• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does body weight training compare to weightlifting and cardio?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Having played a lot of different sports in my life I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp on the quality of a workout.

Having done MMA, I would have to argue that bodyweight training is the best.

We evolved to use our bodies. Playing sports replicates that activity our ancestors used to get chasing game and fighting one another.

We didn't evolve to jog long distances. We would walk mostly, and sprint when we needed to (like after prey or away from predators).

We didn't need to be able to lift hundreds and hundreds of pounds if we could move through and interact with our enviroments athletically.

This is why I would say, if you're looking for the best workout, play an intense sport, do crossfit, or take up bodyweight training.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One's where you burn fat, the other's where you build muscle.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes but how does bodyweight training compare to those in your estimation?

Dude :rofl1:, you're over thinking it! :rofl1:

Estimation?

Could you rephrase the question por favor?

I like to warm up and warm down before and after my excersie by stretches and leg raises and crunches, Cardio at the gym I do like... 35minute minutes on the excersie bike, 35 minutes on the cross country machine, 2, 000 mteres on the rowing machine, and like 5 minutes (like a lap and a bit) on the treadmill, sometimes I run a mile in 14 miutes ish and sometimes I swim in the shallow end because, I haven't really learned or perfected my breathing technique, I stretch my muslces on curls and presses and stuff, a different machine for a different musicle, I do less weights more reps, so like 'setting 7' for the curls, and 25kg or 35kg or 85kg for the presses, depending on the press and my mood for the 85k one. - It's not a lot of weight sbut I do 25 reps regarldess a go, so, I like to go to the end and then stop, rest, and stuff... I also do pilates. :D it's good, I done that just because I pulled a muscle in my back and required physio last summer and got some shown how to do pilates aswell and even got given this chart just incase I forget how to do them, and my gym has people around who I can show my chart to so they can show me how to do it, so that's cool, I only ever done that once, when I wasn't sure how to do them and I just had the chart. - Some pilates and one yoga thing called the cat stretch I had to learn, so I did and now I incorperate that into my work out, whihc can last from anything to 2/3 hours per time.

I ride a BMX, a bike without gears, it's a Diamondback BMX I got at my old job at a pawn shop I worked at and managed to get it for how much the shop bought it for, which was £35.00 - great buy! - I ride that on the roads and, because it's a BMX and I have no gears, it's also like a muscle work out too, keeping up with traffic is cool but it sucks wthout gears, I often have to pull to the side so traffic can pass; the only down side to a BMX. - I'm thinking, I should get my Mongoose out of storage and fix it up/have it fixed up, that's a great road bike, I can go across London on that one, my BMX is just for the local area.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Dude :rofl1:, you're over thinking it! :rofl1:

Estimation?

Could you rephrase the question por favor?

I like to warm up and warm down before and after my excersie by stretches and leg raises and stuff, I do like... 35minute minutes on the excersie bike, 35 minutes on the cross country machine, 2, 000 mteres on the rowing machine, and like 5 minutes (like a lap and a bit) on the treadmill, sometimes I run a mile in 14 miutes ish and sometimes I swim in the shallow end because, I haven't really learned or perfected my breathing technique, I stretch my muslces on curls and presses and stuff, a different machine for a different musicle, I do less weights more reps, so like 'setting 7' for the curls, and 25kg or 35kg or 85kg for the presses, depending on the press and my mood for the 85k one. - It's not a lot of weight sbut I do 25 reps regarldess a go, so, I like to go to the end and then stop, rest, and stuff... I also do pilates. :D it's good, I done that just because I pulled a muscle in my back and required physio last summer and got some shown how to do pilates aswell and even got given this chart just incase I forget how to do them, and my gym has people around who I can show my chart to so they can show me how to do it, so that's cool, I only ever done that once, when I wasn't sure how to do them and I just had the chart. - Some pilates and one yoga thing called the cat stretch I had to learn, so I did and now I incorperate that into my work out, whihc can last from anything to 2/3 hours per time.

