User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Phil Staples (the former truck driver) provided his Mean Green Juice recipe to a local paper. I paused the video and found the details online. Here it is for the curious:

Mean Green Juice Recipe

1 cucumber

1 good bunch of Kale

4 celery stalks

1/2 lemon (rind on ok)

one small knob (about ½ inch or less) of ginger root

2 granny smith apples (gala is good too)
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I think juicers range from $100-500 depending on features and brand, etc. With the new year, there is a good chance you could get one on sale.

If you have a blender, that could work too. Pure juicing works best for those who are really sick, overweight, having problems, etc. You lose all of the fiber when you juice, which is beneficial for keeping blood sugar down. If you plan to juice and have any blood sugar issues, I would suggest adding in some fiber via ground flax seed (store in freezer).

if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. . (this goes for anyone!)
    I'm confused, because you need fiber. So how do you get it if you juice? Suppliment yout diet with oatmeal, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I'm confused, because you need fiber. So how do you get it if you juice? Suppliment yout diet with oatmeal, etc?
    According to Wikipedia's link on juice fasting:
    Because pure juice contains little to no fiber, juice fasters often use an enema or a herbal or saltwater laxative during the time of fasting to efficiently expel waste from the intestines and colon. Another method is mixing psyllium husks in with the juice. Because psyllium is not absorbed by the body but increases in volume greatly upon absorbing water, it creates the bulk necessary to keep the bowels moving.
    Does fiber benefit us internally for reasons other than passing bowel movements? If not, this would suffice.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post

Does fiber benefit us internally for reasons other than passing bowel movements? If not, this would suffice.

I don't know. I think I would just eat some fibrous stuff, or eat the pulp too instead of just the juice.

Anew Leaf

If someone wanted to juice over making smoothies then they should be supplementing their fiber somehow. (juicing here is taking just the juice of the fruits and veggies versus blending the foods whole in a smoothie.). I have been doing more of a smoothie fast so I am getting all of the fiber from the foods, plus I add ground flax seed in.

I think doing just a straight juicing fast is best for those who are really sick, overweight, etc. I've seen some studies done with cancer patients who's bodies can't process high fiber, but they respond extremely well to simply juicing.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post

Fiber also helps regulate blood sugar levels. If someone has issues with their blood sugar, they will have more problems drinking a cup of orange juice versus eating an orange. It also helps make you feel fuller faster.

I don't know. I think I would just eat some fibrous stuff, or eat the pulp too instead of just the juice.
    Yeah, I think that is best too. Consuming the whole food is better than just one part. Having said that, you get more nutrients from the food if you break it down with a blender.

Permabanned

I watched a documentary this week called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead."

He started at 330 lbs (or thereabouts) and lost almost 80 lbs in the 60 days.

The truckdriver in turn inspired his brother to get healthier and started a community event around it as well.

So in that spirit, and also because New Years is peeking around the corner... I thought I would share this documentary with you all here.

Has anyone tried a diet like this? Or known someone who has?
    I honestly think losing too much weight too fast is terrible on the body the cut the carbs and juicing thing sounds horrible there's no need to starve yourself. Best thing to do is to gradually cut the garbage you eat that contrains too much fat, and to some degree sugar and carbs. If you plan on losing weight give yourself a solid 6 months I'd say.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Fiber feeds your gut bacteria, I know that. Otherwise I have no comment (haven't watched the documentary)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I honestly think losing too much weight too fast is terrible on the body the cut the carbs and juicing thing sounds horrible there's no need to starve yourself. Best thing to do is to gradually cut the garbage you eat that contrains too much fat, and to some degree sugar and carbs. If you plan on losing weight give yourself a solid 6 months I'd say.
    I get what you are saying, however, they weren't starving themselves. They also both regularly checked in with their doctor to monitor various blood thingy levels. I think this kind of extreme measure is only viable when the person is extremely overweight and sick. From what I saw on the documentary, they both were doing some light exercise while being on the juice diet.

Permabanned

I get what you are saying, however, they weren't starving themselves. They also both regularly checked in with their doctor to monitor various blood thingy levels. I think this kind of extreme measure is only viable when the person is extremely overweight and sick. From what I saw on the documentary, they both were doing some light exercise while being on the juice diet.
    I just think the change in the body is too drastic although I would agree with it if your sick and have no other choice. There are alot of pro MMA fighters who constantly keep cutting to make their weight class and it has proven to be unhealthy.

I have friends that employ their own juice fast habitually for a long weekend every 3-6 months just to keep their body on track. They said it helps maintain their weight loss (both having been very overweight at one point in their lives) and keeps them feeling "fresh". I've been implored to give it a shot. I'm thinking of trying a mini juice fast to see how I feel before taking on any big challenges.