• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP + Bipolar = me? J/k. Bipolar Disorder.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IDK...

I'm Bipolar, I suffer from a condition called Bipolar Disorder, and I'm an INTP.
I'm also Scorpio too, so:wubbie: world.

What do you think and...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an INTP, I trive on emotional stability. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an INTP with such a disorder, when I try, my brain misfires and the neurological blue screen of death appears. It is beyond my comprehension.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As an INTP, I trive on emotional stability. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an INTP with such a disorder, when I try, my brain misfires and the neurological blue screen of death appears. It is beyond my comprehension.
But there can be great clarity gained from the muddle. I think, bipolar combined with Ne can be something to behold in terms of ingenious insight.

Have you seen the TV show Homeland, [MENTION=15790]ilovebender.com[/MENTION]? The main character is an intelligent CIA agent, that has bipolar disorder and is also a INTP. While it does disrupt her life , it also provides her with the insight and extreme focus that others appear to lack. While it is a more extreme portrayal of Bipolar disorder, it is also a sensitive one - and it shows how that combination works in a positive way as well.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But there can be great clarity gained from the muddle. I think, bipolar combined with Ne can be something to behold in terms of ingenious insight.

Have you seen the TV show Homeland, [MENTION=15790]ilovebender.com[/MENTION]? The main character is an intelligent CIA agent, that has bipolar disorder and is also a INTP. While it does disrupt her life (increasingly as the season goes on), it also provides her with the insight and extreme focus that others appear to lack.

I think I'll be more productive without, a science fiction tv show isn't going to change my mind on that one. :p

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I'll be more productive without, a science fiction tv show isn't going to change my mind on that one. :p
Well I certainly don't imagine it makes things easier having it. I just meant the combination could be quite interesting, and sometimes seeing (possible) aspects of yourself reflected in media can have a positive effect - it can make you feel less alone.

And it's not science fiction... ;)

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Living with it, is a living nightmare at times - full of anger torment and despair or great like nothing before with it's liberating and in your faceness with a dose of apathy and 'kiss-my-assism' on the other hand, I find it quite benificial being INTP when it comes to dealing with this condition when it doesn't torment me that is, constructing my creativity given to me by my 'disorder'.

Have you seen the TV show Homeland, [MENTION=15790]ilovebender.com[/MENTION]? The main character is an intelligent CIA agent, that has bipolar disorder and is also a INTP. While it does disrupt her life , it also provides her with the insight and extreme focus that others appear to lack. While it is a more extreme portrayal of Bipolar disorder, it is also a sensitive one - and it shows how that combination works in a positive way as well.
No I'm afraid I have not however, learning about such a character does grab my attention and my interest so much so that; I wish to link this thread for this post about Homeland and the main character alone, on this other forum;
that I'm also a member of. :)

Well I certainly don't imagine it makes things easier having it. I just meant the combination could be quite interesting, and sometimes seeing (possible) aspects of yourself reflected in media can have a positive effect - it can make you feel less alone.

And it's not science fiction... ;)
Homeland's fiction indeed, but the combination of the two; Is very real to me.

When I dwell on it, I feel less like a man, and more of a personality type, with a personality disorder but; I guess that's what's making me, me. :)

G

garbage

Hi, I've got it too.

Go go bouts of depression and periods of unfounded grandiosity :hifive:

Also, this thread led me to this one.

:popc1:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No I'm afraid I have not however, learning about such a character does grab my attention and my interest so much so that; I wish to link this thread for this post about Homeland and the main character alone, on this other forum;
that I'm also a member of. :)

Homeland's fiction indeed, but the combination of the two; Is very real to me.

When I dwell on it, I feel less like a man, and more of a personality type, with a personality disorder but; I guess that's what's making me, me. :)
But that's how it should be. It's not something that defines you but is an aspect of your life and personality that can be disruptive at times. That's why I think Homeland could be so positive because it's not a show about Bipolar disorder. It's just that the main character happens to have it, and for the most part, she's just getting on with her life. Shamefully, the Bipolar community has had to wait a long time to be represented in an even vaguely 'normal' way in media. And the rest of us also benefit from such a portrayal because it helps to begin to breaking down the stigmas and stupid stereotypes out there.

Also, this thread led me to this one.
I remember watching a really interesting documentary with Stephen Fry on BPD (as he has it himself). At one point he talks to Carrie Fisher (who also has it) and they ask each other the question, "if you could cure it by taking a single pill, would you do it?". They both said no pretty emphatically; the lows were worth it because the highs were so amazing. I found this fascinating, that after all the tough times they've been through, they wouldn't change it for the world. It made me realise how complex and enigmatic BPD is, and perhaps how difficult it is for others to understand what it is like for those that have it.

G

garbage

I remember watching a really interesting documentary with Stephen Fry on BPD (as he has it himself). At one point he talks to Carrie Fisher (who also has it) and they ask each other the question, "if you could cure it by taking a single pill, would you do it?". They both said no pretty emphatically; the lows were worth it because the highs were so amazing. I found this fascinating, that after all the tough times they've been through, they wouldn't change it for the world. It made me realise how complex and enigmatic BPD is, and perhaps how difficult it is for others to understand what it is like for those that have it.
Yeah. :)

I can see their viewpoint, but I'd personally take that pill in a heartbeat. To me, the highs are outright false and don't feel like true confidence; I get a little too secure, overconfident, and brash. Not being able to sleep for a few days also sucks--you feel as though you can't burn out until you outright crash, which kind of makes you a bit paranoid about when that crash will come. You have to check with trusted people--"Am I looking a bit worn out? Am I acting like a dick?" Oh, and also there are the lows.

I'm fortunate enough to have a flexible job, which has allowed me some freedom to go out and seek the right combination of medications. Shit's all good with me.

The whole thing made me learn firsthand about agency and lack of control, realizing what little separates any of us from any other of us who would commit murders and other atrocities.

I've also guided an employee of mine who has it (along with ADHD or something along those lines) and gave him a few months off to get good treatment, too. I was there waiting for him when he got back; he's still "hyperactive"--but more enthusiastic; we channel that energy in a very positive way.

Whether one requires treatment is all a matter of whether their condition makes functioning overly difficult.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ Well that's the other thing about it: it has so many forms, degrees of intensity and effects on a person's life - it seems like every case is different. Yet another reason to avoid speaking about it in reductive or stereotypical manner.

It's really good that you have trusted people that you can get some perspective over what's going on, and that you are have managed to achieve the right balance. :)

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But that's how it should be. It's not something that defines you but is an aspect of your life and personality that can be disruptive at times.
I am me, you are you... 'and together we are we.' - lol J/k.
Be you, be true.
Be who you are not what you are.
ect... That's how I think it should be. :D

Yeah, Stephen Fry suffers from BPD from time to time, and that is also something he's famous for... I'm thinking, Kurt Cobain or Axl Rose or one of them or both of them suffered/suffer from it too, like Jimi Hendrix and Vincent Van Gogh; it's what used to called Manic Depression, I think.

xisnotx

Permabanned
The lows are horrible...I've been convinced that I was days away from the streets. (I wasn't...more like months lol).
And the highs...well, they suck too. But in a good way.

I'm on a high right now...I haven't slept in like 24 hours...I'm trying to convince myself to crash in a bit. We'll see how it goes.

I've noticed I can control the cycles. When I'm normal I can tell that I'm going to go through a high or low soon....and if I get up and go do something, I'll get the high...but if I decide to just be inactive, I'll get a low.

I'm not sure I'd take the pill....at least I wouldn't if it was permanent.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was misdiagnosed with it for over 10 years. What I really had was undiagnosed/untreated Grave's disease and AIP. The meds I was taking (so many of them) were making me worse. That time...well, let's just say it made the life I have very different from the one I had foreseen and mapped out. I remember telling my ex that having BPD was being the anti-me. Emotional, out-of-control, confused, impulsive, indecisive, and just plain lost...it was everything I was not and yet that was me.

[MENTION=5871]Southern Kross[/MENTION] mentioned some positive things about it. I read Kay Redfield Jamison's book "Touched by Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament. She explores the theory that gifted artists and creative people have a much higher percentage of being affected by bipolar-disorder and depression. Actually, her research on BPD (she suffers from it) is excellent period. All her books are worth reading. They are a little dated, though.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
bipolar makes life interesting...
especially with the manias+Ne.
Biwinning.
I both love and hate my disorder. I'm not sure how I made it this far without getting hurt somehow with all my wasted driving and not paying bills and random snapping at people. However, my perspective is greater and wiser than I could imagine at my age. The perspective I've gained seems to trump a lot of the downfalls... And I still have a job! I can't imagine an INTP with bipolar moods. I wonder if it's type related anyway. There's a good documentary about it on Youtube as well.. It's called "Flight from Darkness", though it's not as good as the Stephen Fry one as a lot of it is from the perspective of people who don't understand as I commented there.

I do feel like creativity will poke through the illness and the meds though.