User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 158

  1. #31
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    anytime!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  2. #32
    Senior Member Keps Mnemnosyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with having unconventional pets?

    Fairly soon here, I'm going to have a couple goats and a couple chickens as pets.. I was wondering if anyone had experience with having these as pets vs just being barn animals.
    Yeah, still looking for information with them. And I more meant like.. methods people have used for handling them and ensuring they are more comfortable around people, etc. They'll be outdoor pets.
    I'm from a hillbilly place of raising animals, and I did not approve of how everything was done, but I will try to give answers to the best of my ability.

    That said, recognize that each goat will have a different personality. Some goats will be shyer, more aggressive, friendlier, or more of an escape artist than others. Goats are good with positive reinforcement with food as they eat a lot and will come to you especially if you can figure out their favorite foods. Just put your hand out with food. As they get used to you, you can pet them or at least some of them. The shyest ones may never be comfortable enough to really allow touching. If you want goats to be friendly to strangers then have everyone who comes feed them small treats.

    The tamest goats come from tame goats. By that I mean if the kids come from a mother that has learned to interact with humans and the kids are also interacted with, when they grow up, they will be very docile. The tamest goat my family had was a runt that was bottle-fed as his mother initially didn't allow him near her. She was eventually moved out onto a leash near the pen with other goats, but we never had anything on him as he never tried to run and would just follow us around as we worked. Sadly he was not very healthy and died a year and a half later. I believe miniature goats have more docile temperaments than regular goats.

    Other information you should know:
    Adults will headbutt kids and can kill them. I suggest having a separate area close by the main pen for mothers and kids for a few months to prevent the worst interactions until they can handle it.

    Billies can kill each other by fighting especially if they get entangled with wire or a halter.

    Billies spray urine on their faces when in rut; expect to get get sprayed on occasion. Also they will stink and are more aggressive.

    They have no qualms about incest. As such they can multiply faster than you expect; luckily the average size of a litter is two kids. I have known a doe that died trying to give birth to nine. Separating sexes is a good idea, but keeping them that way can be harder than it sounds. Castrating would also work; I'm not sure the full effects of this as my family had me researched the technique, but never used it.

    No matter how well you build an enclosure if you have goat who has the escape artist designation, that goat will escape. Luckily, they seem to be rare, and good strong enclosures will work for the majority of goats. Secondly, unless it is the mating season, if there are only one or two goats who have escaped, they are fine, as being social animals, they will stick close to the rest of the group and you can go and round them up. If it is mating season, congratulations, you have just breed goats; expect some kids next year.

    You said you want goats as pets. If you are not interested in dairy, then I suggest just getting 2-3 does before even bothering with a billy, so you do not have to worry about an accidental population explosion. If you really want kids to raise, you could get a pregnant doe and another doe, but you may want someone with birthing experience around when it came time. As herd animals, do not only get one goat as it will be skittish and stressed out without a herd. I know this was long-winded, but sometimes with inexperience you do not know what questions should be asked. Hopefully this helps and that someone else with more knowledge responds.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

    Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

    I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

  3. #33
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    I'm from a hillbilly place of raising animals, and I did not approve of how everything was done, but I will try to give answers to the best of my ability...
    All very awesome advice! And yeah, even though I like the boys better, I'll be getting girls.. the boys are so cute with their little beards, and their more rambunctious disposition, but girls will be easier to care for and smell significantly better. I planned on getting dwarfed goats.. a fainting one and a saanen.



    How can you not love that?!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  4. #34
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    All very awesome advice! And yeah, even though I like the boys better, I'll be getting girls.. the boys are so cute with their little beards, and their more rambunctious disposition, but girls will be easier to care for and smell significantly better. I planned on getting dwarfed goats.. a fainting one and a saanen.



    How can you not love that?!


    Bonus with getting girls.. you can steal their boobmilk/sell it at a farmer's market or something. Or keep it for yourself (if you like that stuff.. blegh [sorry]).

    They are cute, though.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  5. #35
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Bonus with getting girls.. you can steal their boobmilk/sell it at a farmer's market or something. Or keep it for yourself (if you like that stuff.. blegh [sorry]).

    They are cute, though.
    Awesome cute pet AND profit?!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #36
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,743

    Default

    @Amargith-

    Since you're the resident cat guru- I once again must summon you, to ease my worries. *does awkward raindance*

    I just wanted to run this by you, in case you have any info/warnings about it.

    Jack was prescribed one 10mg tablet of Acepromazine for his flight. The duration of the trip [including to/from airports, connections] is about 10 hours. She said to give him half the pill (5mg) before we leave the house, & the other half in the middle of the trip, if necessary.

    Do you know much about this drug? I can't find any particular warnings against it, but you've dealt with more cats & ailments than I have, so I figured I'd run it by you. Jack's 9 yrs old (in June) & just got a clean/awesome bill of health.


    Jack says thank you.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  7. #37
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    @Amargith-

    Since you're the resident cat guru- I once again must summon you, to ease my worries. *does awkward raindance*

    I just wanted to run this by you, in case you have any info/warnings about it.

    Jack was prescribed one 10mg tablet of Acepromazine for his flight. The duration of the trip [including to/from airports, connections] is about 10 hours. She said to give him half the pill (5mg) before we leave the house, & the other half in the middle of the trip, if necessary.

    Do you know much about this drug? I can't find any particular warnings against it, but you've dealt with more cats & ailments than I have, so I figured I'd run it by you. Jack's 9 yrs old (in June) & just got a clean/awesome bill of health.


    Jack says thank you.

    Hey

    Im not a vet as it is, and I already notice how different the drugs are in Norway compared to what I was used to in Belgium.

    So.

    Take the following with a bucket of salt:

    ACP is commonly used to sedate. If it is the same drug that I am thinking of, it used to be used for New years to keep the dog etc quiet. Personally, I'm not a fan of it. It is a drug that knocks your animal out on a physical level, so they can be handled better (and dont freak out the owners with their unwanted behaviour). However, if memory serves, it does not sedate them mentally, and they are still aware of the environment, only now, they cannot express their stress or fear or act on it.

    It is your call, as it will make Jack putty in your hands, and from what I remember, they are fine in a day or so.

    Personally, I'd stick to just feliway and your scent, considering how Jack responds to you. At the clinic, we also used to sell like homeopathic drops you could start a couple of days in advance to build up a calming response. For my trip, I ended up using a valium derived food supplement on Faith that I'd build up beforehand, to take the edge off. Granted, she could have probably benefitted from a more heavy sedation considering the amount of hyperventilation she went through, but I honestly decided against ACP as I did not want to trap her with her fear in her own body (Id only use that if they are a danger to themselves or others, tbh), just for my own comfort.


    Again. I AM NO VET. And it is coming up on 8 years since I officially worked in a veterinary clinic, and animal medicine has changed a lot since then. So maybe this is a more modern version. And I am from Europe, so your drugs are going to be a little different, as well as the prescription methods.

    But in my very humble experience, I find that vets prescribe this drug to reassure the owner, and not for the benefit of the animal, in most cases.

    I'd honestly ask my vet about it, ask her how exactly the drug works. Then you can decide what you want to do.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    when in doubt, put them in the furnace

  9. #39
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Hey

    Im not a vet as it is, and I already notice how different the drugs are in Norway compared to what I was used to in Belgium.

    So.

    Take the following with a bucket of salt:

    ACP is commonly used to sedate. If it is the same drug that I am thinking of, it used to be used for New years to keep the dog etc quiet. Personally, I'm not a fan of it. It is a drug that knocks your animal out on a physical level, so they can be handled better (and dont freak out the owners with their unwanted behaviour). However, if memory serves, it does not sedate them mentally, and they are still aware of the environment, only now, they cannot express their stress or fear or act on it.

    It is your call, as it will make Jack putty in your hands, and from what I remember, they are fine in a day or so.

    Personally, I'd stick to just feliway and your scent, considering how Jack responds to you. At the clinic, we also used to sell like homeopathic drops you could start a couple of days in advance to build up a calming response. For my trip, I ended up using a valium derived food supplement on Faith that I'd build up beforehand, to take the edge off. Granted, she could have probably benefitted from a more heavy sedation considering the amount of hyperventilation she went through, but I honestly decided against ACP as I did not want to trap her with her fear in her own body (Id only use that if they are a danger to themselves or others, tbh), just for my own comfort.


    Again. I AM NO VET. And it is coming up on 8 years since I officially worked in a veterinary clinic, and animal medicine has changed a lot since then. So maybe this is a more modern version. And I am from Europe, so your drugs are going to be a little different, as well as the prescription methods.

    But in my very humble experience, I find that vets prescribe this drug to reassure the owner, and not for the benefit of the animal, in most cases.

    I'd honestly ask my vet about it, ask her how exactly the drug works. Then you can decide what you want to do.

    Yeah, if it doesn't actually calm him/make him SLEEP or something, then I'll pass on using it. He's not hard to handle physically, even at his worst.
    I'll double check with the vet though.
    Thank you!
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  10. #40
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,743

    Default

    I really ought to call this thread "Catlady's Corner," Or "Ask Amar" - since I keep harassing @Amargith.
    *summons from the depths of Europe*

    Just wondering if you have any experience with kitties sharpening their claws on crap they aren't supposed to. Chlöe's overall very good about using her post, much to my relief since someone wanted to declaw her. I'm trying to keep that from happening. You saw the video clip of how she used to panic when food was being prepared in the kitchen before. She doesn't do that anymore, fortunately, however, she does stand against the cabinets below the counter, if you're making food. She stretches her paws up, & starts to sharpen on the tops of the cabinets. I guess my mother's going to be getting brand new ones, so she's been edgy about Chlöe's habit with these. It's really not that bad (if it were my house, I wouldn't give a damn, honestly), but I figured I'd consult you, when you have a moment. Any tricks to deter that habit in that particular location? Like I said, she otherwise uses her scratching post religiously. Just trying to ensure she won't end up front-declawed eventually by her materialistic owner.

    Thx, either way, lady.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] The ENTP advice thread
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
  2. The Advice Thread
    By BlackCat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO