• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

there has to be a better alternative!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so yeah, I've mentioned a few times on the forum that I quit drinking again nearing a year ago... the first time I quit for over a year before starting again because I have the brains of a sea urchin and this time I realize that it was a stupid decision. I haven't really mentioned that it's pretty much translated to a serious addiction to candy though... seriously :doh:

somehow the wires in my brain seem to be crossed now because whenever I really crave a drink the only acceptable substitutions to my brain end up being something like twizzlers or coffee with a shit ton of sugar in it... anything else I've tried hasn't managed to do a thing to make it stop... exercize, tea, other types of food... they just don't work. Unfortunate side effect is that I've gained some weight since then and I can't say that I'm particularly pleased... I still don't fall into the overweight category, but I'm kind of feeling threatened if I can't find another alternative :unsure:

any suggestions? I have no desire to die sober but appearing to be jabba the hutt's long lost sister :puppy_dog_eyes:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
From one addictive personality to another, I can't say I've had any success.

When one addiction disappears, I have without fail replaced it with something else.

I've just tried to get to a place where my addiction affects my life as little as possible.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah... trying to balance that with being super busy at any given time is such a joy as well :doh: I spend enough time at work that fitting an exercise routine in every time that I eat something horrible isn't really feasible and I've TRIED to move that addiction onto something else and the only thing that seems like a proper substitute for sugar is... alcohol :laugh: :blush:

I'm starting to think that my brain hates me :peepwall:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah... trying to balance that with being super busy at any given time is such a joy as well :doh: I spend enough time at work that fitting an exercise routine in every time that I eat something horrible isn't really feasible and I've TRIED to move that addiction onto something else and the only thing that seems like a proper substitute for sugar is... alcohol :laugh: :blush:

I'm starting to think that my brain hates me :peepwall:
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/genetics/a/blacer031114.htm

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
see that's why i don't think i have a problem, because i don't have a sweet tooth. i really want bacon.

that's just talking about genetic disposition... you can have a problem without a genetic disposition, ms chickenz :tongue:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well I'm going to go get high while y'all hash it out.

dazedandconfused.gif

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I try to avoid buying junk food whenever possible because when I see it, I WILL eat it - usually in excessive quantities. I'm guessing you already do that with booze. How to stop the cravings is a harder question. Sweet but healthier snacks like baby carrots or apples, or squares of very dark chocolate might help but I know that isn't a perfect substitute. For me it's mostly the munching that I find addictive so I just try to do it with the least awful food possible - air popped popcorn isn't completely horrible for you. Doesn't help the sugar craving, though.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't even keep candy in the house either, but I'm out and about in public all day and a LOT of places have candy dishes... not to mention that all stores and gas stations seem to have candy beside the register :doh:

and I usually don't mindlessly munch, fortunately... I just get a serious craving for sweets that is almost single-minded :blush:

A

A window to the soul

The alternative is the positive inspiration in *you* to succeed. :coffee:

Your abilities to overcome challenges are far greater than the challenges themselves.

Every problem, every obstacle, every ounce of pain you suffer and overcome will transform you into grace. (You become a stronger-better version of *you*.)

God is my alternative and a source of inspiration. He makes me whole. And truly, for me there's no greater high. Everlasting!! :)

prplchknz said:
I still refuse to have one therefore i don't
Good girl! :solidarity:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unless this is a really regular thing and/or you're eating large quantities of sweets whenever you're eating them, I don't see that it would be that much of a problem. The only options I really see are finding a food that tastes sweet but is relatively lower in calories, or try to find other ways to cut out unwanted calories in your diet to balance it out.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about carrots?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
carrots don't make up for candy, if [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] is like me if i have a craving that what I want. for example of I want KFC, popeyes or churches won't satisfy that craving, it's very specific.

damnit now I want KFC and they're not open for another 3 hours

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eat 6 times a day but only at those apportioned times. Mini meals 200-300 calories you can have sugars but try to make them natural sugars ie a banana

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that a part of everything is that I didn't eat that much when I was drinking because I was much more interested in drinking and I tended to drink to the point of throwing up when I did... and then ending up hungover with similar effects when I woke up... I probably consumed less than 500 calories in food a day when I was in the full swing of drinking :unsure:

I chatted some with my coworker who does quite a bit of work with recovering addicts after work for a while and he said that the fact that I keep feeling the need to snack on candy is rather normal because it's kind of a comfort thing in a way the same way that alcohol was and that I'm kind of displacing one addiction to another... and the next step is to break that one :doh:

I suppose the biggest questions here are how grumpy I'm going to be this time and what I'm going to end up addicted to now? :ninja: (especially considering the fact that I've also put a considerable amount of time and interest into work... will I become even more obsessive? :shock:)