What to do?

A window to the soul

Well, how fat are we talkin?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I should have a 37 inch waist, so the government ads say, I've got a 42 inch waist I think.

Do you exercise a lot? If not, that might be your best bet to lose weight and still enjoy the food you like. After trying a bunch of different methods, I've found success by loading up on vegetables and fruit early in the day so that I'm not hungry later on when I most want to eat poorly. I'm normally not hungry for anything until midafternoon, but by forcing myself to eat well in the morning, I delay and dilute Ravenous Effem that emerges at dinnertime.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

If you also love soda and/or other sugary drinks, quitting that is a good start. Most people don't realize how many calories they get from drinks.

I'm personally a fan of paleo or ketogenic diets because it seems easier to eat tasty food, but all it really comes down to is ingesting a low enough amount of calories.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the man, who loves the biggest loser, bought their book 6 weeks to a healthier you and has been sticking to the diet prescribed by it (and exercise)... he's lost quite a bit of weight and the diet involves A LOT of food... and it's actually surprisingly tasty as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, you could stuff your face with all the food you love and wash it down with a whole bottle of vodka. That way you can enjoy the taste of your favorite food one last time (going in both directions) before you completely lose your appetite for it.

Then just eat salad afterwards.

And if you drink pop, switching to diet pop (if you haven't already) can help you lose weight really quick. It tastes funny at first but you get used to it, and then regular pop tastes like syrup.

Sure aspartame causes brain damage, saccharin causes cancer, but wouldn't you rather have that than the fatness that sugar causes?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

well if you love good healthy stuffs...i see no issue...otherwise...learn to.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

violaine

You have to trick yourself a little. Make yourself fill up on healthily prepared vegetables, fruit, wholegrains etc first before you allow yourself to eat what your tastebuds crave. I think it's helpful to remember that we often allow mouth hunger, i.e. the way food tastes and feels, to dominate our appetite. If you wait until you are really hungry before you eat, you're more likely to eat food that your mouth craves.

Another tip is to make sure you don't have your home stocked with food that you know you shouldn't be eating. It helps to shop when you are full rather than when you are hungry. Cut the temptation off at the root by not buying tempting but unhealthy food. IMO, it's just about developing healthy patterns and the results will follow. I don't think it's advisable to diet strictly unless you are at immediate risk for health problems. Better to be moderate and introduce change gradually.

I second finding an exercise you enjoy and to do that first thing in the morning. It will set you up for a day where you are ahead of the game right away and your motivation is flowing in a healthy direction, rather than having a day that feels like a battle of wills between your healthy intentions and your unhealthy cravings.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I used a 400 calorie per meal guideline to help me lose and maintain. I also get 3-4 days worth of exercise (treadmill and weights). This worked very well for me and I also kept an eye on the carbs. Men will need a little more but not if you are sedentary. I actually bought the 400 calorie fix book and the cookbook but there is plenty online for free.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/400-calorie-fix/
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.