• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Herbalist hippies, I call unto you.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an array of musculoskeletal issues that have led to early osteoarthritis. Ordinarily I'd take some kind of NSAID [aspirin, naproxen, ibuprofen] to alleviate the pain, or use as prophylaxis before starting a busy day. Unfortunately, another medication I'm on strongly advises against combining it with NSAIDs, as it'll render the drug less effective, and potentially cause hyperkalemia, something I've had issues with, before.

For the time being, I'm resorting to taking herbal/nutritional supplements that do not interfere with my other medication.
They are-

-fish oil- [2] 1200 mg capsules 1-2x daily
-ginger root- [1] 550mg capsule 1x daily
-turmeric root- [2] 400 mg capsules 1-2x daily
-green tea- about a cup a day

I also take a daily multivitamin, and am health conscious about what I eat, probably to a neurotic degree. I've had phsyical therapy, & do keep up with excercises to keep the muscles strong.

My questions for you herbalist/natural health buffs are:

Have you tried these before? What were your experiences?
Are there any other [easy to locate/low cost] supplements I should look into that have anti-inflammatory/analgesic properties?

Thanks!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is tough about the NSAIDs.

The only thing about fish oil is the potential mercury/heavy metal contamination. I think you can get omega 3 f.a. oil that is more vegetarian based, and thus not worry about that.

Dietary-wise, meats and dairy products (animal by-products) can contribute to joint pain because toxins can build up in them as your body processes them, especially if you eat large quantities of them (like daily). This could exacerbate your symptoms. It could even be the main cause of your symptoms.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is tough about the NSAIDs.

The only thing about fish oil is the potential mercury/heavy metal contamination. I think you can get omega 3 f.a. oil that is more vegetarian based, and thus not worry about that.

Dietary-wise, meats and dairy products (animal by-products) can contribute to joint pain because toxins can build up in them as your body processes them, especially if you eat large quantities of them (like daily). This could exacerbate your symptoms. It could even be the main cause of your symptoms.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do consume fish/poultry about once a week. Tend to get protein from almonds/almond based products. Interesting to hear about the toxins, however. The main causes of my symptoms are from previous joint injuries/surgeries, bone tumor/surgery, a spinal fracture, as well as mild scoliosis [slight sideways curvature] between the shoulder blades [one's a little higher than the other]; the imbalance resulted in severe muscle/connective tissue tears to one shoulder, from uneven weight bearing activities.

I purchase mercury-free fish oil, though who can be certain it's always filtered properly..
I read that flaxseed oil can offer similar benefits.

Thanks for responding so quickly; you've given me useful data to chew over. :yes:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah, i forgot about flaxseed oil.....though I think it tastes yucky--well, I think it has a very pungent smell, if I remember correctly.

My grandmother used to dissolve aspirin in rubbing alcohol and then rub it on her worst joints. She said it helped. They manufacture a cream that is essentially the same thing now.

Arnica tincture would be good too. :)

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
oh i loooove bbc's grow your own drugs series.

[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] i remember you were looking for some natural beauty treats too right?

some recipes:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh i loooove bbc's grow your own drugs series.

some recipes:

:holy: I need to look up this series!

& yeah, I'll attest to the benefits of tea tree oil on acne [witch hazel's also helpful, though both of these things smell a bit weird].

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
:holy: I need to look up this series!

& yeah, I'll attest to the benefits of tea tree oil on acne [witch hazel's also helpful, though both of these things smell a bit weird].

oh it's a fantastic show. he makes like everything from pot pourri to edibles and beauty products. very cool.
i also used tea tree oil when i was younger too. so potent to zap and dry out white heads.

james wong is an ethnobotanist... whatever that means.

here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pst7w/episodes/guide

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
james wong is an ethnobotanist... whatever that means.

I misread this as, james bond..

Wikipedia describes the work of ethnobotanists as follows: ''Ethnobotanists aim to document, describe and explain complex relationships between cultures and (uses of) plants, focusing primarily on how plants are used, managed and perceived across human societies. This includes use for food, clothing, currency, ritual, medicine, dye, construction, cosmetics and more.''

I suppose this would not interest a spy..
or.. would it.. :thinking:

:happy: thanks, lady!

