Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Probiotics

I think probiotics and natural antibiotic and anti-viral substances like garlic and onions are probably the best way to avoid having to go to the doctor and take prescription antibiotics.

Probiotics are not only necessary to intestinal health, but can support the immune system and even prevent yeast infections in women.

One of the things that I think is interesting is that the U.S. has ignored probiotics for many years. Even our lame yogurt products have been shitty in comparison to some of the Greek varieties that are finally emerging on the market.

I really like plain greek yogurt and kefir. I also just tried ryazhenka for the first time today, which tastes like a cross between kefir and condensed milk...and the richness of it means it's slightly more fattening, but has a richer taste than kefir.
    This is actually the first time in my entire life I've actually seen ryazhenka in an American store. (Maybe I should look harder).

I wonder if the natural way of getting probiotics (yogurt, kefir, ryazhenka) is better than taking supplements, or if supplements are a fast way of getting the maximum good bacteria into your system.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I was surprised at how expensive the supplements are (not to mention confusing- so many of them). I'm all for getting them the natural way because of that.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

^ Yeah, probiotics seem like a rip-off, but they work, especially after a course of anti-biotics, or a night of hard drinking.
    I have wondered if they might be an adjunct treatment for depression/anxiety, since some research has pointed to involvement of gut bacteria in those conditions.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been probiotic dry for six months now, but I never noticed the difference on and off them. I just trust the gut-work that happens, especially since I'm gluten intolerant it makes it more imperative to balance the intensitinal flora.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've noticed I really do feel better when I drink kefir, and I honestly crave greek yogurt.

I've also used plain, unsweetened yogurt to treat a yeast infection without using any kind of harsh OTC medications.

@Giggly yeah it seems best to just incorporate probiotic foods into your regular diet. It just keeps your body working properly and is cheaper.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I have wondered if they might be an adjunct treatment for depression/anxiety, since some research has pointed to involvement of gut bacteria in those conditions.

I was wondering about that as well. Especially since kefir, in particular, promotes a feeling of well-being, that there's truth to the depression/anxiety link. I read a bit about it last night.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I was wondering about that as well. Especially since kefir, in particular, promotes a feeling of well-being, that there's truth to the depression/anxiety link. I read a bit about it last night.
    I love kefir. i would drink it everyday if I had more money
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I love kefir. i would drink it everyday if I had more money
    Drink it instead of milk. Voila, it becomes more affordable.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Drink it instead of milk. Voila, it becomes more affordable.
    as soon as I can convince my parents to buy it, I will, but I think me having enough to pay for it will come before then (I just got a pretty promising job)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    as soon as I can convince my parents to buy it, I will, but I think me having enough to pay for it will come before then (I just got a pretty promising job)
    Oh you don't have a job.

You could also learn how to make it at home. Ever since I met my ENTJ friend a couple of years ago I've been saying I'm going to make tvorog at home, and I still haven't done it. HOWEVER, apparently making kefir is much quicker and simpler to make than tvorog if you have kefir grains.

You have to buy those, though.