First 456

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Fleeting, yes actually you can do Bikram, and Bikram alone, if you do it 3-4 times a week. Walking is also helpful, of course.

The studio where I go we do that same Ashtanga series with modifications for different levels. And you can do that series, heated. There's also the potential to do yoga every single day if you want, some people take more than one class a day, and there's the yin core restore. Plus they also offer sculpt classes with light hand weights while doing poses.

Its possible to get your entire work out from yoga and walking, which is why I brought power yoga up to chknz in the first place, and figured since she lives in a major city she could easily find a studio.

However even if she did other forms of yoga with some serious walking and biking or swimming, that would be good for her as well.

I doubt very seriously she'd follow a diet as strict as you suggest, or do sprints, but I do congratulate you on your major weight loss, that is no small accomplishment, kudos to you.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, I think that variety is pretty key to being healthy. With exercise, as well as food. My advice was a guideline. Obviously you've got to treat yourself.

I don't have a thorough understanding of yoga, but I do understand anatomy. After a certain amount of time with body weight exercises, such as yoga, you can't build muscle without some form of resistance. Once your body is accustomed to your own weight, you are unable to surpass that muscle build, and will only maintain it.

If you do yoga and add some type of resistance, however, or some type of dynamic energy, you may gain.

If you only aspire to build muscle: Increase resistance, gain muscle, muscle reaches current potential, increase resistance.

And again, bulking only happens if you also increase what you're eating along with that. Especially proteins. And usually in pretty vast amounts. So don't worry about looking like a man, it's not going to happen unless you want it to, and without years of dedication.

I think that you can most certainly be healthy if you're doing only yoga, as well. I hadn't meant to imply otherwise. Only that your optimal health is with a mix of yoga, cardio and strength. This makes the most sense to me, and the hypothesis seems supported by plenty of evidence.

In my opinion, losing weight shouldn't be the goal. It should be health. And if it's health, it doesn't make sense to eat crap. When you get used to eating healthy, it's not 'strict'. It's fun, and you find ways to make it entertaining, as well as incredibly delicious.

And, thank you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Bikram has a cardio and strength component. Also I recommend that all people walk, walk, walk.

From my perspective what you're recommending is almost athlete level training, I mean not everyone can even do sprinting intervals (and not everyone can do power yoga, you already have to be at a certain fitness level to tolerate the more energetic yang yoga plus the heat).

I don't think all people want to necessarily build as much muscle as you're suggesting. People who do things like yoga and dance increase strength by lifting their own body weight.

Anyway you have good suggestions, its just that I think its more for people who are hard core into fitness. Not everyone is into fitness as a hobby (chknz has pretty much said she hates exercise) so I think its more realistic to suggest a moderate activity level she could do for health, and to boost her metabolism a bit so that she can either lose ten pounds, or just lose a few pounds but look more toned and fit into the jeans she wants to wear.

You kick ass, though. You're clearly quite fit.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Bikram has a cardio and strength component. Also I recommend that all people walk, walk, walk.

From my perspective what you're recommending is almost athlete level training, I mean not everyone can even do sprinting intervals (and not everyone can do power yoga, you already have to be at a certain fitness level to tolerate the more energetic yang yoga plus the heat).

I don't think all people want to necessarily build as much muscle as you're suggesting. People who do things like yoga and dance increase strength by lifting their own body weight.

Anyway you have good suggestions, its just that I think its more for people who are hard core into fitness. Not everyone is into fitness as a hobby (chknz has pretty much said she hates exercise) so I think its more realistic to suggest a moderate activity level she could do for health, and to boost her metabolism a bit so that she can either lose ten pounds, or just lose a few pounds but look more toned and fit into the jeans she wants to wear.

You kick ass, though. You're clearly quite fit.
    Lol, I'm far from an athlete, that's for sure. I know I don't do nearly enough, but I do aspire to be as fit as possible, so I try to keep myself informed.

My advice was all just ideas to work from. I, myself, could never follow something strictly (From my perspective) without changing it up or breaking a lot of rules. Like taking too many treat days and rest days. My style is really up and down, but at least now my treat days are things I make myself, and not packaged stuff from the store. I'm pretty proud of this new development.

It's really all about... Taking it one step at a time. The ideas I talk about are all just useful to know. I think that much is clear. Not all need to be incorporated. I think even just doing one of those things for a month, and then adding another, is awesome too. Everybody's got their own pace. Mine seems snailish. I hear about girls who go on the elliptical for hours, and I can't do more than 45 minutes of cardio at this point. 30 minutes if I'm going on a jog|run. I'm just not disciplined enough, and I never keep on a routine. It seems impossible for me. I always have to have something new to throw in, have to switch up days, or I lose interest.

It's not really about being an athlete, but trying to be the best we can, and improve ourselves to our greatest potential.

I think it's cool that you know so much about yoga, and I really, really want to get more into this. I only know simple postures. I've actually figured that I don't have the strength to do Ashtanga yet, or flexibility and that I'm not fit enough. :P. I figure that, like in strength training, posture and form is the most important, and without instruction on form, following postures from the internet isn't a good idea.

Although I was actually doing the camel pose and wheel when yoga became my newest sensation, I was told by close ones to tone it down or I was going to break something, and they're usually right about that. I break things. Hasn't been myself yet, luckily.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Fleeting I think from your level of cardio you'd be fit enough to start trying a non-heated beginner class to see how it goes. Ive been flexible my whole life bc I danced for years and years growing up, and then a different kind of dance as an adult. HOWEVER lots of male athletes lack flexibility due to the nature of sports, despite their fitness level in cardio and strength and hand-eye coordination, and they still can learn power yoga.

You aren't sedentary, so I think you should give a beginning class a try since you're so interested. You can always improve your flexibility through practice.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

I'm getting fat too I've actually joined a martial arts class, and have (poorly) taken up running. Also, switching to fatty foods but healthy fats, avocado, bread, real butter, water, tea, organic fruits. I find the more processed foods I eat, the more weight I put on. Salads taste like arse, but with a nice vinegarette, not so much! I've seen the results so far, slowly losing the weight and eating nice foods still.

Eat less and exercise.
    Health is wealth.

Banned

If you do not want to get fat then make a daily work out plan. Get up early in the morning, have some glass of water and then go for jogging/walk. See the nature and feel fresh air. Get in a habit of using vegetables and fruits. Avoid fast foods and oily foods. Drink much water and use green tea daily. Sleep on time. Keep a gap of 4 5 hours in your meals. Eat slowly so your food get digested quickly.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how do you lose weight? I've always been skinny but my metabolism is catching up. I plan to walk 3 mornings a week 1-3 miles but i don't wanna be fat
    Covering 1 - 3 miles on a flat surface does not help you much. Walk uphill and downhill. If you have stairs in your house, arrange so that you constantly have to climb them. You will lose your most of your fat in six weeks.