than NTPs (although can react very quickly with practice)

I've read the isfp description from him. I do actually see myself in that description quite strongly. In temperament at least. Gross motor skills too. I am a bit iffy on how graceful I am though... rhythmic maybe, but it takes, has taken practice.

I voted feelers. To balance out the thinkers that weren't doing much thinkin'

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm generally terrible at sports, with the exception of badminton (but only singles, doubles never ends well). I like trying to anticipate the strength or direction of my opponent's next move, but at the same time preparing to instantly react to any possibility.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think T/F makes a difference in overall athletic ability. I would think it's more of an S/N thing with S types having an advantage. N's can be athletes too, probably less likely to come naturally though.

I read that book. Apparently INTPs tend to suck at sports considering the dearth of INTP athletes listed.
I pretty much suck at both gross and fine motor skills. I am good at the planning and analysis though.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure T and F specifically effect athletic ability but I play rugby at a high level and the majority of females you see playing top level physical sport are Sensors and Thinkers. In fact I would say about 80-90% of the team I play for are *ST*

There are exceptions to the rule and obviously this is a very physical sport so could be different in different sports.