User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: The Paleo Diet

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Mmm...I was with you up until that point. I don't think butter is a part of the Paleo diet (being from an udder and all)
    That is correct.

and I also get the impression that one isn't supposed to live solely off of ribeyes and pork belly. Fish and poultry seem to be preferred meats from what I can tell so far.
    Also correct.

There is a personal trainer in my area who advocates what he calls the paleo zone diet, which is the paleo diet foods (fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, meat/fish/poultry) in the 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein ratio of the zone diet. I have not tried it myself and I can't comment on its merits.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    That is correct.

Also correct.

There is a personal trainer in my area who advocates what he calls the paleo zone diet, which is the paleo diet foods (fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, meat/fish/poultry) in the 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein ratio of the zone diet. I have not tried it myself and I can't comment on its merits.
    Thats the diet i used to be on...except it was 30% healthy fats (unsaturated) but even then there will be some amount of saturated fat. It was difficult for me because i am a veggie and they also didn't agree with soya being in the diet so i ate masses of quorn and other high protein meat alternatives. I found the diet very difficult to maintain but it might have been because i got one day off the diet per week.
    I found the reduction of carbs the hardest part... i did the diet for 9-12 months and still craved the carbs right till the end of it, i have heard that others get used to it quickly though.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Mmm...I was with you up until that point. I don't think butter is a part of the Paleo diet (being from an udder and all) and I also get the impression that one isn't supposed to live solely off of ribeyes and pork belly. Fish and poultry seem to be preferred meats from what I can tell so far. I'm not trying to say it's more healthy than the diet you adhere to - which seems very reasonable and, to my better knowledge, very healthy - but I don't want to go so far as to say it's less healthy, either.
    Oh, I don't adhere to that diet at all. I'm too lazy/easily tempted for that, plus I hate the d-word. It just seems like the healthiest from what I know about food.

I might have been getting some of it confused with atkins. I know you're not supposed to eat much/any dairy - I thought animal fats like butter were fine, though. Still, I don't think non-red meat, while probably heathier than red meat, is necessarily healthy in huge quantities either. My impression of the paleo diet is that they're in huge quantities, which can be hard on your kidneys and who knows what else. I don't think there's enough data out there to really say any more than that either way, though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

If you really want to learn more about it, The Deadly Harvest is a great book. I'm currently striving to cut out sugar/too many carbs/too much dairy and focus on a high vegetable/protein/nuts diet. It's freakin hard. But I'm doing it one step at a time, and moving on when that step becomes more sustainable. Another awesome thing about this book is he proposes a few "steps" too, so it's not like he's telling you to go cold turkey.

At the moment, my priority is more vegetables and buying meats from a local farmer with grass-fed animals. I don't think I have it in me to become vegetarian, but I do want to make an effort that the meats I support come from well cared for animals.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I might have been getting some of it confused with atkins. I know you're not supposed to eat much/any dairy - I thought animal fats like butter were fine, though. Still, I don't think non-red meat, while probably heathier than red meat, is necessarily healthy in huge quantities either. My impression of the paleo diet is that they're in huge quantities, which can be hard on your kidneys and who knows what else. I don't think there's enough data out there to really say any more than that either way, though.
    From what I understand, there's a lot of debate among the adherents of the paleo diet as to what the ideal ratios are. Some lean heavily toward the fruits/vegetables side, some swing the other way toward Atkins-esque territory, and some (like the guy I mentioned) are more middle-of-the-road.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Oh, I don't adhere to that diet at all. I'm too lazy/easily tempted for that, plus I hate the d-word. It just seems like the healthiest from what I know about food.
    I guess the "d-word" has pretty negative connotations, but I'm trying to look at it from like the very basic definition of "diet" meaning "the things you eat." Just trying to find the healthiest way of eating cause, I dunno, I'm paranoid about my health, I guess. But just about everyone has a different idea of what is the healthiest diet you should adhere to...except when it comes down to things like simple carbs and processed foods.

But vegetarians insist that meat is terrible for you and other people say soy kills or that bread is eroding our bodies from the inside out. And don't even get me started on the raw food movement!

Perhaps I'm overanalyzing things, though.

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    At the moment, my priority is more vegetables and buying meats from a local farmer with grass-fed animals. I don't think I have it in me to become vegetarian, but I do want to make an effort that the meats I support come from well cared for animals.
    Yeah really, if anything, buying meats that come from well-raised, grass-fed animals (bonus if they're locally raised) is the key to a healthy meat-eating diet. I frequently go vegetarian if I can't eat meat that I don't have a general back-story on. Sounds a bit elitist, but I've come to the conclusion that it's an important switch one has to make. There's too much shit going on in the conventional meat scene for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Thats the diet i used to be on...except it was 30% healthy fats (unsaturated) but even then there will be some amount of saturated fat. It was difficult for me because i am a veggie and they also didn't agree with soya being in the diet so i ate masses of quorn and other high protein meat alternatives. I found the diet very difficult to maintain but it might have been because i got one day off the diet per week.
    I found the reduction of carbs the hardest part... i did the diet for 9-12 months and still craved the carbs right till the end of it, i have heard that others get used to it quickly though.
    What's quorn?

Thanks for your helpful input!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

What's quorn?
    I was thinking that perhaps it's a Korn tribute band, but then I decided to look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I was thinking that perhaps it's a Korn tribute band, but then I decided to look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
    that sounds um...appetizing.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I've heard of this! A friend of a friend did this after he contracted a parasite and had a heavily restricted diet because of it. Or maybe he could only eat honey, and graduated to that diet when he healed so that way he could transition more easily into normal foods again.

Like randomnity has said, though, the most beneficial thing is probably just avoiding processed foods.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The good aspect of diets: they make people be more aware and conscious of their food.

The bad aspect of diets: They're a LOT more work than merely eating what is convenient now-a-days.

There are common sense aspects everyone knows--processed foods bad, veggies good, etc. But it doesn't matter how healthy it sounds--if it costs $1000 a month to eat healthy hard-to-find foods from whole food stores and hours to prepare, no one's going to do it no matter how old you live to be. I don't want to live to be 112 years old if it meant I spent 5 hours a day worrying about what I ate. I'd rather live to be 75 and have spent it well.

The paleo diet itself, I think, is a good thing because it brings attention to processed foods. Moderation is the key to everything though... If you only eat what Cavemen ate you'd be missing out on important nutrients we have available now. Oats are not the devil just because there's a process involved in making them. Bread is not going to hurt your body when eaten in moderation. It's a good jump-start diet.. if you want to spend two weeks changing up your metabolism by changing your diet drastically, this would be a good diet to go on for that.

I just don't really find it feasible long-term.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge