User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 158

  1. #81
    Senior Member tkae.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Not sure what part of the forum this belongs in..

    Anyway- I haven't seen any general threads about pet problems, so I figured I'd start one, and address one of my own. We can all trade tips/experiences.

    So here's my issue-

    My cat, Jack, is 8yrs old. He's always lived with another animal in the house. He's not particularly social or playful with other pets, but, apparently, the lack of an animal's presence is becoming increasingly stressful to him. We've been at my mother's house for some time now- she has a cat of her own. In the summers, she goes away on weekends, taking the cat with her. I've noticed on these weekends, Jack displays increasing anxiety. Literally always following me around- long, plaintive meows, a lot of repetitive pacing. Constantly running to his food dish, wanting it filled [I assume for comfort- I don't give in to this, though.] No matter how much attention through affection, talk, and play I offer, he still seems very anxious.

    I'm concerned about this becoming even worse when we move, soon. There will be no other animals in the apt, at all. How can I comfort him?
    Leaving a TV or radio on can help sometimes. Is there a reason you can't adopt another cat to give him company? That seems like the easiest solution.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

  2. #82
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Leaving a TV or radio on can help sometimes. Is there a reason you can't adopt another cat to give him company? That seems like the easiest solution.
    Thanks for trying to offer a suggestion- but that post was made over 3 yrs ago & resolved around that time.
    Always good to check the post dates on advice threads.


    The so-very-loved feline from that post- Jack- unfortunately lost a battle w/mast cell cancer in March 2014.

    I adopted a cat in Feb this year, & I'll attest to TV/radio being helpful when they have to be alone. Cricket really likes the fish tank & bird videos on youtube. Some last for a couple of hours, which helps if I go out for errands. I'll leave some of those video links at the bottom of this post in case anyone else has a cat loneliness issue & wants to try these out, actually.




    Jack didn't care for them- would look behind the monitor, sniff, & walk off, so it may be hit or miss with some pets, but we worked out Jack's anxiety issues (as well as some others, with much support from the resident cat behaviorist, Amargith).

    Again, I do appreciate you stopping in to offer a suggestion, despite the misalignment in timing.


    Cat Entertainment Videos (w/long runtime)

    30-minute fish tank video from Cricket's vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1XKClRb38

    2 1/2 hr aquarium video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWDVtCJaCQ

    1 hr/45 min bird video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI1_6v_ywoo

    There are a bunch of vids out there, but these seem to hold my cat's attention most often.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Amargith liked this post

  3. #83
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Hey, update on the automatic robot cat toilet- we kept it, and I decided to run it manually once or twice a day and give treats. They love it now. It doesn't go off unless I'm standing next to it with yummies. So it's not always spotless but it's still better than scooping.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Amargith liked this post

  4. #84
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Hey, update on the automatic robot cat toilet- we kept it, and I decided to run it manually once or twice a day and give treats. They love it now. It doesn't go off unless I'm standing next to it with yummies. So it's not always spotless but it's still better than scooping.
    Ingenious

    Bribing is always legal in kitty land

    I absolutely love that you were able to marry your needs with theirs - that's what being a good roommate is all about
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  5. #85
    Senior Member GIjade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    juuust enough to startle them and make them think twice.'
    That's me. (not talking about pet's either).
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

  6. #86
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,716

    Default weird but kind of adorable

    I guess this isn't a problem that merits advice or even resolving, but, does anyone else's cat do this?
    ( @Amargith or anyone else with cats )

    Lately I've been waking up & socks, or the previous day's clothing (occasionally draped over the desk chair) will be in the bed with me. I thought maybe my friend's 6 year-old was doing it (she puts stuffed animals or slippers in her mom's bed sometimes), but I usually lock the bedroom door when I sleep. She and her mother went away for the weekend, & now I've confirmed.

    Cricket's bringing my clothes onto the bed when I'm sleeping.
    Like I said, it's not a problem - he's not chewing or clawing them up, or even sleeping on them. He just leaves them by my legs & cuddles up by my chest while I sleep.

    What the heck is the motivation for this, I wonder?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  7. #87
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I guess this isn't a problem that merits advice or even resolving, but, does anyone else's cat do this?
    ( @Amargith or anyone else with cats )

    Lately I've been waking up & socks, or the previous day's clothing (occasionally draped over the desk chair) will be in the bed with me. I thought maybe my friend's 6 year-old was doing it (she puts stuffed animals or slippers in her mom's bed sometimes), but I usually lock the bedroom door when I sleep. She and her mother went away for the weekend, & now I've confirmed.

    Cricket's bringing my clothes onto the bed when I'm sleeping.
    Like I said, it's not a problem - he's not chewing or clawing them up, or even sleeping on them. He just leaves them by my legs & cuddles up by my chest while I sleep.

    What the heck is the motivation for this, I wonder?
    Im putting 10 bucks on....playtime and your scent

    Your bed is where your scent is most concentrated. You're also in the bed. Add to that the clothes you've worn all day and you have a Lex's Perfume Extravaganza. And then there is the added challenge and appeal of doing this and keeping his mind busy while you're sleeping and he has to leave you alone

    That cat needs a tv/something to keep his mind occupied 24/7 with a Lex blanky to snuggle up in - you adopted an Ne-dom (and inferior Si!) kitten, didn't you...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #88
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Im putting 10 bucks on....playtime and your scent

    Your bed is where your scent is most concentrated. You're also in the bed. Add to that the clothes you've worn all day and you have a Lex's Perfume Extravaganza. And then there is the added challenge and appeal of doing this and keeping his mind busy while you're sleeping and he has to leave you alone

    That cat needs a tv/something to keep his mind occupied 24/7 - you adopted an Ne-dom kitten, didn't you...
    Makes sense.. he doesn't bring his other toys into the bed (balls, fuzzy mice, etc).

    We did kind of establish the bed as a play area. At least, he doesn't bite my hair or bat at it anymore, though, so I guess it's not a big deal. He doesn't even attack my legs when I sleep. Most of the time, when I go to bed, he's like, "Bedtime now? kay!" *snuggles*



    Come to think of it, I believe the clothing-transport started as I trained him out of the morning hair-biting ritual.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  9. #89
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    you adopted an Ne-dom (and inferior Si!) kitten, didn't you...
    Oh dear god.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  10. #90
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Oh dear god.
    an exorcism is in order
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] The ENTP advice thread
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
  2. The Advice Thread
    By BlackCat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO