User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 37

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Every place I go has not a single door frame that works for the model of pull-up bar that presses against the over-hang. I keep briefly renting tiny apartments where the owners wouldn't want me to drill are a bar into the walls.
    My current apartment has a sun room instead of a balcony so I have a computer desk on one side and my power tower(pullups/dips/leg raises/etc.) on the other side. Works out pretty good.

    Been focusing the last couple days on pronated close(shoulder width) pullups to the chest to work on muscle ups. I am used to wide grip to the chest, but normally do chinups(supinated) when I do shoulder width. Pronated makes a huge difference since I am not used to them.
    Im out, its been fun

  2. #22
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    I've been working towards a muscle up for the last 4 months. I could only do 6 pull-ups max at the time and wasn't even close to being able to do the explosive beginning part of the muscle up. I slowly got up to being able to do 10 pull-ups (did 6 sets of 6 4-5 times a week for a few weeks). I've also been doing dips 4-5 times a week. I recently started doing pull-ups with 20 pounds extra and doing dips on a pull-up bar. Now I can do 17 deep dips and I just tried to max out on wide-grip pull-ups and did 15. I can finally do a really ugly muscle up now (left elbow goes up, right doesn't, then ugly dip).

    I've found that pushups and ab exercises have helped a lot too. I've been running 15-20 miles a week which has improved my core strength as well.

    Hopefully I'll be able to get a semi nice looking muscle-up in the next month.

  3. #23
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Used to do lots of pull-ups/chin-ups/hammer-grip pull-ups/wide-hammer-grip pull-ups back my last year in college. I'd pretty regularly gone to the gym and lifted since about 8th grade -- went 5-6 times a week some years during college -- but my last year of college I started doing yoga, and I was amazed at how much more I liked getting a full-body workout from yoga than isolating specific muscle groups once or twice a week -- something about lifting weights and the limited range of motions you go through just began to seem really stupid to me. So anyway, to supplement my strength/size -- cuz while yoga is phenomenal for core strength and full body strength, I'm already a pretty lean guy naturally, and yoga doesn't really build muscle mass, so much as get you really toned, lean, and flexible and make the muscle that you do have very... dense -- I threw up a pull up bar (with all four hand-grip variations) in my room, and started banging out sets of pull-ups and push-ups every day. I can't remember where I started, it was somewhere between 8 and 12 reps, and within a week or two, I was banging out sets of 12 on a pretty regular basis (combining that with sets of push-ups that started at 25, then moved up to 30, then 35, and eventually I was just doing them regularly enough that I had a good feel for what I should do, and I'd just kinda go with it -- sometimes doing a superset of 65-75, which I might follow up with a couple smaller sets of 35 or less over the next hour or two), and soon enough, probably within a month or two, I was easily banging out 5 sets of 12 and not really feeling properly worked out, so I started upping the reps and/or sets. The nice thing about push-ups and pull-ups is that, along with working out your biceps, triceps, forearms, delts, traps, lats, pecs, middle and lower back, abs, core, gluts, and more, you really don't have to even worry about getting injured. Experiment with whatever feels ok, and just do so until you get tired out. Eventually I got up to being able to do 30 solid pull-ups, at which point I was probably in the best shape of my life. I kinda let go of the workout after graduating, and started doing just straight yoga, but I've gotten back into it once before and it worked just as well, and I just recently started getting back into it again, and am up to 1-2 sets of 35 push-ups and 1-2 sets of 12 pull-ups every other day. I do yoga more now (about 3-4 times a week), so I do push-ups/pull-ups on the days I don't have yoga, and will probably keep my rep/set numbers down a bit lower than in college (when I only did yoga twice a week), cuz I've noticed if I do too much, I'm still a bit tired when I go to yoga and it affects my practice. I hope to get back up to about 3-5 sets of 15-18 pull-ups and 3-5 sets of 40-50 push-ups every other day without it affecting my yoga practice. If I can get somewhere within that range, I'll be happy. It's a bit funny to me how much people pay for gyms when throwing up a $50 pull-up bar, combined with push-ups (and crunches [which I don't do, as yoga's enough]), can supply you with most everything you need (other than that, just try to get some cardio, which, if you run, will work out your legs) -- I don't hate on it, cuz some people really know what what they're doing and take it seriously enough that they actually need a gym (or just want some place to go, I suppose), but, from my days in the gym, it always seemed like 90% of the people didn't know their ass from their hat.

    / the longest, most shallow post I've ever written on typeC

  4. #24
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Some great posts in here.

    Interesting to see other peoples' routines.

    I've never tried a weighted anything, but I could see it being especially useful for dips.

    I also had no idea what a muscle-up was until this thread, and am not 100% about hindu squats, flutter kicks, pistol squats, and manna.

    Question: when doing a muscle-up, is kipping (which I believe basically means having a bit of a swinging motion) more-or-less necessary?

    Also, when doing lunges, do you lunge one leg forward, then coming back to standing, then lunge the other forward?

    Or do you jump from one leg forward straight to the other leg forward?

    @Metamorphosis

  5. #25
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Some great posts in here.

    Interesting to see other peoples' routines.

    I've never tried a weighted anything, but I could see it being especially useful for dips.

    I also had no idea what a muscle-up was until this thread, and am not 100% about hindu squats, flutter kicks, pistol squats, and manna.

    Question: when doing a muscle-up, is kipping (which I believe basically means having a bit of a swinging motion) more-or-less necessary?

    Also, when doing lunges, do you lunge one leg forward, then coming back to standing, then lunge the other forward?

    Or do you jump from one leg forward straight to the other leg forward?

    @Metamorphosis
    You have to be reallllllly sick to do a muscle up with no kipping.

  6. #26
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,897

    Default

    Pull ups are difficult. At one point, I used to do 20 - 25 in a row - not half way - these are ones where your chin is above the bar. I never enjoyed it though. It was more about achieving and accomplishing something.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  7. #27
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    There are some new bars out that just flip into your doorframe, no screws or overhangs necessary.... one of my hallmates has one. It basically relies on pressure from either side to hold itself up, and it's really quite sturdy despite that obvious one-would-think weakness. Looks like a freakin' steel octopus though...
    Hmm. I'm not sure I know what you mean. Mine requires a ledge at the top of a doorway. A lot of doors have that, but unfortunately this thing seems to require rather specific dimensions. The way it works is that extensions to the side push against the sides of the door entrances, while there are bars that vertically curve onto a plaque that pushes against the section above the door on the opposite side. It's strength is not an issue, it's quite stable. But for one reason or another I live places where the door can't quite fit it. Here the wall inevitably causes one of the curved bars to be pushed down a bit, making it tilted and causing a very noticeably uneven work-out if I try it.

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    My current apartment has a sun room instead of a balcony so I have a computer desk on one side and my power tower(pullups/dips/leg raises/etc.) on the other side. Works out pretty good.
    Ohhh, you have one of those elaborate apparatuses.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Used to do lots of pull-ups/chin-ups/hammer-grip pull-ups/wide-hammer-grip pull-ups back my last year in college. I'd pretty regularly gone to the gym and lifted since about 8th grade -- went 5-6 times a week some years during college -- but my last year of college I started doing yoga, and I was amazed at how much more I liked getting a full-body workout from yoga than isolating specific muscle groups once or twice a week -- something about lifting weights and the limited range of motions you go through just began to seem really stupid to me. So anyway, to supplement my strength/size -- cuz while yoga is phenomenal for core strength and full body strength, I'm already a pretty lean guy naturally, and yoga doesn't really build muscle mass, so much as get you really toned, lean, and flexible and make the muscle that you do have very... dense -- I threw up a pull up bar (with all four hand-grip variations) in my room, and started banging out sets of pull-ups and push-ups every day. I can't remember where I started, it was somewhere between 8 and 12 reps, and within a week or two, I was banging out sets of 12 on a pretty regular basis (combining that with sets of push-ups that started at 25, then moved up to 30, then 35, and eventually I was just doing them regularly enough that I had a good feel for what I should do, and I'd just kinda go with it -- sometimes doing a superset of 65-75, which I might follow up with a couple smaller sets of 35 or less over the next hour or two), and soon enough, probably within a month or two, I was easily banging out 5 sets of 12 and not really feeling properly worked out, so I started upping the reps and/or sets. The nice thing about push-ups and pull-ups is that, along with working out your biceps, triceps, forearms, delts, traps, lats, pecs, middle and lower back, abs, core, gluts, and more, you really don't have to even worry about getting injured. Experiment with whatever feels ok, and just do so until you get tired out. Eventually I got up to being able to do 30 solid pull-ups, at which point I was probably in the best shape of my life. I kinda let go of the workout after graduating, and started doing just straight yoga, but I've gotten back into it once before and it worked just as well, and I just recently started getting back into it again, and am up to 1-2 sets of 35 push-ups and 1-2 sets of 12 pull-ups every other day. I do yoga more now (about 3-4 times a week), so I do push-ups/pull-ups on the days I don't have yoga, and will probably keep my rep/set numbers down a bit lower than in college (when I only did yoga twice a week), cuz I've noticed if I do too much, I'm still a bit tired when I go to yoga and it affects my practice. I hope to get back up to about 3-5 sets of 15-18 pull-ups and 3-5 sets of 40-50 push-ups every other day without it affecting my yoga practice. If I can get somewhere within that range, I'll be happy. It's a bit funny to me how much people pay for gyms when throwing up a $50 pull-up bar, combined with push-ups (and crunches [which I don't do, as yoga's enough]), can supply you with most everything you need (other than that, just try to get some cardio, which, if you run, will work out your legs) -- I don't hate on it, cuz some people really know what what they're doing and take it seriously enough that they actually need a gym (or just want some place to go, I suppose), but, from my days in the gym, it always seemed like 90% of the people didn't know their ass from their hat.

    / the longest, most shallow post I've ever written on typeC
    Good, because I cant read that. All I see are numbers scattered here and there. Good job, I guess.



    Back to Muscle ups. Currently I am just working on more explosive pullups 4-5 times a day. I only do betwen 5-7 reps each time, but I attempt to pull myself as high as I can. I stop once I cant get my chin above the bar. Current progress is to the bottom of my chest leaning back some. onna start working on the negatives soon..from the top part of a muscle up to a slow hang.
    Im out, its been fun

  9. #29
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Good, because I cant read that. All I see are numbers scattered here and there. Good job, I guess.


    Do you have a problem?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post


    Do you have a problem?
    I have lots of problems...some call them mental issues, but i try not to judge myself either
    Im out, its been fun

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM
  2. Clearing Up The J/P Myth
    By "?" in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
  3. The Great Blog Transplant - Sign up now!
    By cafe in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
  4. Bail up!
    By Bushranger in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO