User Tag List

12 Last

Default What traits give you the edge in health and fitness?

What types have the edge when it comes to fitness and health?

I thought about this the other day when it became clear to me that the dominance of intellectual pursuits or learning was really over riding doing and feeling the benefits.

Learning or planning really isnt the same as doing. Vitally important as those other two things are.

MBTI
    STP

I dont have an edge anymore, I use to in high school, but I ate to much and am a little more rounded these days

And to add seriousness...my edge is the fact that I really enjoy pushing myself physically...my downfall is that I really enjoy eating.
    Im out, its been fun

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I spent A LOT of time being in perfect shape and working on being in perfect shape in my earlier years of college... I really liked the feeling of using my muscles and wearing them out... it was a good way to take out stress and frustration in a socially acceptable way... I also tended to eat really well back then because I'm picky enough about dining hall food and it's degree of freshness that I avoided certain things

I still get plenty of exercise because I walk a lot at work while wearing heels and such, but I cook for myself now and I don't take things as seriously because I kind of like the T & A that I got by letting go a bit

really, the thing that's most useful is just taking it seriously and learning to enjoy it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I enjoy eating too... when I'm bored, when I've accomplished a task, when I feel angry... I'll give myself any reason to celebrate with eating lol.
    With that said, I don't think I have an edge in fitness. I get exhausted pretty fast and I have barely any muscle strength.
    The only thing that keeps me going is music. That's why I start every workout dancing because it gets me in the zone and as your body gets more in tune with the workout, I can last longer.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I spent A LOT of time being in perfect shape and working on being in perfect shape in my earlier years of college... I really liked the feeling of using my muscles and wearing them out... it was a good way to take out stress and frustration in a socially acceptable way... I also tended to eat really well back then because I'm picky enough about dining hall food and it's degree of freshness that I avoided certain things

I still get plenty of exercise because I walk a lot at work while wearing heels and such, but I cook for myself now and I don't take things as seriously because I kind of like the T & A that I got by letting go a bit

really, the thing that's most useful is just taking it seriously and learning to enjoy it
    My edge used to be that I couldnt gain a pound no matter how much I ate...then 20s set in and that went out the window. T & A from letting go a bit is awesome, a little softness goes a long way Now I semi watch what I eat, but the only edge I have these days is time, physical enjoyment, and the fact that I am always changing things up and dont ever go into the gym with a plan so it doesnt get old.

Here is what I mean by rounded, I used to be extremely cut like those skinny martial artists.
    Im out, its been fun

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@_Poki_ being TOO muscular without any padding isn't even that attractive in a man either... there's nothing to cuddle against or anything... and visible veins in strange places are just... strange...

I have forbidden the man to lose so much weight that he ends up looking like Bruce Lee because of that

and variety is more likely to keep you going back to the gym... boredom is EVIL
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What types have the edge when it comes to fitness and health?

I thought about this the other day when it became clear to me that the dominance of intellectual pursuits or learning was really over riding doing and feeling the benefits.

Learning or planning really isnt the same as doing. Vitally important as those other two things are.
    I don't think that any type has a natural advantage when it comes to health and fitness, but there may be some correlation with the reasons they work on it or the way they approach it.

A lot of people do focus too much on learning and not enough on doing but that's nothing that can't be overcome (type 5's).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

For me music and the fact that it is a creative outlet are the keys. I hate hate HATE doing mindless and soulless exercise that resembles running on a hamster wheel. The exercise and physical activity almost have to be incidental for me - something that just happens as I'm trying to master a skill that is directly related to self-expression and artistic ability. At that point I don't even realize how long or how hard I've worked out, because I'm so focused on my technique and manifesting my ideas. My three faves are belly dancing, hip hop/pop dancing, and tae kwon do.

A Mesomorph

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I don't think that any type has a natural advantage when it comes to health and fitness
    I am not an ectomorph, or an endomorph. I am a mesomorph. So I have an athletic build and put on and take off weight easily. I know it's not fair, but what can I do? I can't stop being a mesomorph, not even for you.

Smile Dancing for joy

Quote Originally Posted by mia_infp View Post
    For me music and the fact that it is a creative outlet are the keys. I hate hate HATE doing mindless and soulless exercise that resembles running on a hamster wheel. The exercise and physical activity almost have to be incidental for me - something that just happens as I'm trying to master a skill that is directly related to self-expression and artistic ability. At that point I don't even realize how long or how hard I've worked out, because I'm so focused on my technique and manifesting my ideas. My three faves are belly dancing, hip hop/pop dancing, and tae kwon do.
    Ah yes, even Madonna has given up exercise and taken up dancing.

Dancing every second day is not only good for our bodies, but is good for our psyches as well, as yes, we dance for joy.