User Tag List

123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Skin care: tips, products, experiences, etc

Since I <3 the Makeup etc products thread, I thought this might be useful to throw into a separate thread. Bonus - likely to be more relevant than the makeup thread for most of our male members.

How much fuss do you put into your skin care regime (if any)? Do you wash your face regularly? Do you have problem skin or underlying conditions to deal with? Sensitive, dry, oily, rosacea, dark circles, acne, etc? What are your favourite products/natural remedies/etc?

It seems like very few people are blessed with naturally great skin and the rest of us have to work at it - what works for you? (try to avoid makeup-based tips as there is already a thread for that!)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've had fairly good skin all my life but I have been taking care of since I was a teenager. I have dry skin and it's even worse in winter. I have tried SO many things but the Philosophy products work best for me in conjunction with a Clarisonic Mia.

I was a little reluctant to spend $100 on the thing but it's been outstanding with the dry patches I get in the winter. I use it every other day with the Purity cleanser.

Morning regiment

Night regiment

I'm really happy with all the Philosophy products I've tried. I no longer need any exfoliating products because of the Clarisonic. I have also tried some of the Bare Essentials skin care products (I use Bare Minerals only) and they are good too. If I ever become unhappy with Philosophy, I will go right to them.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I was a little reluctant to spend $100 on the thing but it's been outstanding with the dry patches I get in the winter. I use it every other day with the Purity cleanser.
    How does it help with dry patches? (I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how that works.)

Also: tweezers. Anybody have a favorite brand? I've used tweezerman for the past several years, and they work better than any others I've tried before, but I'm still not entirely happy with them.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    How does it help with dry patches? (I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how that works.)

Also: tweezers. Anybody have a favorite brand? I've used tweezerman for the past several years, and they work better than any others I've tried before, but I'm still not entirely happy with them.
    Better exfoliating I'm assuming. My face feels more smooth and none of the redness around the dry patches either. I'm not sure how that is happening. I also love Tweezerman but I figured out, you have to get them sharpened from time to time. Fortunately Tweezerman will do that for free for the life of the tweezers.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

I've been very lucky with my skin, and I don't really have much of a regime. Only recently have I made more of an effort to wash my face with warm water daily, outside of the shower, cleanse and moisturise.

I use products by REN, and would recommend their products to others.

Thankfully I've got an excellent one-stop shop near me (Mecca Cosmetica), with some very helpful staff, so I don't have to shop around much.

1. 1. Avoid washing your face in the shower by holding your face under the high-pressure spray. Over time this will give you spider veins on your face.
    2. 2. With washing your hair, gradually lengthen the time between washes. It will be almost unbearably greasy at first, but soon enough your hair will feel the same one or two weeks as it used to after two days. Definitely worth the grease-ball phase.
    3. 3. If you ever happen to visit one of these places...

... for gods sake, DO NOT spread the stuff on your face! These natural mineral baths are terrible for your skin, and the so-called health benefits are a myth. Small amounts of sulfur are good for a lot of things, but everyone I know who went to one of these places came out with shocking skin for the next few days, and one for the next week or so.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't really tend to wash my face ever... when I do it tends to dry out and other stuff and it also takes time... I'll remove makeup (sometimes) but that's about it! I do always wear sunscreen though because I burn easily and skin cancer tends to run in my family

I think I fall into the category of naturally lucky people since I'm in general neglectful of my skin and it's still one of my most frequently complemented features
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Epsom salt baths. I've been trying these out the last few months and my skin has become very healthy and clear. I drink lots of water too, but I know the epsom salt specifically helps when I exfoliate with it. I've never had any other product produce the result it does, but to be fair I haven't gone to great lengths of trying others either. THe cool thing is that it is really cheap!

Here are other benefits:

Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.

Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.

Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.

Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.

Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.

Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.

Improved oxygen use.

Improved absorption of nutrients.

Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.

Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Walnuts and Almonds and lots of them. Eat them now!!! nom nom nom

Seriously tho these two nuts are good for the brain and skin. Antioxidants too. Anitoxidents slow the aging process down and make your cell run their best despite the crap food you shouldn't be eating.
    Innovation is the epicenter between Imagination and Logic.
    -Stephen M Cordova

You and your friend can draw together > http://draw.newphidias.com/ <

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    -Thomas Jefferson, 1796

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Question for you all -

So I did finally get Retin A about a week ago and just started using it. I've noticed that around that time I had an increase of edema generally and my face is a little puffy looking. However, edema is a problem for me generally, so I wondered if it was just coincidence, or if anyone else has experienced this and if so, is it a side effect for some people or part of the acclimating process? I've been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and I think it has made a difference for my skin's tone and colour. I'm hoping to stick it out with the Retin A. So far it hasn't been too irritating - just a little pink.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Question for you all -

So I did finally get Retin A about a week ago and just started using it. I've noticed that around that time I had an increase of edema generally and my face is a little puffy looking. However, edema is a problem for me generally, so I wondered if it was just coincidence, or if anyone else has experienced this and if so, is it a side effect for some people or part of the acclimating process? I've been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and I think it has made a difference for my skin's tone and colour. I'm hoping to stick it out with the Retin A. So far it hasn't been too irritating - just a little pink.
    Your skin thins out when you start using Retin A, because it gets rid of the top layer, and gets at the ones below it. You're probably just noticing them more because they're more noticeable, not because they are forming( I doubt this). By the time I stopped using Retina A( a year), most of them were completely gone.
    Your lucky it has not irritated you. It hurt the crap out of my skin the first two weeks, and it got so dry and flaky.