• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Assault victims, speak up

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So, what was your experience, how did it go? If it turned out to be something terrible, how did you survive?

I got hit by someone during some of the voluntary work I was doing. The man was obviously drunk / under effect of something and said he'll stab anyone who comes near him under the same premise.

I was shocked, but getting hit isn't unusual in my line of volunteer work. I'm happy he didn't bring a handgun. So.

/your story

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I was beat up by two guys in college, in the parking lot of a bar. Broken nose and other things. I had flashbacks until a few years ago. It filled me with uncontrolable rage.
Sometimes I had to pull over because I couldn't see the road in that state.
I was mugged at gunpoint in California, but the guy got no money and I got away. I was really hyped up for a few hours, but didn't sustain any after effects. I thought about following him and clubbing him with a 2x4 that I found nearby, but called the cops instead. ID'ed him in a lineup at the police station and he went to prison. He had mugged 12 people in a few days, a few weeks before Christmas in ~2004.

I'm glad I didn't confront him. I suspect the desire to do so was driven in part by the first experience...

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haven't been assaulted but have had some interesting experiences

- Mugged at gun-point thrice. Once with a knife on my throat
- Forced involvement in political protests [but none where I was physically attacked, however, I merely witnessed beating]
- Involved in a post-bomb rescue operation
- One of the muggings was a near shooting/kidnapping incident. My ex was told to go sit in the mugger's car but I stepped in between the two and told the mugger that he'd have to shoot me first before he could lay a hand on my wife.

I didn't experience any effects of any of the experiences. Though I still suffer from PTSD effects of a near-death road accident [my bike was hit by a car at high speeds] that happened in 2003.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I thought that being physically attacked with force with intent to harm, and causing injury constitutes an assault .. ok I don't like word defintions so much..
Edit: ..unless the harm caused was too trivial

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I won't go into details but I've been assaulted three times. I think the first one caused an internal breakdown? I'm not really sure. This happened a long time ago and I'm coming to grips with it just now. I think it changed the course of my life. It's not something I can contemplate for long periods but it's slowly improving because I changed the circumstances in my life so that I have room to deal with it.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
If family counts...then too many times to keep track of. Outside of that, I was in a lot of fights while I was in the Navy. Most of them were situations that were clear, so it wasn't like sucker punch assaults or anything, all parties were willing and ready. If I've ever been mugged or such I guess it didn't leave much impression since I can't think of any times its happened.