• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much sleep do you want for yourself? NOW WITH POLL!

How much sleep do you want for yourself?

• Less than 4. I live on the wild side.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I can't believe iwhen people say they only need 6 or less hours of sleep. I know there's a difference between "want" and "need" but when it comes to sleep I think its's almost synonymous. In an ideal world, now much sleep would you want to give yourself?

Honestly, I need MORE than 8 hours of sleep. Even if I were well rested, I would want to give myself at least 9 hours.

Brand New And Shiny With Poll!

R

Riva

The best way to calculate how much sleep one really needs is to go to sleep early without setting the alarm and let yourself wake up without using an alarm. Do this for a couple of times (4-5 times) and one would get a general idea as to the amount of hours one requires. I did that and figured out that I feel extremely well slept and rested if I sleep for 7 to 7.15 hours.

Yes, when people say they need less than 6 hours of sleep, it sounds a bit suspicious.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Honestly, I need MORE than 8 hours of sleep. Even if I were well rested, I would want to give myself at least 9 hours.

Me too. I can function on as little as 6-7 for a couple of days, but 9 is ideal to operate at peak efficiency.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
8, maybe 8,5. I'd want days to last 25hours though, since my biological clock is pretty odd. And it gets worse with caffeine.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
7 and a half hours.

G

garbage

6.5-7 during the work week, so long as I rest up a bit more on the weekends.

I've been paranoid about not getting enough sleep to tackle the day, but.. well, it turns out that I can survive on less once in a while.

G

Glycerine

Anywhere between 8-10 hours but I chronically got between 2-4 hours for the past few years. Yeah...

Permabanned
In an ideal world, I'd want sleep would be unnecessary and optional, just to take a break, as Time is a limited commodity. However, I find anything below 6h to be cumulatively insufficient, and require at least 7.5 to function decently.

Ideally, best sleep is obtained from an untroubled mind, without a schedule, lasting until the body feels like it without limits.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7 works for me, even long term.

However, if not tied to anyone's schedule. I'll happily sleep 8-9 a night.

Hmmm... perhaps I should specify it's "hours" after each number above and not "women" or "horses" or whatnot.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Under 7.5, I end up feeling it. I usually don't get that much.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I slept from around midnight to 1pm. I still feel all groggy/messed up from it.
My ideal's between 5-8.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think I need about 6-6.5 hours to feel good, which is easily doable. But my body would prefer that those hours are from about 3am to 9am, so I still have sleep issues. Ideally, the amount of sleep I'd want for myself is zero. If science came up with a pill that would eliminate the need for sleep without crazy ass side effects, I'd sign up to be a guinea pig in a heartbeat.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I can function on between 5-6 for a while, but I hate it, I get so foggy. In order for me to be clearest and at my best, 9 hours is perfect.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I did an extensive study on my sleeping cycle a couple summers ago, it turned out my body is naturally timed to sleep for 12 hours and be awake for 13. I'd go to bed at three and wake up at three..the next day I'd be in bed at four and wake up at four.

I'm a 25 hour type of guy.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think I need about 6-6.5 hours to feel good, which is easily doable. But my body would prefer that those hours are from about 3am to 9am, so I still have sleep issues. Ideally, the amount of sleep I'd want for myself is zero. If science came up with a pill that would eliminate the need for sleep without crazy ass side effects, I'd sign up to be a guinea pig in a heartbeat.

Yeah, the internal clock is a kicker. However, even if you prefer going to bed late I think people's bodies are still wired to get progressively more tired and therefore need more rest the later it gets. I believe there have been studies on people who work the late shift, sometimes for years, and even though they've trained themselves to sleep during the day the quality of the sleep and how rested they feel is not as effective if they were on the common diurnal schedule.

PS I forgot to ask people relatively how old they were. When I was in my teens, I could sleep like a mofo! My mom says I came home from a slumber party once and slept for 14 hours until she finally woke me up. I was a very sleepy teenager to early adult. I believe teens need tons of sleep and nutrients since they're still growing. As you get older you need less and less sleep until you are a senior citizen. Then your internal clock also changes and you get sleepier much earlier and rise much earlier.