User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: oh sh!t...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default oh sh!t...

I should be smarter than this since it's not a new behavior habit of mine in particular... I mean, it's not exactly the same old song and dance, but it's not different enough that I should be shocked...

I've been pretty stressed with bullshit from life recently and I've never had the best chopping mechanisms for that, I suppose... I've had shit at work and shit at home and really no escape from any of that, but I shouldn't make excuses because I KNOW better. I've gone out of town a few times and I always have trouble sleeping in hotels... The first time I went I had a cold so I picked up a bottle of Nyquil, which was awesome because I slept like a baby... The next time a coworker gave me an almost full bottle of ambien, which was even more awesome... Sleep without the terrible death liquorice flavor! I thought it would be great for when I'm out of town! Then I started having trouble unwinding in the evening this past week so I took some more... Instant relaxation, but trouble functioning in the morning, so a ton of caffeine during the day to wake up and then wired again in the evening...

I KNOW this pattern and where it'll lead, so some alternative suggestions would be awesome... I naturally desire to be able to turn off... What other options exist?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Melatonin. You can get it at a heath food store of drugstore.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Melatonin. You can get it at a heath food store of drugstore.
    yeah... the problem is that I'm really not that hot on the idea of being dependent upon ANY substance for anything again
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Oh okay. Well, whenever I have trouble with relaxation and sleep I found exercise and maintaining a schedule to be most effective. A long run/rollerblade/walk or strenuous yoga session combined with listening to some of my favorite relaxing jams usually does it for me. It gives me time to be alone and process whatss going on , and physically it gets rid of some muscle tension and gets me tired.

I've read that having a nightly routine that you do at the same time each night helps a lot with this type of problem. Basically conditioning yourself for sleep. Maybe a workout, shower, light reading and then bed time. Or whatever works for you.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Some ideas: routine, healthy eating, regular exercise, meditation. Also, try avoiding bright light a half hour to an hour before you go to bed- this includes television and computer screens. And personally, showers tend to relax me, but they also tend to wake me up a bit at least on occasion, so maybe you'd want to do that a while before going to bed...it's up to you. Above all, be patient enough to try different things and realize that changes might take time to work to full effect, and don't get discouraged if you can't always stick with something all the time without exception.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm not being a smart ass in saying this, I promise.
    As far as non-chemical assistance for sleeping goes...
    There's nothing that helps me get to sleep better than sex.
    If you're SO is not available, then masturbation is the next best thing.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Best thing that works for me is smoking. I don't find it habit forming. Some nights I don't need it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Look into calcium/magnesium.
    By the way, some people get obnoxious withdrawal symptoms from using Ambien.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Oh okay. Well, whenever I have trouble with relaxation and sleep I found exercise and maintaining a schedule to be most effective. A long run/rollerblade/walk or strenuous yoga session combined with listening to some of my favorite relaxing jams usually does it for me. It gives me time to be alone and process whatss going on , and physically it gets rid of some muscle tension and gets me tired.

I've read that having a nightly routine that you do at the same time each night helps a lot with this type of problem. Basically conditioning yourself for sleep. Maybe a workout, shower, light reading and then bed time. Or whatever works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Some ideas: routine, healthy eating, regular exercise, meditation. Also, try avoiding bright light a half hour to an hour before you go to bed- this includes television and computer screens. And personally, showers tend to relax me, but they also tend to wake me up a bit at least on occasion, so maybe you'd want to do that a while before going to bed...it's up to you. Above all, be patient enough to try different things and realize that changes might take time to work to full effect, and don't get discouraged if you can't always stick with something all the time without exception.
    we did use to walk around the neighborhood together in the evenings or do some yard work, but it's been ungodly hot here lately and I've been beat by the time I get home from being out in the heat all day... and I do read before falling asleep... I've tried that one and ended up awake until 3

not to mention that if routine didn't describe my home life it wouldn't describe ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    if I got sex every night I'd think I'd died and that there actually WAS a heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Best thing that works for me is smoking. I don't find it habit forming. Some nights I don't need it.
    I do find it habit forming... a pack a day worth of habit forming

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Look into calcium/magnesium.
    By the way, some people get obnoxious withdrawal symptoms from using Ambien.
    I DO keep properly nourished!

and TAKING it gives enough issues... I feel genuinely stupid anymore, which kind of discourages me from posting in a way

trying to avoid my old schedule of starting the day with a cup of coffee while getting ready and 3 redbulls on my way to work, more caffeine throughout the day and then alcohol and sleeping medication at night to knock myself out... and then starting the whole cycle all over again... dying like Elvis really isn't on my bucket list

mostly I know that I'm pretty predisposed to be an addict and want to avoid adding something else to my "must avoid" list