User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Germophobes.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Admittedly this is my main area of ocd-ness. However it's really only when I'm out and about in pubilc places, and I'm not preoccupied with keeping my own place (my cubicle, my apartment) sanitized. Basically I know how unsanitary a lot of people are out there, and if they're touching everything that I have to touch, I don't want to get whatever nastiness they left on a surface. I figure my spaces are fine, as I'm generally clean, so I don't have a need to keep it uber-sanitized using crazy chemicals, seeing as if I'm the only person using it it should be fine.

And, I rarely get sick, so I feel like there's something to my habits.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Things like, "Keep that pair of paper-shoes you get from your next pedicure! That way, when you fly, you can keep on your shoes instead of walking on the floor barefoot! "
    It's true I won't walk barefoot in public places. I think this thing developed when I got a wart on my foot growing up, and I had concluded I'd gotten it in a hotel room/bathtub.

Do you keep wipes on you, or use the sani-wipes at the grocery store for your cart?
    I don't bother with using wipes in stores, but after I'm done being out and about, shopping, etc, I often wash my hands or use sanitizer.

Do you refuse to touch sink handles after washing your hands, or the door knobs for that matter?
    I use the back of my hand (pinky finger side) to turn the faucet off, and use a paper towel for door knobs.

Refuse to use public toilets?
    No, I'm fine using them, and have been in a multitude of not-very-well-kept public toilets overseas, and have seen and used tons of latrines/outhouses while hiking. I've also gone on multi-day camping trips where I've just had to dig a hole. I'm fine with that stuff -- I just have a thing about keeping my hands clean and not actually touching public surfaces with my skin if I'm able to avoid it.

Refuse to flush a public toilet with your hand? (where you kick your foot up to hit the flush button... )
    I use my foot; at this point that's probably more habit/laziness, though.

Do you Lysol everything in your house?
    No, I've never used lysol. Just soap and water if I'm cleaning counters.

Are you not particularly picky about yourself, but your kids sort of lived in a sanitary bubble when you had them?
    No kids, but if I had them, no, they wouldn't live in a sanitary bubble and I wouldn't start using lysol or anything like that. I don't want them to in consequence get lousy immune systems or allergies once they're out in the actual world. Plus, there's no point in trying to keep them 'clean', as kids crawl around on the ground and all of that. Basically if I had kids I'd have to adjust my own 'norms'/ definitions of what's ok.

Won't go to buffets because you've watched nasty shows before that showed them being nasty?
    Nah, I'll go to buffets. However not the really shady ones (i.e. many chinese ones) because I've gotten upset stomachs on more than one occasion from them - I don't blame it on germs with the buffet itself though (utensils, surfaces, etc) - more bad food prep.

---

Also: I definitely get an internal EWwww factor when it comes to hotel rooms / specifically bed covers/blankets, as I know in most places they don't wash those. AND, I know what people do on them. But, it's not gonna kill me, so I just suck it up.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I eat food after it's been sitting out all night, fallen on the floor, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Always went barefoot in the dorm showers; don't worry about sharing glasses, cups or utensils...
    *falls on floor dead*

I was questioning if I had any germophobe tendencies, but after reading these I know I do for sure.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    *falls on floor dead*

I was questioning if I had any germophobe tendencies, but after reading these I know I do for sure.
    I'm not a good example of a normal person to compare to, lol. I was raised to not be picky - my dad will eat actually visibly moldy food that isn't cheese. I don't go that far, but that background makes me approach things with an attitude of "if it looks, smells and tastes fine, it's probably fine, and worst case I get an upset stomach" (and I've never gotten food poisoning other than once, and that was most likely from restaurant food). I probably shouldn't eat food off my floor since I have a cat, but I can't bring myself to care about it all that much, and it's never caused any problems that I know of.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

^I just can not eat off the floor. I wear slippers in my house at all times and used to wash my clothing a lot... Who knows what I've brought in there from public places?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Actually, the immune system needs exercise, just like our other systems. If we try to insulate it from all germs, viruses, etc. it will have a harder time fending off the ones that get through. This is the principle behind immunizations.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Actually, the immune system needs exercise, just like our other systems. If we try to insulate it from all germs, viruses, etc. it will have a harder time fending off the ones that get through. This is the principle behind immunizations.
    The is also the principle behind my foul bachelor frog lifestyle.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    My immune system gets enough exercise just being out in the world on a daily basis. People are not sanitary and they wish to make me a victim of it... I'm pretty sure I got a super sore throat and headache from the bus I rode yesterday.

This actually isn't a bad idea if you then scrub the fork with Ajax, rinse it off, wash it with dishwashing liquid then rinse that off with cold water.

the keyboard is the only thing i worry about.
    which doesn't help, because worrying doesn't kill the fungus and bacteria.
    so i clean my keyboard with my hands and discard the micro-life onto my face.

insight into evolutionary principles is relevant to hygiene too.

killing micro-life with chemicals kills the more complex life forms first, which results in overpopulation of more primitive and more aggressive life forms. what you want is a healthy eccosystem, where the /right/ complex forms take care of the problematic primitive forms. those eccosystems are commercially availabe, in liquid form. they are used in places like wine-cellars. but this thing isn't achieved easily by an amateur who can't take probes for analysis/diagnosis. if such a living liquid mix is exposed to the wrong temperature it can go really bad, before you open the bottle.

it's so much easier to go all holocaust on them with chemicals that are toxic to micro-life and us!
    or just leave them alone.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I eat food after it's been sitting out all night, fallen on the floor, etc. I don't let dogs lick my mouth though, that's gross. One of the very few non-"obvious" (although it should be obvious! dogs eat poop!) things I avoid for "germ" reasons.
    I'd frequently let my dog eat off of my fork--not actually touch the fork, but i'd stab long-shaped food on the end of it and let her bite the other end and pull it off. She had quite the table manners. I know it's suppose to be gross and awful, but I never had a problem with it. My mom hated it, it made her skin crawl just having the dog's mouth near my utensil.

I eat food off the floor too--depending on what it is.. A chip? I let it go, I have a whole bag... A sandwich I literally JUST got done making for the past 5 minutes? >.> ... I can't let that effort go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I've read that the computer keyboard is one of the germiest surfaces, so I'm kinda anal about keeping it clean and using sanitizer or washing hands thoroughly after using someone elses.
    @_@ I never really think about my keyboard.. I'll bet this thing is awfully filthy by now.

I use my feet. [to flush public toilets]
    NOOO!!

This is the worst!! The MOST germ-infested thing in latrines are the ground! You're setting up all the children, elderly, etc... that can't kick their feet up to flush for failure.

Always went barefoot in the dorm showers; don't worry about sharing glasses, cups or utensils; eat old food, etc.
    I walk around barefoot in hotel rooms, and sometimes outside..But usually I have shoes on for everything else.. I have house shoes, and I have showering shoes for army showers, but that's pretty much mandatory there.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Also: I definitely get an internal EWwww factor when it comes to hotel rooms / specifically bed covers/blankets, as I know in most places they don't wash those. AND, I know what people do on them. But, it's not gonna kill me, so I just suck it up.
    Yeah, if it's a real ritzy place, I'll feel a bit safer.. but those $30 a night places? I just crawl into my bed and remember that scene from family guy with all the animals on the bed under the black light.... (In a random bit of information, why is that picture no where on the internet??)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    *falls on floor dead*

I'm not a good example of a normal person to compare to, lol. I was raised to not be picky - my dad will eat actually visibly moldy food that isn't cheese. I don't go that far, but that background makes me approach things with an attitude of "if it looks, smells and tastes fine, it's probably fine, and worst case I get an upset stomach" (and I've never gotten food poisoning other than once, and that was most likely from restaurant food). I probably shouldn't eat food off my floor since I have a cat, but I can't bring myself to care about it all that much, and it's never caused any problems that I know of.
    We just cut the mold off of the block cheese...

I do this with cups too...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Do you keep wipes on you, or use the sani-wipes at the grocery store for your cart?
    No. Sometimes.

Do you refuse to touch sink handles after washing your hands, or the door knobs for that matter?
    Yes, I use paper towels. Public sinks and doors are nasty.

Refuse to use public toilets?
    No.

Refuse to flush a public toilet with your hand? (where you kick your foot up to hit the flush button... )
    Sometimes. Depends on how dirty things are.

Do you Lysol everything in your house?
    Just the bathroom and sometimes my desk.

Are you not particularly picky about yourself, but your kids sort of lived in a sanitary bubble when you had them?
    No, I just wince a lot when I see her doing gross things. Good for the immune system.

Won't go to buffets because you've watched nasty shows before that showed them being nasty?
    Nope. I love sushi buffets too.