User Tag List

First 234

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I have lots of problems...some call them mental issues, but i try not to judge myself either
    Maybe you should.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Maybe you should.
    Even if i did, doesnt mean i would change. I am kinda fond of my issues. Oh well, theres my judgement of it...i am kinda fond of my issues.

K, i am bored. Back to working on muscle ups
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I also had no idea what a muscle-up was until this thread, and am not 100% about hindu squats, flutter kicks, pistol squats, and manna.

Question: when doing a muscle-up, is kipping (which I believe basically means having a bit of a swinging motion) more-or-less necessary?

Also, when doing lunges, do you lunge one leg forward, then coming back to standing, then lunge the other forward?

Or do you jump from one leg forward straight to the other leg forward?
    It is possible to do a muscle-up slow but it takes a really strong base and I've never seen anyone doing it without a false grip, where your thumb is on the top with your fingers, your palm is on the top, and your hands are turned slightly in. I think most people at least sway/swing to get the extra momentum behind them. I wouldn't necessarily consider it kipping if your legs are still pretty much straight, but it definitely is easier if you are really kipping.

Jumping, walking, or just doing one leg at a time are just different variations of lunges really, with jumping being the more intense of the three. I prefer walking lunges but coming back to standing are just as good if you are lacking space. One thing that has helped me with lunges is making sure that, rather than pushing forward as I lower, I'm lowering straight down. It makes sure that the strain is on my glutes instead of my knees, so it's more like squatting down in a lunge position, making sure that the front knee doesn't pass the front of the foot (same rule goes for body weight squats).

I used the term hindu squat mostly out of habit. I actually just do normal body weight squats with my arms in front of me, rather than the big sweeping motion that a lot of people do with hindu squats, which is kind of annoying to me.

Here's some videos about the other things:

Flutter Kicks

Pistol Squats

Manna

Planche
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INTj

Update: Tried the weighted pullup/dip format, using an "until-failure" tactic... My trainer friend at the gym let me borrow something that looks like a Kevlar vest, but it's weighted at about 25-35 pounds. Kicking my ass so far, but I've gotten a decent amount of gain using that method.
    I'll go weighted pullups, then weighted dips, do those in max sets until failure, then take off the vest and do pullups/dip maxes until failure again.
    Unbelievably good workouts so far.
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ego Reparate; Ob Me Non Deficiat.
    INTJ - RCOEI - sx/sp/so - Tritype: 683 (6w5-8w9-3w4) - True Neutral
    "Yeah, wisdom always chooses/These black eyes and these bruises"
    "Over the heartache that they say/Never completely goes away..."

MBTI
    ISTx

Typical routine: Weighted vest for pull ups. Quick and easy way to get a good upper body work out in. I also use the vest for push ups.

Last edited by swordpath; 06-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Hate

@swordpath

How much weight are you putting on the vest?

How many reps and sets do you do?

How long do you rest in between reps and sets?

How many different hand positions are you doing?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post

How much weight are you putting on the vest?

How many reps and sets do you do?

How long do you rest in between reps and sets?

How many different hand positions are you doing?
    I've got 33 lbs on it right now. I usually do one set to start things off without the vest, and do about 20 reps. Then, I do about 3 sets with the vest - 1st set will be about 12 reps, second set around 10, and third set around 8-10. Then after I've done about 3 sets with the vest I'll take it off and do another set or two with just my body weight. I'm not strict about how long I rest between sets, but it's usually about 2-3 minutes.

I usually do chin ups when I'm wearing the vest and alternate chin ups/pull ups without it. I go with about as wide of a grip as I can with the door jam. Sometimes I'll do a set or two with those inner handle bars to hit biceps harder.