User Tag List

Thread: Weight training

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Weight training

How much of a warm up do you need for weight training? Like do you have to do five or fifthteen minutes cardio or no cardio? What sorts of breaks do you need to take when weight training? Should you train different muscle groups or just do what you enjoy?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Depends on what you want to get out of it.

I would definitely recommend stretching.

And as far as breaks and stuff, your body will let you know when you need a break.

MBTI
    ISTx

Loaded question with many different answers depending on your goals. Elaborate on those, and I'm sure a few people will chime in with some tips.

Definitely train different muscle groups. You won't get the results you want if you're just "doing what you want."

Has anyone tried the peak fitness training?
    Health is wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How much of a warm up do you need for weight training? Like do you have to do five or fifthteen minutes cardio or no cardio? What sorts of breaks do you need to take when weight training? Should you train different muscle groups or just do what you enjoy?
    5 minutes of warm up. Or just warm up with weights. Take 1-2 minute breaks. Training needs to be balanced between opposing muscle groups. These are pretty basic guidelines.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    5 minutes of warm up. Or just warm up with weights. Take 1-2 minute breaks. Training needs to be balanced between opposing muscle groups. These are pretty basic guidelines.
    Wolfy, I am doing weight training now and loving it! I remember telling you about how I shied away from it. I do circuit training with cardio for 30 min 3 times a week. Weights, minute rest, minute of stair steps, minute rest, weight again, etc. I get a much better workout than just cardio alone and I really enjoy the variety. Already seeing results.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Survive & Stay Free liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Wolfy, I am doing weight training now and loving it! I remember telling you about how I shied away from it. I do circuit training with cardio for 30 min 3 times a week. Weights, minute rest, minute of stair steps, minute rest, weight again, etc. I get a much better workout than just cardio alone and I really enjoy the variety. Already seeing results.
    That's awesome!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

It depends.... but i would recommend not training the same muscle groups everyday, unless you want to encumber them and suffer from training induced damage that can possibly occur over time from overusage of the muscle and poor form, etc. Take every other day to rest, and if you're training for numerous hours each dday, keep the times apart so you can optimize testosterone secretion and avoid cortisol going up and generally rest and load up.

If you have the cash to spare and want to do this properly i'd recommend you get this book. Very helpful for amateur body builders and casual weight-lifters.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Encycl.../dp/0684857219

as for cardio... you don't really need a warm up when you weight-lift. If you really feel that i prepares you, just do some light-weight sets when weight-lifting. I'd generally avoid doing cardio, just to optimize the time you spend on weight-lifting.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I'm stretching my muscles, like, less weights more reps I like weight training.