User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    an exorcism is in order
    For the last time, bear - I'm not setting my cat on fire or drowning him in holy water.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    For the last time, bear - I'm not setting my cat on fire or drowning him in holy water.
    I'm only trying to help.
    Plus a bag, a few rocks and a river would do just fine.

Calling an exorcist will only get people killed, and create hours of 180 degree head turning nonsense. I've seen the movies.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm only trying to help.
    Plus a bag, a few rocks and a river would do just fine.

Calling an exorcist will only get people killed, and create hours of 180 degree head turning nonsense. I've seen the movies.
    And you're suggesting this for your Ne-dom feline brethren?

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

And you're suggesting this for your Ne-dom feline brethren?
    I'm like a witch witch-hunter. It's sexy and cool.
    Don't overthink it
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm like a witch witch-hunter. It's sexy and cool.

...Ya.

much like

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

...Ya.

much like
    *epileptic seizure*

... In theory.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

*epileptic seizure*
    /win

This is a great idea for a thread.

My cat recently developed kidney disease due to a reaction to sedation. As a result I now give her daily injections of saline fluid. I was wondering if anyone else has experience doing this?

I have learnt that it is better to do it while she is in a container that softly encloses her on the sides so she feels safe and that if I heat the I.V. bag a bit first it goes better. I am just wondering if anyone has any other tips to make this process easier for her?

I felt really guilty for the first bit and kept consulting vets for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion and finally I realized this is basically the same as dialysis. The one vet said the better energy I have the calmer my cat will be and it has been true.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    This is a great idea for a thread.

My cat recently developed kidney disease due to a reaction to sedation. As a result I now give her daily injections of saline fluid. I was wondering if anyone else has experience doing this?

I have learnt that it is better to do it while she is in a container that softly encloses her on the sides so she feels safe and that if I heat the I.V. bag a bit first it goes better. I am just wondering if anyone has any other tips to make this process easier for her?

I felt really guilty for the first bit and kept consulting vets for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion and finally I realized this is basically the same as dialysis. The one vet said the better energy I have the calmer my cat will be and it has been true.
    I haven't personally had that happen with one of my cats, but Ive had a kitten I hand raised that needed to have their eye cleaned out every day due to infection and put eye ointment in. I've also had to give her saline subcutaneously for about a week when she was unable to drink for herself for a week due to the virus infecting her mouth, when she was about a year old. My benefit was that she was hand raised and trusted me like she would've her mom, by then. Meanwhile, to this day, I can put her on a scratching tree and poke around in her eye and she just looks up and patiently waits while I go about my business - none of my other cats would even let me try to do that.

But you're right, essentially, you want to turn this into a happy little routine the two of you have going every day. The more it happens and the more they know what to expect and the more experience you gain (becoming more efficient etc), the easier it will be on the both of you.

Now the hiding spot is a great idea, I love that. Basically, what you want to do is be fully focused on her without coming off intense. So act like it's every day business with nothing to worry about (which it is!), while checking her continuously for signs of dismay (wagging tails, retreating from your touch, sticking out her tongue, shivering, lifting her paw - these are all stress signals to watch for). Her body language should be comfortable, loose (no tails firmly squished against her body, standing or sitting on her paws, not crouching down, etc). Being too brusk or rough in your handling will bring out these signals, so back up, release or at least soften your grip (without letting them escape), even pause for a moment before trying again. That way, she knows you're taking her level of discomfort into account and the trust will grow.

Pet her a bit and feed her some treats if she is allowed to have those - bribing is a legal and good thing in cat world. Basically, you're trying to build pleasant and positive associations with this process so she'll eventually come running for it. You could even teach her to do so by doing a little training exercise (say her name, instantly give her a treat, repeat until she gets it, then step away and say her name, let her run towards you and give her the treat, and so on) Eventually, you could leave a treat for her if she hops in the box where she gets her treatment - and one after she's done. If treats aren't an option or she isn't a food motivated cat, use attention or toys instead - whatever is her favourite. Couple that with the treatment and it should become a breeze
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Makes sense.. he doesn't bring his other toys into the bed (balls, fuzzy mice, etc).

We did kind of establish the bed as a play area. At least, he doesn't bite my hair or bat at it anymore, though, so I guess it's not a big deal. He doesn't even attack my legs when I sleep. Most of the time, when I go to bed, he's like, "Bedtime now? kay!" *snuggles*

Come to think of it, I believe the clothing-transport started as I trained him out of the morning hair-biting ritual.
    He's such an adorable ball of energy

And yeah...well, he has to keep busy somehow

You could re-direct that energy to a game that is more channeled to your preferences, if you wanted to.

As for the switch to the water gun - did I get this right that you're able to pull it out and use it faster than the water bottle? Coz that would be crucial - all consequences have to happen within 1 second (which is another reason that Im more likely to use my hand as that's always available to me), in order to register. The only exception to this is actually eating something poisonous. An animal will connect a food with digestive issues up to 6 hours after ingesting it. But all other training techniques require reaction within 1 second - it' why clicker training is so often used. Clicking a clicker is a lot easier than fumbling a plastic bag with a treat open in time, and you can use the clicker to teach them that the treat is on their way while rewarding the desirable behaviour
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”