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have to take a look at some of my notes but right off the top of my head:

nettle infusion
black licorice tea/infusion
bone soup

Let me get back to you with the rest. Do you have Ehlers-Danlos or Marfans? I have early-onset OA, from ED.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to take a look at some of my notes but right off the top of my head:

nettle infusion
black licorice tea/infusion
bone soup

Let me get back to you with the rest. Do you have Ehlers-Danlos or Marfans? I have early-onset OA, from ED.

A couple doctors suspected Marfans; commenting on it offhandedly, but I've yet to get tested for that. As for genetic autoimmune disorders- my grandmother has lupus, & my mother sarcoidosis, so I'm supposed to be checked out for those sometime soon.

I've seen black licorice tea around, before. I HATE that flavoring.. but I'm willing to give it a try.
Thank you!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
What your taking is good. Keep that up.
If the potential mercury content of fish troubles you, you can buy 'molecularly distilled' fish oil.
You can double or triple the amount of turmeric you take. It won't hurt you. Same with ginger.
Most spices have anti-inflammatory properties, and those properties are increased by cooking, so eat/make Indian food, put cinnamon in you coffee, etc; also eat lots of dark green leafy veggies (kale, spinich), mushrooms, onions, garlic and olive oil. Eat lots of fiber too: oatmeal, salads, yams/sweet potatoes.
Making me hungry...

You can cut down on cost by buying turmeric in bulk from a 'natural' market ($7-12/lb) and mixing it into vanilla soy milk or any strong flavored drink.
There is a blend of herbs called Zyflamend that you might want to try too.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What your taking is good. Keep that up.
If the potential mercury content of fish troubles you, you can buy 'molecularly distilled' fish oil.
You can double or triple the amount of turmeric you take. It won't hurt you. Same with ginger.
Most spices have anti-inflammatory properties, and those properties are increased by cooking, so eat/make Indian food, put cinnamon in you coffee, etc; also eat lots of dark green leafy veggies (kale, spinich), mushrooms, onions, garlic and olive oil. Eat lots of fiber too: oatmeal, salads, yams/sweet potatoes.
Making me hungry...

You can cut down on cost by buying turmeric in bulk from a 'natural' market ($7-12/lb) and mixing it into vanilla soy milk or any strong flavored drink.
There is a blend of herbs called Zyflamend that you might want to try too.

Ah, yeah, I add cinnamon to everything I can, haha. Ginger's good in my coffee/tea, too. Initially I took that in the hopes of alleviating nausea from Rx medications/migraines, but take it more regularly after doing research. I love veggies, oatmeal, & sweet potatoes- they're the only kinda potato I'll eat, so, that works out.

I read an article about turmeric being more easily absorbed into the body when it's infused with black peppercorns, and that some supplements are sold with that infusion, though I haven't come across it in drugstores.. :thinking:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, yeah, I add cinnamon to everything I can, haha. Ginger's good in my coffee/tea, too. Initially I took that in the hopes of alleviating nausea from Rx medications/migraines, but take it more regularly after doing research. I love veggies, oatmeal, & sweet potatoes- they're the only kinda potato I'll eat, so, that works out.

I read an article about turmeric being more easily absorbed into the body when it's infused with black peppercorns, and that some supplements are sold with that infusion, though I haven't come across it in drugstores.. :thinking:

Black pepper makes turmeric easier for the body to absorb. I use a pepper grinder and add it to my 'turmeric shooter', which is an 8 ounce glass of orange juice with about a level tablespoon of T.

Fire

Exercise, both aerobic and weight-bearing. Sunlight during the hottest part of the day (don't stay out long enough to go bright red). Tanning under full-spectrum UV light in winter. Vitamin D drops. MSM.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

Turmeric with black pepper:
http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-turmeric-extract-curcumin-c3-complex-with-bioperine

I would take this stuff all of the time if it weren't for the $$..

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exercise, both aerobic and weight-bearing. Sunlight during the hottest part of the day (don't stay out long enough to go bright red). Tanning under full-spectrum UV light in winter. Vitamin D drops. MSM.

F that.. I'm translucent white, I burn super easy just standing by windows!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll ask my mom and get back to you on this.