User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Myth!

I have been a lifelong vegetarian (never eaten meat) and I have never been malnourished. My mom is a nutritionist.

Here's an article:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives...t-go-away.html
    hmm. as stated in the article, this idea appears very frequently from a variety of sources i'd tend to find reputable, but it's possible they (and me too) are wrong.

the article's sources have links that don't seem to work, but one that does doesn't seem like it's cooked up nonsense. i'd say more data is needed here and i'm not fully sure what is being suggested.

it does suggest eating a variety of plant sources and that some aminos are provided in excess, but also suggests that under some conditions people can eat a diet of just rice and be alright, based on the measurement of nitrogen availability, and i don't know how that works. though i'm still skeptical of a rice fed diet meeting protein needs in someone who is active.

to clarify: i was not suggesting that vegetarian diets are necessarily inadequate, or that you need to eat mixed proteins at every meal, though was saying as long as they are eaten with a day or so of each other.

hmm.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Sorry I'm a little late to the thread. I'm a bit out of practice right now, but when I was in the best shape of my life I'd been vegan for years. I ran about 5 km/day, probably five days a week. I know a lot of people do more, but I felt great. I eat a lot of carbs and legumes and about every other day take a supplement that has B-12.

TONS of accomplished athletes are or have been veg, and it's an increasingly popular trend among many athletes, including those in stereotypically macho sports like baseball, American football, and mixed martial arts.

I am non vegetarian but I like more vegetarian foods in my diet.
    I eat non veggies to get all nutrition and protein stuff in my diet. I eat fish and meat twice a month and eggs one time a week.
    Last edited by Montgomery456; 03-30-2013 at 09:42 AM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I believe vegetarian is OK for athletes.

Vegan is what would be complicated, since there is only a handful of vegan food which contains all the right proteins (legumes, mostly, and not even all of them).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Sorry I'm a little late to the thread. I'm a bit out of practice right now, but when I was in the best shape of my life I'd been vegan for years. I ran about 5 km/day, probably five days a week. I know a lot of people do more, but I felt great. I eat a lot of carbs and legumes and about every other day take a supplement that has B-12.

TONS of accomplished athletes are or have been veg, and it's an increasingly popular trend among many athletes, including those in stereotypically macho sports like baseball, American football, and mixed martial arts.

YEAH veg doesn't have to mean wimpy!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I think there is definitely a great deal of difference between different people.
    Both when it concerns individuals and ethnicities/races.
    For instance, Scandinavians can drink milk without becoming fart machines.
    Most of us never lose the enzyme to break down lactose (thus taking it up better).
    My daily milk consumption is around three pints, or 1,5 liters.
    Sometimes less, sometimes more. My body really hates being without it, too.

Same thing with meat/fish/chicken etc.
    I feel weakened if I do not eat meat. Particularly fish. Even if I eat exactly the same food as the vegetarian for a long period of time.
    I had a girlfriend who was vegetarian, and I tried it for a few months. It definitely does not work for me.
    Or... Well, it works... But it does not work well. I wish it did.
    My mother and father tried it when they were younger, and it was the same there.
    Worked for my mother, but not for my father. My mother is 100% swedish.
    My father has norwegian blood a while back, and we both look a lot more norwegian than swedish.
    It's a difference in bone structure, hair type/growth, body composition/phenotype etc.
    Historically, the diets have been very different. Still are, even if it has evened out.
    I can't seem to find it, but I read something about a lot of norwegians having a genetic mutation that caused them to be dependent on fish.
    It was in relation to something truly weird that happened to my father, who hates fish.

He hadn't eaten it for years, his health was declining rapidly. Heart problems, super-low iron blood levels, digestive problems and who knows what.
    He had to go take iron shots every week... Until... The bastard started eating fish again. Now he doesn't have problems.
    So, I make it a point to eat a lot of salmon, herring, tuna and such. Can't stand cod or most other white fish, though.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

There are two prominent vegans who are NFL players: Tony Gonzalez and Arian Foster. If they can do it vegan, I'm sure you can do it vegetarian. Maybe a Google search of them will turn up details on their diets.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    There are two prominent vegans who are NFL players: Tony Gonzalez and Arian Foster. If they can do it vegan, I'm sure you can do it vegetarian. Maybe a Google search of them will turn up details on their diets.
    They are both black. I am not, and we are separated by hundreds of thousands of years of separate evolution. Before you go crazy on me, I did not say "we evolved, they didn't".
    I just said "separate evolution". I only say that we are different, and here's why:
    Homo Erectus found in China that is 760 000 to 780 000 years old ("the Peking man") completely disproves the "Out of Africa" idea that says we separated approximately 100 000 years ago.
    It all points towards parallel evolution, not the Afrocentric creationist-like lies that have been spread around schools for a good while for no good reason.
    What is still fairly intact is that Europeans separated from Asians somewhere around 61 000 years ago.
    Either way. If you compare things, dogs have existed (separate from wolves) for around 10 000 years.
    Selective breeding to create specific traits in dog races has only been done in the last 6000 years or so.
    You can readily accept that short time as having done lots of difference when it comes to dogs and other forms of life.
    Humans are not an exception to the laws of nature.
    Anyway... People have to take this into account when talking about what diet is best for whom.
    We are not the same, and do not work the same even if we are pretty similar.
    We have different bone density, bone structure, hormone levels, digestion, different brains, body composition etc.
    We're made to live different lives in different localities. Different diets is definitely a part of that.

What works there, does not necessarily work for me or anyone else. As you might be aware, fruit and vegetables is and always have been a much more frequent staple in African diet than in European.
    Ours consisted primarily of meat. Of course with some nuts, berries, in some places dairy and root vegetables etc.
    That's one factor that made us who we are today.
    I'll leave it up to you to decide what you think worked best.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

I don't have to go crazy on you. I can just tell you that you're wrong.

According to a Sports Illustrated article Gonzalez comes from a very diverse family; his father being of Portuguese, Jamaican and Scottish descent, and his mother's family being of African American, Caucasian, Cuban and Native American ancestry.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't have to go crazy on you. I can just tell you that you're wrong.

According to a Sports Illustrated article Gonzalez comes from a very diverse family; his father being of Portuguese, Jamaican and Scottish descent, and his mother's family being of African American, Caucasian, Cuban and Native American ancestry.
    All parts equal? He looks predominantly black.