User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Germophobes.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Germophobes.

Do you do anything that's germophobic?

I can't really think of anything that I do that avoids germs except wash my hands after I utilize the latrine and sneeze into my sleeve/arm instead of my hands. I'm not talking regular, common sense things like that.

I see tips in magazines and things all the time that irritate me.

Things like, "Keep that pair of paper-shoes you get from your next pedicure! That way, when you fly, you can keep on your shoes instead of walking on the floor barefoot! "

Really?!!

My mother is constantly worried about the kids touching dirty things and such, but I don't really see a problem with half of the things she yells about. I don't keep hand sanitizer on me or anything like that.. my excuse for eating things after shopping, or driving, or touching anything is, "Something in Iraq I ate was probably worse, I'll be fine."

Do you keep wipes on you, or use the sani-wipes at the grocery store for your cart?
    Do you refuse to touch sink handles after washing your hands, or the door knobs for that matter?
    Refuse to use public toilets?
    Refuse to flush a public toilet with your hand? (where you kick your foot up to hit the flush button... )
    Do you Lysol everything in your house?
    Are you not particularly picky about yourself, but your kids sort of lived in a sanitary bubble when you had them?
    Won't go to buffets because you've watched nasty shows before that showed them being nasty?
    Anything I'm missing?

So let's hear your germ-avoiding habits.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

No germ avoiding nonsense here. Probably only the so called "common sense" ones is where I keep myself clean.

I only really bring hand sanitizers with me when I am sick (after all, I am coughing... and well, me spreading it to other people and all.)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Do you do anything that's germophobic?
    Other than walk around in a full body condom, and purify everything I touch by UV sterilization, nahhh. Not really.

I can't really think of anything that I do that avoids germs except wash my hands after I utilize the latrine and sneeze into my sleeve/arm instead of my hands. I'm not talking regular, common sense things like that.
    God gave us immune systems, so no need for paranoia, but common sense never hurts, as you said.

I see tips in magazines and things all the time that irritate me.
    Which magazine?

Things like, "Keep that pair of paper-shoes you get from your next pedicure! That way, when you fly, you can keep on your shoes instead of walking on the floor barefoot! "
    BRRrgaaarr-LuuuRRRppp!!!!! <vomits!!!>

:boring: Really?!!
    Yup! Me after that remark IRL conversation-->

My mother is constantly worried about the kids touching dirty things and such, but I don't really see a problem with half of the things she yells about. I don't keep hand sanitizer on me or anything like that.. my excuse for eating things after shopping, or driving, or touching anything is, "Something in Iraq I ate was probably worse, I'll be fine."
    If I summarize the above quoted text I come up with:

"Warfare is an effective cure for hypochondriasis."

Do you keep wipes on you, or use the sani-wipes at the grocery store for your cart?
    Nope!

Do you refuse to touch sink handles after washing your hands, or the door knobs for that matter?
    Nope, but I do twist the knobs with my pinkies if I can.

Hell no. I find the cleanest public toilet I can if I do have to use one, but if you gotaa' go, you gotaa' go!

Refuse to flush a public toilet with your hand? (where you kick your foot up to hit the flush button... )
    Nope, but I flush the toilet with my pinkie, and flush the urinal with the bottom of my fist.
    It takes no extra effort, and I'm not a foot flusher, so I get a waiver on being germ paranoid for that, right?

Nope, just the cat box from time to time.

Are you not particularly picky about yourself, but your kids sort of lived in a sanitary bubble when you had them?
    Nope. My kids are normal kids. Energetic, extremely talkative, and dirty from playing like crazy outside or at school.

Won't go to buffets because you've watched nasty shows before that showed them being nasty?
    I buffets.

Anything I'm missing?
    I think your list is pretty comprehensive.

So let's hear your germ-avoiding habits.
    I don't go to filthy places, and I don't hang out with filthy people, so that takes care of all reasonable germ avoidance measures in my book.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Not unless there is something visible on it.

No but I have been known to use a paper towel.

No

No. I'm going to wash my hands in a few seconds anyway.

No.

I have two sons. They were a mess when they were little and I could have chased them around all day long and they wouldn't have stayed clean. Baths every night was the best it was getting most days.

I'm not real excited about buffets but that goddamn Szechuan chicken at the Chinese place always sucks me in.

Anything I'm missing?

So let's hear your germ-avoiding habits
    Mostly just normal common sense stuff. Don't sneeze and cough on people. Wash hands when handling food and after the bathroom. I do love my floor steam cleaner though.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Smile Hand Washing

I have found a cheap and easy way to avoid illness.

I wash my hands after using the keyboard and before eating.

And not only do I avoid illness, my hands are smooth and fresh and warm.

I have noticed though that hand washing is now compulsory for everyone working in the local hospital. So I guess they have discovered how to avoid illness too, and how to have smooth, warm and fresh hands.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Other than walk around in a full body condom, and purify everything I touch by UV sterilization, nahhh. Not really.

Which magazine?
    There was a particular article in playgirlGood Housekeeping I was reading.

It takes no extra effort, and I'm not a foot flusher, so I get a waiver on being germ paranoid for that, right?
    Hmm.. I dunnooo.. ... Okay it can slide. *smells flowers greedily!*

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I have two sons. They were a mess when they were little and I could have chased them around all day long and they wouldn't have stayed clean. Baths every night was the best it was getting most days.
    I have two nephews in my house always... This is the same thing I feel. "As long as they aren't eating poo and taking a bath they'll be fine!"

I do love my floor steam cleaner though.
    does it count if I just use it because I love the way steam smells?...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

does it count if I just use it because I love the way steam smells?...
    I love that too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I probably should be more germphobic, maybe I would get fewer colds. I'm probably the least germ-conscious person I know. I eat food after it's been sitting out all night, fallen on the floor, etc. I don't let dogs lick my mouth though, that's gross. One of the very few non-"obvious" (although it should be obvious! dogs eat poop!) things I avoid for "germ" reasons.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No

Sometimes, if possible, I'll put a paper towel in my hands and use the paper towel to touch the bathroom doorknob or sink handle. I've read about how germy these things are because lots of people *don't* wash their hands after going to the bathroom or don't wash them well enough. Touching one of these things kind of negates washing your hands in the first place.

Usually no, unless the toilet stall looks really dirty.

No because I'm going to wash my hands right afterwards

No

I've never had kids

No, but I know people like this.

Anything I'm missing?

I've read that the computer keyboard is one of the germiest surfaces, so I'm kinda anal about keeping it clean and using sanitizer or washing hands thoroughly after using someone elses.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Only for my butt.
    I'll try not to. In fact, if the bathroom door is not a non-latch push to exit door so I can use my shoulder/elbow to get out I consider it a design flaw.
    No issues, but hesitant.
    I use my feet.
    HA. No.
    No.

Other than the bathroom habits, I'd say I'm rather carefree when it comes to germs. Always went barefoot in the dorm showers; don't worry about sharing glasses, cups or utensils; eat old food, etc.