User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which are better athletes, thinkers or feelers?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thinkers

11 39.29%
  • Feelers

3 10.71%
  • They are equally good, just in different ways/areas.

14 50.00%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Basically, I think testosterone plays a big role on how competitive people are; and Helen Fisher's ''director'' personality, which is associated with a high testosterone activity, is also loosely correlated with mbti thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I really don't think it matters.

I don't even think Se is all that important or influential except perhaps as providing a motivation to actually play and practice, but even then it's murky since Se can find expression in a lot of different activities besides sports.
    Yeah, I think I started like any other kid. I wiped out when I first rode a bike. I was clueless in my first little league soccer game.. actually ran the other way and scored for the other team. lol.. I got better from the motivation and practice. I was always outside. I guess Se just provides a gravitation towards these things. And when I started winning, I think it was more skills or control than any competitiveness. A few years after learning to ride a bike, I won a bike competition.. but I don't remember trying hard to win (not all of it was races, but lame obstacles and objective scores). Funnily, some kids stole my bike after that. They were the competitive minded. Sore losers. I got my bike back though.

The Brain: Why Athletes Are Geniuses
    by Carl Zimmer

Neuroscientists have found several ways in which the brains of top-notch athletes seem to function better than those of regular folks.

Full article here:
    http://discovermagazine.com/2010/apr...-are-geniuses/

If you're interested in athletes, there's plenty of research out there. Athletic ability can be readily observed. It certainly isn't based on a self-reporting instrument: The MBTI does not measure skill or aptitude.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I don't think it's really a thinker vs feeler thing. However, someone has written a book detailing which MBTI types tend to have particular athletic strengths and what sports they are drawn to and which types may have to work harder to achieve success athletically. I can't remember where it is but I'll see if I can hunt it up. I've read excerpts but I'd like to order it in and read the whole thing.

'm not feelin' this thread
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, this feeler is going to do five hill repeats on the bike after work...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think they have the same ability to be good, just in different ways or for different reasons depending on their judging functions (for example a xxTJ might be better at strategics, and an xxFJ at teamwork; a Ti type at a particular type of precision, an Fi type at pure passion or drive to be the best/to stand out).

Then Se vs. Si might determine if they choose sports for the excitement and competitiveness, or the goal of precise perfection at that skill.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Double threads merged
    Thanks, that was an accident.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Cool. I'm definitely not attached to my ideas on the matter; if I'm totally wrong that's fine. I wanted to know what people thought. I'll read that article on athletes, it sounds really interesting.

Obviously we're talking about all physical characteristics being equal, and acknowledging that anyone who wants to be good at something can do it if they work hard enough.

I for example, am not very good at sports which require being aware of a lot of different things in my environment, because of lack of Se. I'm more focused. I'm not very good at things in general involving the function. But I enjoy and am good at creative activities, and I'm fairly good at things involving thinking, such as rock climbing and marksmanship.

MBTI
    STUF

THINKERS ARE THE BETTER ATHLETES BECAUSE THEY USE THEIR BRAIN MORE, DUH.
    Whoops.