User Tag List

123 Last

Anew Leaf

Default Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead - Documentary of Awesomeness

I watched a documentary this week called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead."

Has anyone else seen it? I highly recommend it to anyone. It was informative, funny, insightful, and tear inspiring.

To sum it up, the author was extremely overweight and was fighting an autoimmune disease that was akin to chronic hives. He took 60 days and went to the US (he's an Aussie so swoon worthy accents ahoy!) and consumed nothing but veggies/fruits run through a juicer machine. He started at 330 lbs (or thereabouts) and lost almost 80 lbs in the 60 days. He went from taking a slew of pills each day to not needing to take a single pill by the end.

The most amazing part was that he randomly met a truckdriver in Arizona who was heavily overweight and had the same condition that he did. That guy tried the juicing diet for 10 days, then extended it to 30 days, and then went the full 60 days. He lost around 90 lbs in those 60 days, and at the end of 9 months had lost a total of 220 lbs. (He started at 429.)

The truckdriver in turn inspired his brother to get healthier and started a community event around it as well.

So in that spirit, and also because New Years is peeking around the corner... I thought I would share this documentary with you all here.

Has anyone tried a diet like this? Or known someone who has?

I was already planning some kind of detoxifying diet to start the year, and now I am going to modify it slightly to be more like what this guy did. I have a Vitamix blender and so I am going to do the juicing idea but with the whole veggie/fruit instead and try that out. 3 meals a day for 10 days... We shall see what happens!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

If I had a juicer, I'd be willing to try that...How much do juicers cost?

MBTI
    yupp

netflix has been reccomending me this documentary so maybe I'll watch it today or tomorrow
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    If I had a juicer, I'd be willing to try that...How much do juicers cost?
    I think juicers range from $100-500 depending on features and brand, etc. With the new year, there is a good chance you could get one on sale.

If you have a blender, that could work too. Pure juicing works best for those who are really sick, overweight, having problems, etc. You lose all of the fiber when you juice, which is beneficial for keeping blood sugar down. If you plan to juice and have any blood sugar issues, I would suggest adding in some fiber via ground flax seed (store in freezer).

if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. . (this goes for anyone!)

I've heard about this documentary and I'm curious about it. Almost all the available research says that juicing isn't as healthy as simply eating the produce you would juice, but I'm a big believer that everyone's body is different and that not every problem or solution is universal. The results these guys got are enough to make me want to watch.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I watched this last week, and I was intrigued, as well. I really, really, really wish I had a Vitamix. I would use the crap out of that thing and I would definitely try a juice fast. It definitely seemed to do a lot of good for both those guys.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Going to watch this tonight. Will report back.

Initial thoughts: I'm a huge fan of blending vegetable and fruit smoothies--as I dont mind the chunky-like nature of consuming the entire vegetable in a more liquid-like state..

Edit:

thoughts on the movie: This was an amazing story, either way. I couldn't help but get all sniffly seeing Phil in his yellow shirt running. Seeing people motivated... I don't think there's anything quite like it.

I think it is definitely something worth looking into.. I'll have to meditate on this.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

probably not going to watch it today or tomorrow just haven't been in a movie watching mood, been in a listen to pandora mood actually i want to do a crossword
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtP

I tend to think that it's got nothing much to do with "juicing" -- although there's certainly nothing wrong with drinking your fruits and veggies . It's probably much more about a massive change in diet instead -- no processed foods, fast foods, super-fatty stuff, and especially less caloric intake overall. Although I'd be a bit worried at the rate of weight loss those statistics mention... losing a pound a day just does *not* seem healthy at all. If anything, the juicer is something that just encourages eating better quality foods overall:

Juicing carrots and apples - "hmm, that sounds kinda good, maybe I should try that!"
    Juicing a Big Mac - "oh dear lord, that's disgusting! *gag*"

Result: More carrots, fewer Big Macs = weight loss (and an overall healthier diet).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I tend to think that it's got nothing much to do with "juicing" -- although there's certainly nothing wrong with drinking your fruits and veggies . It's probably much more about a massive change in diet instead -- no processed foods, fast foods, super-fatty stuff, and especially less caloric intake overall. Although I'd be a bit worried at the rate of weight loss those statistics mention... losing a pound a day just does *not* seem healthy at all. If anything, the juicer is something that just encourages eating better quality foods overall:

Juicing carrots and apples - "hmm, that sounds kinda good, maybe I should try that!"
    Juicing a Big Mac - "oh dear lord, that's disgusting! *gag*"

Result: More carrots, fewer Big Macs = weight loss (and an overall healthier diet).
    I see what you are saying, and there is definitely truth in all of this.

The beauty of juicing is that it breaks the food down in a manner that we can't accomplish via chewing or digesting. The nutrients are easier for the body to absorb, and you get more of them. I was very surprised when I was researching the art and science of juicing to discover how different the nutrient content is in eating a whole tomato versus eating the juice of a tomato versus having it blended down.

and in regards to the weight loss. I agree that it seems like a very unhealthy amount in such a short amount of time. The guy who made the documentary and the guy he helped both got checked out by doctors on a regular basis throughout the process. I think that because they were so heavily overweight (the one guy was 429), that it sounds insane to lose 220 lbs in 12 months, but it is much different than someone who is starting at a lower weight, say 250 and losing half their body weight in that same time frame. Both men also had their blood tested often to check cholesterol, blood sugar levels, etc.

@ the juicing of a Big Mac!