Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    In response to my initial post... it's interesting, now that I've taken exercise physiology since then, I would probably say that I wasn't eating enough carbs that week, since my activity and intensity levels were a lot higher than average, but I don't know if I was eating enough to account for that increased intensity.
    A lot of vegetarian hikers swear by granola, especially that which contains nuts, because it's extremely high in calories (it will put weight on you if you are sedentary and you eat too much)...thus the concept of trail mixes for long distance backpacking. I am not well versed in how many calories all types of athletes need, but as a vegetarian you can get calories super easy because you still consume eggs and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    A lot of vegetarian hikers swear by granola, especially that which contains nuts, because it's extremely high in calories (it will put weight on you if you are sedentary and you eat too much)...thus the concept of trail mixes for long distance backpacking. I am not well versed in how many calories all types of athletes need, but as a vegetarian you can get calories super easy because you still consume eggs and cheese.
    Yeah getting enough calories is important, but your body processes carbs/ fat/protein differently so you definitely need a balance!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah getting enough calories is important, but your body processes carbs/ fat/protein differently so you definitely need a balance!
    Definitely agree, which is why you wouldn't want to overdo it with granola and would probably want to include nuts, it's just a suggestion for a way to obtain vegetarian fuel that is used by hard core hikers. Dark chocolate thrown in can give you extra protein as well, and of course fruits and veggies, but those tend to be low calorie and low fat with some exceptions like avacado.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    There are two prominent vegans who are NFL players: Tony Gonzalez and Arian Foster. If they can do it vegan, I'm sure you can do it vegetarian. Maybe a Google search of them will turn up details on their diets.
    yeah, they probably also have people planning and making their meals.

There's some UFC (cagefighting) guy that's a vegan and they showed his diet and it took him like all day long just to make enough food to recover.

But it's good you're not a vegan in that sense. Eggs and milk and such are loaded with calories.

These are 2 good links, both forums,but the first is an article on the forum:

Bodybuilding.com - 20 Tips For The Vegetarian Bodybuilder!

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Is anybody one?

I played sports in college and I guess my body was more resilient then. I still want to be vegetarian now, but I need to be more conscious. I am 28 and have been generally meat-free for almost 14 years. I think I over-did it this past week or so, either too much exercise or not enough food or not enough of the right kind of food (maybe not enough sleep too). So I have been taking it a bit easier in terms of exercise until my energy returns. Today is a bit better!

Eat lots of eggs, cheese, beans/legumes, whole grains, fresh produce, some protein supplement like boca burger or whey protein in smoothies. Things I try to pay attention to:
    • Protein
    • Iron
    • B-12

It doesn't seem like there is a lot of overlap. My vegetarian/vegan friends tend to be pretty scrawny, not into sports beside maybe riding bicycles or yoga. My athlete friends love to eat steak and things like that.
    I'm not what most would consider an "athlete", but I am a vegetarian, and I climb mountains. Btw, it sounds like you might actually be consuming TOO MUCH protein. Bocca burgers are okay, and all, homemade's WAY better, but they should be treated like luxury items. Visit your doc and have them run some labs on ya if you're really concerned.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83
    Likes gromit liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I want to add here that B12 is more of a concern for vegans than lacto-ovo vegetarian. ...which can easily be supplemented with nutritional yeast (not baking yeast, full of Vitamin B12 and amino acids and yummy in scrambled tofu, in pasta dishes, even on popcorn or certain kinds of veggies) or if you hate nutritional yeast you could get B12 shots or take a chewable or sublingual supplement (Alive chewable vitamins are veg as long as you aren't a bee product avoider)...

American people usually consume too much protein, which can actually be easily found in quinoa, beans and rice, nuts and seeds, dark chocolate, legumes and pea protein, not just in tofu or "fake meats" (fake meats should be used in moderation).

As a woman your main concern is likely iron, which you can supplement by using black strap molasses in place of other sweeteners in coffee or tea and baking, or in your oatmeal, and by eating beans ...my mother's doctor told her during menstrual cycles to eat beans and drink orange juice, something about the way iron is processed in the body.

It bears pointing out too that many people who are not vegetarian have nutritional deficiencies because they don't eat fruits and vegetables, or because they eat too much processed food. You can actually be overweight and have nutritional deficiencies.
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

I kind of wish I had never made this thread
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I kind of wish I had never made this thread
    Why is that? ... "Why is that, Hun?" in a Grandmotherly tone.