That's a lot of thinking that has to go into that workout.

I try to relax with my workouts and take some mental time to myself.

I find it easier just to go hit the heavy bag for a half hour or go for a bike ride, than to try and figure out all the formulas with the weights.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Hello Disco!

I really prefer to mix up my training. If I do bodyweight training exclusively, I find I do not experience the same results or consequences after about two-three weeks. By cross-training with sports, sprints (weighted, with hills or just flat ground), distance running my performance for short or long twitch cardio challenges are much better. Additionally, after having experienced far too many overtraining or overextension injuries, I've learned that a dash of powerlifting and muscle targeting exercises help me develop other muscle groups for added stability and overall strength.

Body weight training (specifically HIIT) and long distance running are easily my most preferred training methods, but to prevent injury and improve performance I've learned that a combination training program works the best for my body and my goals.

Cheers!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Hello Disco!

I really prefer to mix up my training. If I do bodyweight training exclusively, I find I do not experience the same results or consequences after about two-three weeks. By cross-training with sports, sprints (weighted, with hills or just flat ground), distance running my performance for short or long twitch cardio challenges are much better. Additionally, after having experienced far too many overtraining or overextension injuries, I've learned that a dash of powerlifting and muscle targeting exercises help me develop other muscle groups for added stability and overall strength.

Body weight training (specifically HIIT) and long distance running are easily my most preferred training methods, but to prevent injury and improve performance I've learned that a combination training program works the best for my body and my goals.

Cheers!

Thanks for your input!

I'm more of a natural mesomorph myself so I stick with bodyweight and cardio mostly.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Do you have any specific performance/results goals for your training?

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
This is one of my next goals: http://toughmudder.com/
I would love to get a group of people together from TypeC to meet and compete together as a team on this.

And I'm sure you'll get there! Are you using any supplements?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I would like to get in shape enough to where I would consider trying out for ninja warrior.

[YOUTUBE="lJmCem8qbTE"].[/YOUTUBE]

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you want to get muscled up, weightlifting is the way to go.

The trend lately is more towards total body fitness, working on the core and using muscles in groupings with multi-movements rather than isolating them with a single movement (like bicep curls). This uses more bodyweight moves than weightlifting.

I'd break it down like:

Weightlifting - muscle size, but with weak points and lack of strength in certain movements/planes of motion
Bodyweight - leaner size, but with fewer weaknesses and better strength in more movements/planes of motion

Both are essential.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm super lazy about that kind of thing lol.

I have this phobia of getting fat coupled by this current disappointment of a realisation that it's now 7pm here and the bath I'm running in the hopes of having the funds for my June membership are futile because the office wouldn't be open take my payment anyway.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I would like to get in shape enough to where I would consider trying out for ninja warrior.

[YOUTUBE="lJmCem8qbTE"].[/YOUTUBE]

Then body-weight based exercise is the way to go. This stuff is about strength to weight ratio and endurance.

So do as many pull ups as you can in 30 seconds: GO!

Intervals my friend. Intervals. My fitness went through the roof from doing these.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Then body-weight based exercise is the way to go. This stuff is about strength to weight ratio and endurance.

So do as many pull ups as you can in 30 seconds: GO!

Intervals my friend. Intervals. My fitness went through the roof from doing these.

The grip strength required for a guy my size almost makes that shit impossible lol.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Having played a lot of different sports in my life I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp on the quality of a workout.

Having done MMA, I would have to argue that bodyweight training is the best.

We evolved to use our bodies. Playing sports replicates that activity our ancestors used to get chasing game and fighting one another.

We didn't evolve to jog long distances. We would walk mostly, and sprint when we needed to (like after prey or away from predators).

We didn't need to be able to lift hundreds and hundreds of pounds if we could move through and interact with our enviroments athletically.

This is why I would say, if you're looking for the best workout, play an intense sport, do crossfit, or take up bodyweight training.
This all depends completely on one's goals. It is not "best" for everyone's goals.