• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sleep

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some people say they don't get much sleep, either because there are other interesting things that keep them awake (so they stay awake until their body tells them they need to sleep,) or they just don't have the luxury of sleep. Or if you were like me, your sleep cycle makes it hard to sleep.

I ABSOLUTELY love sleep, but if I had the chance, I would stay up if I could. Something about having naturally low energy and wanting to get all the sleep I can get.... besides the fact my circadian rhythm is out of whack and I consciously start feeling sleepy at 6 a.m for no good reason (whether I went to sleep or not.) I've tried every method I could to get my body to recognize that I want to try to get to sleep between 9pm to 12am, nothing seems to work lol. So the chemicals that tell me I should sleep starts reacting at 6am.

So I don't know...maybe staying up more often is a good thing for me.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How have you tried to control your circadian rhythm?

I've tried melatonin a little bit before the time I wanted to sleep (sometimes made me even sleepier when I wanted to wake up.)

I've tried sleep inducing "drugs" <----- don't want to be using these often.

I've tried sleeping at around the same time (bad, because I usually spend about 1-2 hours trying to sleep, sometimes not getting any sleep at all.)

I've tried staying up for a whole day (while not having anything important to do) until the time I wanted to sleep <---- required something to keep me awake in case I sleep in the middle of the day.

If I do end up getting my 6-8 hours, when I wake up at around 6, I end up feeling tired to sleep 3 more hours. My internal clock either wakes me up at 6 (only to tell me to sleep more) or it tells me to sleep at 6. If I don't get that extra 3 hours, I tend to just be in the low energy mood the whole day.

G

Ginkgo

Honestly, the greatest force in my life that's kept me awake when I ought to be awake and asleep when I ought to be asleep is having something to wake up for and having something to sleep for. It's so hard to sleep without having a prospective tomorrow, and hard to stay awake without knowing you have a bed to cradle you when you're done with the day.

You should probably turn off all lights, be they from computer illumination, small lamps, TVs, or anything of the sort 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep.

Another technique is relaxing your muscles from head to toe, taking deep breaths, and letting the loose feeling wash over you. This pacifies and relaxes the mind as well, since it requires an intimate focus on the body instead of unwanted thoughts that may keep you up.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i've been sleeping twice a day now.
from 4am-8am and again 5.30pm-7.30ishpm
i just somehow kinda molded myself
around my boyfriend's schedule.

if i don't do my evening nap, then i get
a groggier sleep from 4am-9/10am

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Honestly, the greatest force in my life that's kept me awake when I ought to be awake and asleep when I ought to be asleep is having something to wake up for and having something to sleep for. It's so hard to sleep without having a prospective tomorrow, and hard to stay awake without knowing you have a bed to cradle you when you're done with the day.

You should probably turn off all lights, be they from computer illumination, small lamps, TVs, or anything of the sort 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep.

Another technique is relaxing your muscles from head to toe, taking deep breaths, and letting the loose feeling wash over you. This pacifies and relaxes the mind as well, since it requires an intimate focus on the body instead of unwanted thoughts that may keep you up.

It wasn't always like this. :laugh: I always woke up at around 6am in the morning from a little kid to the end of high-school, I'm not sure what is with the sudden 180. Though my current semester classes pretty much force me to wake up between 6-7am, having to wake up that time is tough (though I wake up anyways.) IF, I was allowed to wake at 9 and start my day at 12 in the noon, things tend to change dramatically. But if I was allowed to sleep at 6 and wake up at 12, I'm pretty much wide-awake for the day.

But I'll try that more often.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm guessing you mean to exercise at the time I want to wake up?

Or do you mean to exercise a bit before I sleep?

Intense exercise in the morning or early afternoon would probably be better. Exercising later in the day might be harder for you to fall asleep because your heartrate will stay relatively high for hours afterward.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Not just any exercise. Resistance training. I do it right before I go to bed because it wipes me right out. It's not about raising your heartrate, it's more so tiring out your muscles so the only opportunity your body will repair that is while you sleep.

Taking a magnesium supplement helps with insomnia. Most people with insomnia show insufficient levels of magnesium. I can't even take magnesium during the day. It really does make your tired!