User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 52

  1. #21
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I have friends that employ their own juice fast habitually for a long weekend every 3-6 months just to keep their body on track. They said it helps maintain their weight loss (both having been very overweight at one point in their lives) and keeps them feeling "fresh". I've been implored to give it a shot. I'm thinking of trying a mini juice fast to see how I feel before taking on any big challenges.
    This sounds like a great idea, iwakar! I have been doing mine for the past 9 days and I feel great. I have loads of energy and I feel lighter/not sluggish.

    Only one more day to go for me. I am doing a mini one of 10 days.

  2. #22
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    This sounds like a great idea, iwakar! I have been doing mine for the past 9 days and I feel great. I have loads of energy and I feel lighter/not sluggish.

    Only one more day to go for me. I am doing a mini one of 10 days.
    We need details!
    Something Witty

  3. #23
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I see what you are saying, and there is definitely truth in all of this.

    The beauty of juicing is that it breaks the food down in a manner that we can't accomplish via chewing or digesting. The nutrients are easier for the body to absorb, and you get more of them. I was very surprised when I was researching the art and science of juicing to discover how different the nutrient content is in eating a whole tomato versus eating the juice of a tomato versus having it blended down.
    Assuming that is actually scientifically proven for the time being, is there a measured benefit to "more nutrients" past a certain point? I mean, if you're eating a ton of varied, whole fruits and vegetables every day, I find it very unlikely that you're lacking any nutrients. I'd imagine you'd be eating much more than the (admittedly low) minumum requirements. I'm sceptical that even doubling that would have any real impact.

    For example most (non-fat soluble) vitamins are just released in the urine if you eat too many, and the ones that aren't are generally harmful in extremely high doses...
    -end of thread-

  4. #24
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Assuming that is actually scientifically proven for the time being, is there a measured benefit to "more nutrients" past a certain point? I mean, if you're eating a ton of varied, whole fruits and vegetables every day, I find it very unlikely that you're lacking any nutrients. I'd imagine you'd be eating much more than the (admittedly low) minumum requirements. I'm sceptical that even doubling that would have any real impact.

    For example most (non-fat soluble) vitamins are just released in the urine if you eat too many, and the ones that aren't are generally harmful in extremely high doses...
    Well, if you have been eating junk food for years, you are overdue for having MORE than enough nutrients. You never absorb 100% of what you eat, so having more than enough nutrients ensures that you will be getting everything you need over all of the foods. Versus, if you break down exactly what you need to eat and only eat that... you are still lacking a percentage of what you consume.

    In regards more specifically to what you are quoting there from me, it is easier for the body to absorb nutrients if they are in smaller forms. For example, twigs and grass have a lot of fiber in them, but your body can't break them down so they just pass through the system were you to eat them. The same is true if you eat flax seeds whole. Yeah, you can chew them a bit and break them down that way, but the odds are pretty high that they will pass relatively undisturbed into the toilet. Grind up the flax seed into a finer powder form, and your body has a better chance of actually getting the nutrients from it.

    Does this make sense? I am sort of rushed posting at work trying to avoid some customers who are driving me insane.

  5. #25
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    We need details!
    My new Ice Drops and Plum Vision blog has some details. I will write up a more detailed wrap up post tomorrow when the 10 days are up.

  6. #26
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Well, if you have been eating junk food for years, you are overdue for having MORE than enough nutrients. You never absorb 100% of what you eat, so having more than enough nutrients ensures that you will be getting everything you need over all of the foods. Versus, if you break down exactly what you need to eat and only eat that... you are still lacking a percentage of what you consume.

    In regards more specifically to what you are quoting there from me, it is easier for the body to absorb nutrients if they are in smaller forms. For example, twigs and grass have a lot of fiber in them, but your body can't break them down so they just pass through the system were you to eat them. The same is true if you eat flax seeds whole. Yeah, you can chew them a bit and break them down that way, but the odds are pretty high that they will pass relatively undisturbed into the toilet. Grind up the flax seed into a finer powder form, and your body has a better chance of actually getting the nutrients from it.

    Does this make sense? I am sort of rushed posting at work trying to avoid some customers who are driving me insane.
    My point was more that if you eat the same number of fruits and veg whole as you are juiced, you have WAY more nutrients than "if you break down exactly what you need to eat and only eat that", let alone a diet full of junk food etc (and even that has some nutrients). If you're eating mostly fruits and vegetables regardless of preparation you're getting tons of vitamins and so on - not convinced there's any benefit to having 5000% of the recommended level rather than 4000%. With whole veg you'd also feel a lot more full, won't have as much of a sugar spike, and it'd be way more tasty.

    There are also some fruits and vegetables that are counterintuitively more nutritious when cooked.
    -end of thread-

  7. #27
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My point was more that if you eat the same number of fruits and veg whole as you are juiced, you have WAY more nutrients than "if you break down exactly what you need to eat and only eat that", let alone a diet full of junk food etc (and even that has some nutrients). If you're eating mostly fruits and vegetables regardless of preparation you're getting tons of vitamins and so on - not convinced there's any benefit to having 5000% of the recommended level rather than 4000%. With whole veg you'd also feel a lot more full, won't have as much of a sugar spike, and it'd be way more tasty.

    There are also some fruits and vegetables that are counterintuitively more nutritious when cooked.
    Well, as I stated in this post here:
    If someone wanted to juice over making smoothies then they should be supplementing their fiber somehow. (juicing here is taking just the juice of the fruits and veggies versus blending the foods whole in a smoothie.). I have been doing more of a smoothie fast so I am getting all of the fiber from the foods, plus I add ground flax seed in.

    I think doing just a straight juicing fast is best for those who are really sick, overweight, etc. I've seen some studies done with cancer patients who's bodies can't process high fiber, but they respond extremely well to simply juicing.
    If you blend the whole food you get all of the fiber and other nutrients. It still is easier for your body to break it down in a liquid state versus chewing/digesting.

    I am not sure how much clearer I can be on this topic other than what I have been here.

  8. #28
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Well, as I stated in this post here:


    If you blend the whole food you get all of the fiber and other nutrients. It still is easier for your body to break it down in a liquid state versus chewing/digesting.

    I am not sure how much clearer I can be on this topic other than what I have been here.
    To be clear, I'm not arguing that point at all, since I haven't done any research on it. My point is that I think the extra nutrients are irrelevant for your health compared to the levels you would be ingesting with a diet of mostly whole fruits and vegetables...even if the levels are higher it could be (is likely to be) completely meaningless from a biological perspective.

    I'm not aware of any studies that have reliably tested the logic that "if one orange is good for you, 17 oranges must be better for you!"
    -end of thread-

  9. #29
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    To be clear, I'm not arguing that point at all, since I haven't done any research on it. My point is that I think the extra nutrients are irrelevant for your health compared to the levels you would be ingesting with a diet of mostly whole fruits and vegetables...even if the levels are higher it could be (is likely to be) completely meaningless from a biological perspective.

    I'm not aware of any studies that have reliably tested the logic that "if one orange is good for you, 17 oranges must be better for you!"
    If you haven't done any research on what the extra nutrients are doing or not doing, then why bother nitpicking me?

    I started this thread to talk about a cool documentary I saw, that's it.

  10. #30
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I don't know why you aren't understanding. I'm saying something completely different from what you're replying to. nevermind then, carry on.......
    -end of thread-

Similar Threads

  1. Sick and tired of being sick and tired
    By UniqueMixture in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  2. list of functions in order of awesomeness
    By Prometheus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
  3. Heuristics and Biases:The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 02:55 AM
  4. Replies: 75
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO