• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weight training

Lark

How much of a warm up do you need for weight training? Like do you have to do five or fifthteen minutes cardio or no cardio? What sorts of breaks do you need to take when weight training? Should you train different muscle groups or just do what you enjoy?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Depends on what you want to get out of it.

I would definitely recommend stretching.

And as far as breaks and stuff, your body will let you know when you need a break.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Loaded question with many different answers depending on your goals. Elaborate on those, and I'm sure a few people will chime in with some tips.

Definitely train different muscle groups. You won't get the results you want if you're just "doing what you want."

wolfy

awsm
How much of a warm up do you need for weight training? Like do you have to do five or fifthteen minutes cardio or no cardio? What sorts of breaks do you need to take when weight training? Should you train different muscle groups or just do what you enjoy?

5 minutes of warm up. Or just warm up with weights. Take 1-2 minute breaks. Training needs to be balanced between opposing muscle groups. These are pretty basic guidelines.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
5 minutes of warm up. Or just warm up with weights. Take 1-2 minute breaks. Training needs to be balanced between opposing muscle groups. These are pretty basic guidelines.

Wolfy, I am doing weight training now and loving it! I remember telling you about how I shied away from it. I do circuit training with cardio for 30 min 3 times a week. Weights, minute rest, minute of stair steps, minute rest, weight again, etc. I get a much better workout than just cardio alone and I really enjoy the variety. Already seeing results. :)

wolfy

awsm
Wolfy, I am doing weight training now and loving it! I remember telling you about how I shied away from it. I do circuit training with cardio for 30 min 3 times a week. Weights, minute rest, minute of stair steps, minute rest, weight again, etc. I get a much better workout than just cardio alone and I really enjoy the variety. Already seeing results. :)

That's awesome!

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
It depends.... but i would recommend not training the same muscle groups everyday, unless you want to encumber them and suffer from training induced damage that can possibly occur over time from overusage of the muscle and poor form, etc. Take every other day to rest, and if you're training for numerous hours each dday, keep the times apart so you can optimize testosterone secretion and avoid cortisol going up and generally rest and load up.

If you have the cash to spare and want to do this properly i'd recommend you get this book. Very helpful for amateur body builders and casual weight-lifters.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Encyclopedia-Modern-Bodybuilding/dp/0684857219

as for cardio... you don't really need a warm up when you weight-lift. If you really feel that i prepares you, just do some light-weight sets when weight-lifting. I'd generally avoid doing cardio, just to optimize the time you spend on weight-lifting.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm stretching my muscles, like, less weights more reps :D I like weight training.