• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how to tell your mom you might need a urologist

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how do you do this without feeling embarrassed?

I might be able to pull it off without telling her, but i don't know.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how do you do this without feeling embarrassed?

Your mother had you, and your siblings if you have any. She may very well empathize with urological changes. You shouldn't be embarrassed by a medical concern. If you are planning on sharing details with her, just stick to the facts - your symptoms, what you have learned about what may be the cause, and the importance that you get it checked out. Don't let her or anyone else convince you that your concern is not noteworthy or that you should not seek professional medical counsel if you feel that it is important.
Telling a parent about a condition and enlisting their help/support is likely less embarrassing than having that condition present itself at inopportune times because you chose not to seek treatment.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
part of me thinks she might suspect because i had an accident in the car on a road trip, but maybe she doesn't know how to broach the subject either. she's gonna find my diapers today i've only been wearing them at night to protect the mattress because i'm too embarrased to wear them in public maybe i'll tell her than?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
part of me thinks she might suspect because i had an accident in the car on a road trip, but maybe she doesn't know how to broach the subject either. she's gonna find my diapers today i've only been wearing them at night to protect the mattress because i'm too embarrased to wear them in public maybe i'll tell her than?

Tell her about the condition/measures you are taking (diapers) before she finds them. That way, you have taken initiative and control over the manner in which the big reveal occurs. It will also encourage her to know that you trust her with something so personal and you are not just telling her because you were cornered due to the fact that she found your diapers. You have the good fortune to be in a country where you will not be ostracized from your village for something as simple as urinary incontinence. It is an often seen and many times reversible condition. Just go to the urologist and see what they say.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^good advice.

The embarassment is in your head, the condition is physical. The embarassment - if any- will be temporary, the condition might go on indefinitely if you don't act on it.

This is about your your life quality and about actively taking charge of whatever problem you might have rather than trying to passively sit it out. I doubt you'd shock her.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i think my bladder might not be emptying all the way because last night not 30 seconds after going to the bathroom i coughed and a large wet spot appeared not a dribble a gush actually two gushes. making my pants and underwear saturated and so i decided to put on a diaper and i ended up needing it. is this TMI?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think my bladder might not be emptying all the way because last night not 30 seconds after going to the bathroom i coughed and a large wet spot appeared not a dribble a gush actually two gushes. making my pants and underwear saturated and so i decided to put on a diaper and i ended up needing it. is this TMI?

Does it typically happen after coughing/sneezing or perhaps lifting something, etc?

By the way, I don't want to overstep any privacy boundaries on a forum. So, if you would like to discuss this via PM I would be fine with that.

Here is a website that may have some other good info.
http://www.wdxcyber.com/nurine07.htm

The site is run by an MD OB/GYN

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I shat my pants in high school (at school) but luckily in my car, in the parking lot before school started. Needless to say, my mother was at the door when I drove back home and there was no hiding what happened. It was surprisingly not as embarrassing as one might think.

Urine? That's cake.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I shat my pants in high school (at school) but luckily in my car, in the parking lot before school started. Needless to say, my mother was at the door when I drove back home and there was no hiding what happened. It was surprisingly not as embarrassing as one would think might think.

Urine? That's cake.

I had food poisoning on a church youth trip once, mistakenly trusted a fart on the 5 hour drive home in a van full of other kids (I was 13 or so). I would have been pretty concerned if I hadn't felt so terrible already. Nothing a shower and a change of clothes couldn't fix.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think I'm gonna keep a change of clothes in my car just incase, wear a pad during the day, diaper at night do kegels and get on a schedule or at least try to never been good at following schedules though.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm gonna keep a change of clothes in my car just incase, wear a pad during the day, diaper at night do kegels and get on a schedule or at least try to never been good at following schedules though.

I think seeing a urologist would still be a good idea to make sure it's not related to any other type of underlying condition that is being overlooked. Just to play it safe.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think seeing a urologist would still be a good idea to make sure it's not related to any other type of underlying condition that is being overlooked. Just to play it safe.

I plan to, but i need to take precautions in the mean time.

R

Riva

It was like the time the doctor said I had to get circumcised and I had to tell my father about it. Haha.. took me a few weeks. I said it while we were in private.

Anyway,

It wasn't hard at all in the end. He asked me about the doctor, spoke to the doctor, got things done.

Ps - He didn't to it. I got it done from a surgeon.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It was like the time the doctor said I had to get circumcised and I had to tell my father about it. Haha.. took me a few weeks. I said it while we were in private.

Anyway,

It wasn't hard at all in the end. He asked me about the doctor, spoke to the doctor, got things done.

Ps - He didn't to it. I got it done from a surgeon.

yeah it wasn't nearly as painful as i thought it was going to be. and it's worst early in the morning and at night

I pee myself twice after going to the bathroom, not totally but enough to feel like i don't have control anymore.