• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian Athletes

gromit

likes this
In response to my initial post... it's interesting, now that I've taken exercise physiology since then, I would probably say that I wasn't eating enough carbs that week, since my activity and intensity levels were a lot higher than average, but I don't know if I was eating enough to account for that increased intensity.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Ftr, I am 100% northern italian and can drink milk and eat dairy without farting at all...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ftr, I am 100% northern italian and can drink milk and eat dairy without farting at all...

Italians are a mix of many peoples, not least of all scandinavian and other germanic peoples.
Especially in the north, where you come from.
Lombards, vandals, normans (vikings), germans during the Holy Roman Empire etc.
It's not so strange that you can tolerate it if you inherited the gene.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Italians are a mix of many peoples, not least of all scandinavian and other germanic peoples.
Especially in the north, where you come from.
Lombards, vandals, normans (vikings), germans during the Holy Roman Empire etc.
It's not so strange that you can tolerate it if you inherited the gene.

Well, the best cheese usually comes from the regions around the alps. And in those regions, most people are dark haired, dark-eyed, and relatively short. So I think there is an "alpine" substratum which might be responsible for that, rather than anything nordic.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, the best cheese usually comes from the regions around the alps. And in those regions, most people are dark haired, dark-eyed, and relatively short. So I think there is an "alpine" substratum which might be responsible for that, rather than anything nordic.

I was under the impression that there generally isn't much lactose in cheese?
Is there any basis for alpine populations tolerating lactose better than average?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
???? He doesn't look "predominantly black" to me. IMO he definitely looks mixed. I'd say looks more latino or prominently European than black.

Just look at this picture with Michael Strahan (who mostly likely has a white ancestor or two himself). 2008+ESPY+Awards+After+Party+7ym3E_K5sMwl.jpg

MBTI Type
INTJ
???? He doesn't look "predominantly black" to me. IMO he definitely looks mixed. I'd say looks more latino or prominently European than black.

Just look at this picture with Michael Strahan (who mostly likely has a white ancestor or two himself). View attachment 9239

You're clearly right. But to racists, 1% black is black.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mike Tyson is now vegan. You can look up lists of vegetarian and Vegan athletes on Wikipedia, lots of people are vegetarian now.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was under the impression that there generally isn't much lactose in cheese?
Is there any basis for alpine populations tolerating lactose better than average?

There's casein in cheese. Northern European people formed an adaptation to milk out of necessity (living in cold climates)....the vast majority of adults in the world who do not have this ancestry are lactose intolerant.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In response to my initial post... it's interesting, now that I've taken exercise physiology since then, I would probably say that I wasn't eating enough carbs that week, since my activity and intensity levels were a lot higher than average, but I don't know if I was eating enough to account for that increased intensity.

A lot of vegetarian hikers swear by granola, especially that which contains nuts, because it's extremely high in calories (it will put weight on you if you are sedentary and you eat too much)...thus the concept of trail mixes for long distance backpacking. I am not well versed in how many calories all types of athletes need, but as a vegetarian you can get calories super easy because you still consume eggs and cheese.

gromit

likes this
A lot of vegetarian hikers swear by granola, especially that which contains nuts, because it's extremely high in calories (it will put weight on you if you are sedentary and you eat too much)...thus the concept of trail mixes for long distance backpacking. I am not well versed in how many calories all types of athletes need, but as a vegetarian you can get calories super easy because you still consume eggs and cheese.

Yeah getting enough calories is important, but your body processes carbs/ fat/protein differently so you definitely need a balance!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah getting enough calories is important, but your body processes carbs/ fat/protein differently so you definitely need a balance!

Definitely agree, which is why you wouldn't want to overdo it with granola and would probably want to include nuts, it's just a suggestion for a way to obtain vegetarian fuel that is used by hard core hikers. Dark chocolate thrown in can give you extra protein as well, and of course fruits and veggies, but those tend to be low calorie and low fat with some exceptions like avacado.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are two prominent vegans who are NFL players: Tony Gonzalez and Arian Foster. If they can do it vegan, I'm sure you can do it vegetarian. Maybe a Google search of them will turn up details on their diets.

yeah, they probably also have people planning and making their meals.

There's some UFC (cagefighting) guy that's a vegan and they showed his diet and it took him like all day long just to make enough food to recover.

But it's good you're not a vegan in that sense. Eggs and milk and such are loaded with calories.

These are 2 good links, both forums,but the first is an article on the forum:

Bodybuilding.com - 20 Tips For The Vegetarian Bodybuilder!

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is anybody one?

I played sports in college and I guess my body was more resilient then. I still want to be vegetarian now, but I need to be more conscious. I am 28 and have been generally meat-free for almost 14 years. I think I over-did it this past week or so, either too much exercise or not enough food or not enough of the right kind of food (maybe not enough sleep too). So I have been taking it a bit easier in terms of exercise until my energy returns. Today is a bit better!

Eat lots of eggs, cheese, beans/legumes, whole grains, fresh produce, some protein supplement like boca burger or whey protein in smoothies. Things I try to pay attention to:
  • Protein
  • Iron
  • B-12

It doesn't seem like there is a lot of overlap. My vegetarian/vegan friends tend to be pretty scrawny, not into sports beside maybe riding bicycles or yoga. My athlete friends love to eat steak and things like that.

I'm not what most would consider an "athlete", but I am a vegetarian, and I climb mountains. Btw, it sounds like you might actually be consuming TOO MUCH protein. Bocca burgers are okay, and all, homemade's WAY better, but they should be treated like luxury items. Visit your doc and have them run some labs on ya if you're really concerned.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I want to add here that B12 is more of a concern for vegans than lacto-ovo vegetarian. ...which can easily be supplemented with nutritional yeast (not baking yeast, full of Vitamin B12 and amino acids and yummy in scrambled tofu, in pasta dishes, even on popcorn or certain kinds of veggies) or if you hate nutritional yeast you could get B12 shots or take a chewable or sublingual supplement (Alive chewable vitamins are veg as long as you aren't a bee product avoider)...

American people usually consume too much protein, which can actually be easily found in quinoa, beans and rice, nuts and seeds, dark chocolate, legumes and pea protein, not just in tofu or "fake meats" (fake meats should be used in moderation).

As a woman your main concern is likely iron, which you can supplement by using black strap molasses in place of other sweeteners in coffee or tea and baking, or in your oatmeal, and by eating beans ...my mother's doctor told her during menstrual cycles to eat beans and drink orange juice, something about the way iron is processed in the body.

It bears pointing out too that many people who are not vegetarian have nutritional deficiencies because they don't eat fruits and vegetables, or because they eat too much processed food. You can actually be overweight and have nutritional deficiencies.