User Tag List

First 3456 Last

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Personally I would swap the walks for the bike but crank the resistance on the bike right up if you can, shorter more intense workout. Humans are extremely efficient walkers and joggers, I doubt you'd lose much walking unless you're really huge. I'd even swap in sprints, if that's your thing.
    You can lose weight walking if you eat sensibly and walk 5-10 miles a day at a nice pace. That is, of course, if you're actually overweight. Otherwise it would give you more muscle tone in your legs and some cardio for your health.

MBTI
    ISFP

What has always inspired me to exercise is having a goal that isn't about my fitting into jeans or looking a certain way. I almost seem to do worse if I think I'm doing it for anyone but myself. Is there anything you can imagine you'd really want to accomplish physically? I also like to turn my workouts into fantasies. I'll sometimes pretend I'm running through a survivor style game and I have to hit all the trashcans with my gun (but I come up with all sorts of silly rules like only trashcans that have their lid up) or that I'm an Amazonian warrior running with my tribe. I mean all sorts of heroic and silly things but they help when I'm not feeling especially inspired. Maybe try turning things into games and mini-goals. Like one run you can think of countries that start with "A" and have spots along the course (preplanned or spontaneously decided on) that you'll recite the name of the country out loud. Or better yet just start looking for things that start with different letters of the alphabet. Everyone will think you are very silly but it'll get your mind off the exercise. Or you could start devising different walking routes to take dependent on characters you've created. You could take a camera with you and take photos that you think your character would enjoy and create an album for each character. It'd be fun. Part of the pleasure can be in actually devising ways to make it fun and entertaining to exercise. I like that I can just exercise and think of really random shit like if I were a boat what kind-of boat would I be and why? I'll start imagining myself as a boat and how I'd handle. Exercise doesn't demand of you to be any mental thing which frees up time for fantasy. Maybe you can imagine yourself as a cat that has stolen a human body and your dream is to become an assassin so you are whipping yourself into shape. You chastise yourself for your reflexes not being what they are. And now you are running with the sass of a killer kitty that has stolen a silly human's body. Oh yes, she's evil and deadly -- but this body . . . oh how woefully out of shape . . . every push-up and sit-up brings La Femme NaKitty closer to being the leather clad assassin that roars under this flubbery exterior. I don't know . . . you are an INFP!! You can think of a thousand characters and ways to entertain yourself. Don't just go with the Se-model of "well, you just get on the treadmill and do it and . . . keep doing it". Your Fi+Ne allows you to transform every moment into a vivid fantasy so why not use this on exercise . . . it's the perfect time to zone out and go to your "special fantasy place".

As far as what you eat. I have to be really strict with my diet. I don't eat things that trigger me to eat a lot. I had issues in my teen years with binge eating which was partly emotional but also I think due to spikes/crashed in my blood sugar due to consuming certain types of food. I've actually found a lot of xNFP types tend to have weird relationships with food. So I've cut out wheat, sugar, dairy, and pretty much all refined food. I'm sure you won't have to go that far but eating this way stabilizes my blood sugar. You might also consider a very short juice fast. Nothing extreme. Maybe a juice + salad fast for a couple days. I recommend the book "Raw Food Cleanse" by Penni Shelton. The 3-day cleanse she offers is really quite decent and nothing too extreme.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You can lose weight without exercising at all. Cut calories. That's really all there is to it. If you drop down to about 1200 calories a day, you'll lose weight. You just have to make up your mind to be hungry.

MBTI
    ENTP

Best tips are:

Eat 4 - 5 small meals a day.

Meal portions: Half of your plate should be veggies, or two big handfuls, but basically eat what you like. Quarter of it should be lean protein, about the size and thickness of your palm. , Quarter of it can be slow carbohydrates such as brown rice, lentils, beans, quinoa, amaranth, etc, but you can cut the slow carbs if you like.

Don't drink your calories. Drink water, tea, or coffee (Only one or two cups of coffee is recommended.) And don't add any milk or sugar to anything. Be sure to drink plenty of water, especially when active.

Eat plenty of vegetables, as colourful as you can. You can eat as many veggies as you like. They're very nutrient and anti-oxidant rich, which means anti-aging as well. The reason you can eat pretty much all you like is because it's mostly water. Examples: Broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, carrots (Maybe limit to 1 or 2), lettuce, kale, collard greens, cabbage, rutabaga, squash, bell peppers, etc. Limit potatoes, and other sweet veggies. Steaming is optimal, next is boiling, next is frying (Use unrefined extra virgin canola oil if possible, limit to 1 tablespoon or less)

Eat fruits, but make sure they're the right type. Apples and oranges are awesome. Anything with a peel, or citrusy. Berries are also awesome. Stay away from bananas, grapes, and dried fruits, due to fast carbs and sugars.

Have a small handful of healthy fats with a meal, if you like. Unsalted, raw nuts and seeds. Avocados (Be aware that one medium avocado is a small meal.) Avoid oils, but if cooking with oils, use healthy, non-refined, extra virgin oils.

Walk for at least 2 hours everyday. You can split the time up if you like. Walking around at work or school doesn't count. It has to be on your own time.

Eat whole, real foods. Read the ingredients on food that is processed. If it's got ingredients you don't understand, don't buy them. Period.

Cut out everything else. No refined sugar, no breads, no processed packaged foods. (Dark, wholegrain and wholewheat Breads can be good for you, but not optimal for weight loss, especially if problems with portion control.)

Extras: Spices are great, and add flavour. Again, limit oils, but spices will taste better if infused in oil for a time. Limit salt intake. For salads, use lemon juice and some spices for a nice pick me up.

As a side note, I like to drink lemon water before eating breakfast to help with digestion.

Example Meal Day:

Breakfast: A bowl of oatmeal, with berries on top and cinnamon. Small handful of nuts to garnish if desired.

Snack: Salad with cucumbers, lettuce, small handful of nuts, lean protein of some kind, lemon and spices. Have fun with it.

Lunch: Black beans and brown rice with lean protein of some type, tomato puree, cumin, basil, oregano, added water until favoured consistency. Add as many veggies as desired.

Snack: Apple with plate of carrots.

Dinner: Stir fry with baby corns, bean sprouts, quinoa or other type of grain or legume, few splashes of soy sauce, some spices.

Bam, done. You can even have a little snack before bed if you like.

Follow this advice strictly, and you will reap the benefits. Disclaimer: Meal plan was only an idea. Variety in eating is optimal.

If interested, I recommend this site for recipe ideas. If you're a meat eater, you can always sub for lean protein.

http://www.healthyeatingstartshere.com/

There are also other resources and plenty of food blogs.

http://fitnessista.com/

http://healthifulbalance.blogspot.de...end-plans.html

http://blueberrysmiles.com/2012/05/1...-eats-wiaw-20/

http://www.peasandcrayons.com/ (If you look at her ''What I Ate Wednesday'' post, there are links to others that show what they eat. They're pretty much all geared towards healthy eating and fitness.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    You can lose weight without exercising at all. Cut calories. That's really all there is to it. If you drop down to about 1200 calories a day, you'll lose weight. You just have to make up your mind to be hungry.
    Right. Until your metabolism plummets, and you can't eat 1300 calories without ballooning.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I tried it for a month
    Yoga's useless for weight loss anyway, it basically just limbers you up and gives you more muscles. Do you have access to an ocean or a pool? Surfing or swimming's a great calorie burner.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

More muscles means weight loss, doesn't it?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Yoga's useless for weight loss anyway, it basically just limbers you up and gives you more muscles. .
    this assertion is incorrect ...Bikram/power/hot yoga burns a lot of calories and can and does lead to weight loss. You must be referring to hatha or yin yoga exclusively...also building muscle also leads to fat loss and a higher metabolism.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yoga doesn't really build much muscle (Ashtanga and power yoga are exceptions). If you've always been inactive, then you will obviously see results. But it wouldn't do much for somebody who actually lifts weights, for instance. It's not really a muscle-builder or maintainer. It's more of a great way to become flexible, and to build core strength. These things are very important, granted, but they shouldn't be the only thing you're doing in your exercise regime.

I find Ashtanga Yoga truly inspiring, and would love to achieve this one day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k

If you're really lazy, just adding a 2 hour walk everyday will definitely show improvement. Walking is underrated in the unhealthy and lazy people. I used to be there, so I know.

High intensity interval training, tabata is very effective, with a short amount of time. bodyrock.tv used to be pretty effective, until Zuzana left. Now it's far too variable. Getting in just a 10 - 15 minute a day of high intensity can be pretty optimal. I used to do 6 minutes of high intensity before breakfast, which was awesome. Lost interest though.

If you want to build muscle, lift weights. Squats, deadlifts, rows and lunges are best. They will help build muscle, and burn fat.

What I will do during a session is usually 3 sets of each, 8 - 12 reps with 1 - 3 minute breaks in between for squats and rows. One set of dead lifts, 8 - 12 reps, one set of lunges on each leg, 8 - 12 reps. Increasing weights as often as able.

If you're concerned about 'bulking'... Don't. That's a silly myth. Ladies don't bulk, we just lean up. It all depends on what you eat. You can't really lift more after a certain point if you're not focusing on how many grams of protein you get in a day. It's just really, really good for you to balance cardio with weight training.

And if you're ballooning at 1300 kcal, 'metabolism' likely has nothing to do with it. It's all about what you're taking in and how often you move. And how tall you are, how much you weigh. Try not to go below your BMR. People try to rush it, without lasting results. If you're eating fast sugars and carbs, such as mixed cereals, breads, and other hidden unhealthy foods, it's gonna show on you. Especially if you're not drinking enough water.

There is an enormous difference between eating 1300 kcal of bread, ice cream, juices, candy, and 1300 kcal of beans, rice, tofu, green vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, lean protein, etc.

Everything that is sold in the stores should be questioned. Anytime something costs money, it should be questioned, because the only motivation is profit. They don't care about your health. Even if something says, ''Healthy'' or ''balanced'' on the package, it usually isn't. Be smart, and read ingredient labels. This is a huge step towards healthy eating.

My own experience through my understanding of nutrition helped me to go from morbidly obese to healthy. There are no shortcuts to your health. Change your lifestyle. Don't expect a quick fix.