First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I really ought to call this thread "Catlady's Corner," Or "Ask Amar" - since I keep harassing @Amargith.
    *summons from the depths of Europe*

Just wondering if you have any experience with kitties sharpening their claws on crap they aren't supposed to. Chlöe's overall very good about using her post, much to my relief since someone wanted to declaw her. I'm trying to keep that from happening. You saw the video clip of how she used to panic when food was being prepared in the kitchen before. She doesn't do that anymore, fortunately, however, she does stand against the cabinets below the counter, if you're making food. She stretches her paws up, & starts to sharpen on the tops of the cabinets. I guess my mother's going to be getting brand new ones, so she's been edgy about Chlöe's habit with these. It's really not that bad (if it were my house, I wouldn't give a damn, honestly), but I figured I'd consult you, when you have a moment. Any tricks to deter that habit in that particular location? Like I said, she otherwise uses her scratching post religiously. Just trying to ensure she won't end up front-declawed eventually by her materialistic owner.

Thx, either way, lady.
    Well that is a good progression. It means she no longer is anxious as such but she still has too much tension and excitement going through her to not *do* something.

Ever seen a cat fly to its scratching post and maul it when the owner comes home? Same deal. Too much excitement that needs to be vented *somewhere*

So, pick something for her to do, so that she can take out her frustrations without harm. A toy, a food ball, toss a ball for her to chase, even a laser light or...a scratching post. One of the things you could do is attach a scratching pad to one of the kitchen cabinets, or put another scratching post in the kitchen (first in front of the cabinet she chooses, then move it aside once she gets it) for her. A floor/doormat could work too though she is likely a vertical scratcher so she might have to learn how to use it first (catnip helps).

Edit: and Im good with this thread being a democracy
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Well that is a good progression. It means she no longer is anxious as such but she still has too much tension and excitement going through her to not *do* something.

Ever seen a cat fly to its scratching post and maul it when the owner comes home? Same deal. Too much excitement that needs to be vented *somewhere*

So, pick something for her to do, so that she can take out her frustrations without harm. A toy, a food ball, toss a ball for her to chase, even a laser light or...a scratching post. One of the things you could do is attach a scratching pad to one of the kitchen cabinets, or put another scratching post in the kitchen (first in front of the cabinet she chooses, then move it aside once she gets it) for her. A floor/doormat could work too though she is likely a vertical scratcher so she might have to learn how to use it first (catnip helps).

Edit: and Im good with this thread being a democracy
    I bet something like this on the cabinet would work! I didn't even know stuff like that existed.

(it's even made of the same material as her beloved post)

And the day is saved once again.

<3
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I bet something like this on the cabinet would work! I didn't even know stuff like that existed.

(it's even made of the same material as her beloved post)

And the day is saved once again.

<3
    Precisely what i was thinking of! One thing to keep in mind:

Make sure that the scratching pad comes at least as high as where she puts her nails down when she stretches. It is a subconscious move to be nearer to the food, so she is likely to stretch pretty high to claw things up. No point in hanging up a scratching pad when it aint at the right height

Once you hang it up, use a fishing rod toy, or some catnip rubbed on it, to make her realize that it is something to be scratched as she wont know what it is at first - hell, I used to just lift my cats up, and put their paws on the pad or the post, then drop them rather quickly (while still holding them tightly)...the reflex to hold on does the rest
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Does your cat understand any voice commands at all? Mine will stop doing whatever she's doing when I made a certain sound at her. So my question is, does the cat realize you don't want her doing that?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Does your cat understand any voice commands at all? Mine will stop doing whatever she's doing when I made a certain sound at her. So my question is, does the cat realize you don't want her doing that?

Contrary to popular belief, cats are trainable just as dogs are. It's just not as intuitive as training dogs is for us. And, the thing of it is that cats are usually better at training us than we are at training them

So voice commands work just fine. Calling their name is one example, many cats will learn that it means food or cuddles. Considering that their hearing is their best sense, making an unpleasant or even just an intriguing sound that they haven't heard before will usually stop them in their tracks or even make them run. If that behavior then gets rewarded or encouraged, it becomes a command in and of itself. Mine know to drop what they are doing and move away if I go 'Kssssssss', as I made it mighty clear that bad things will happen if they dont. Cats don't like the shhhh sound that comes with it, in fact, many people don't know that they are in fact making their cat cringe when trying to soothe their cat the way you would a baby, as babies associate that sound with the sounds inside the womb and feel safe that way - or so I'm told.

Though even with that negative association to that particular sound - given enough reinforcement that it is in fact a 'good' thing and and plenty of rewarding, the cat will learn that it may be an unpleasant sound but it means good things are coming, and visibly relax like the owner intended
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I just make a small percussive sort of sound, like Ah! but with a snap in it and a certain tone, it doesn't even have to be loud it just has to happen the second she does the thing I don't want, so that it startles her, and it's an excellent deterrent. Especially if then followed by a caressing tone when she sits quietly.

You can generally get their attention with bacon as a treat, if nothing else works, to start voice training your cat. Catnip also works if your cat is sensitive to it.

For the cabinet problem, you can also temporarily line the edges of the cabinet with tin foil.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Sorry, didnt realize you were addressing Lex in this case
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Yeah, I've taken to literally hissing to make cats stop misbehaving - Amar's suggestion. It's pretty effective, but my ISFJ mother wouldn't wanna do that with her little cabinet scratcher. I suggested it before and she was all, "No! I can't be hissing at a cat if I have guests over.. I'd look insane!" (I do it with Jack, who cares who's around. It's our conversation. Humans can butt out)

The hanging scratcher pad and tin foil are worth a try for the preventative measures, I think. I've got some catnip infused spray I can leave here for my mom to use on the scratchpad.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Lex, you can always go for the waterbottle spray thing, if she doesnt want to be hissing at her cat

However, the reason I suggested the scratching pad or toy is coz I think that atm she has too much...excitement still to really have the negative work well. It is like telling someone who is biting their nails to stop biting. They'll stop for 2 seconds then keep going coz its a nervous tick to deal with a situation.

Though I'm pretty sure that once Chloe progresses further to the point where it becomes a habit, rather than a release valve, you can fully deter the behaviour using a spray bottle or even a voice command like 'No'.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Lex, you can always go for the waterbottle spray thing, if she doesnt want to be hissing at her cat

However, the reason I suggested the scratching pad or toy is coz I think that atm she has too much...excitement still to really have the negative work well. It is like telling someone who is biting their nails to stop biting. They'll stop for 2 seconds then keep going coz its a nervous tick to deal with a situation.

Though I'm pretty sure that once Chloe progresses further to the point where it becomes a habit, rather than a release valve, you can fully deter the behaviour using a spray bottle or even a voice command like 'No'.
    Yeah, makes sense. It's funny, she actually responds to 'No,' (sometimes). She jumps a little and trills. As if to say "wat?! i didn't do anything!"
    Yeah, baby steps. I talked over the scratchpad & my mom's good with that idea. So the declawing seems like it won't happen. Fortunately. Also it's almost $500.00, so that's a further deterrent for her right now, though I wish it were more for the cat's wellbeing. Her habits have improved so much.. exception being the other morning when a muffin almost as big as she is was left in a baggie on the counter.. she somehow managed to eat the entire thing, & not get sick. I assume it was her, based on the shredded bag on the floor/crumbs everywhere.. but it could've been my stepfather, hah. I forgot we have to keep things like that IN cabinets, or she'll get at them. Poor garbage-kitty.

Thanks for all your help. (Chlöe thanks you, too)