User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Weight training

  1. #1
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default Weight training

    How much of a warm up do you need for weight training? Like do you have to do five or fifthteen minutes cardio or no cardio? What sorts of breaks do you need to take when weight training? Should you train different muscle groups or just do what you enjoy?

  2. #2
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Depends on what you want to get out of it.

    I would definitely recommend stretching.

    And as far as breaks and stuff, your body will let you know when you need a break.

  3. #3
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Loaded question with many different answers depending on your goals. Elaborate on those, and I'm sure a few people will chime in with some tips.

    Definitely train different muscle groups. You won't get the results you want if you're just "doing what you want."

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Has anyone tried the peak fitness training?
    Health is wealth.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How much of a warm up do you need for weight training? Like do you have to do five or fifthteen minutes cardio or no cardio? What sorts of breaks do you need to take when weight training? Should you train different muscle groups or just do what you enjoy?
    5 minutes of warm up. Or just warm up with weights. Take 1-2 minute breaks. Training needs to be balanced between opposing muscle groups. These are pretty basic guidelines.

  6. #6
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    5 minutes of warm up. Or just warm up with weights. Take 1-2 minute breaks. Training needs to be balanced between opposing muscle groups. These are pretty basic guidelines.
    Wolfy, I am doing weight training now and loving it! I remember telling you about how I shied away from it. I do circuit training with cardio for 30 min 3 times a week. Weights, minute rest, minute of stair steps, minute rest, weight again, etc. I get a much better workout than just cardio alone and I really enjoy the variety. Already seeing results.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Wolfy, I am doing weight training now and loving it! I remember telling you about how I shied away from it. I do circuit training with cardio for 30 min 3 times a week. Weights, minute rest, minute of stair steps, minute rest, weight again, etc. I get a much better workout than just cardio alone and I really enjoy the variety. Already seeing results.
    That's awesome!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    It depends.... but i would recommend not training the same muscle groups everyday, unless you want to encumber them and suffer from training induced damage that can possibly occur over time from overusage of the muscle and poor form, etc. Take every other day to rest, and if you're training for numerous hours each dday, keep the times apart so you can optimize testosterone secretion and avoid cortisol going up and generally rest and load up.

    If you have the cash to spare and want to do this properly i'd recommend you get this book. Very helpful for amateur body builders and casual weight-lifters.

    http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Encycl.../dp/0684857219

    as for cardio... you don't really need a warm up when you weight-lift. If you really feel that i prepares you, just do some light-weight sets when weight-lifting. I'd generally avoid doing cardio, just to optimize the time you spend on weight-lifting.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  9. #9
    F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    I'm stretching my muscles, like, less weights more reps I like weight training.

Similar Threads

  1. How does body weight training compare to weightlifting and cardio?
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 01:02 AM
  2. Minimal training for maximum pay-off
    By labyrinthine in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
  3. What made my INTJ friend to start marathon training..
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
  4. Losing the Weight -- How?
    By Totenkindly in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 05:49 AM
  5. All Aboard the Gravy Train
    By labyrinthine in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO