User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default Caffeine Withdrawl

I'm supposed to give up on caffeine consumption according to my doctor (a different one than the idiot who is good at mixing up charts!). Of course, I tend to drink something like 12 cups of coffee a day at minimum, so this is absolute hell- no matter what I do I have a horrible headache and waking up in the morning takes signifigantly more time than I'd prefer for it to

Anyone have any tips on how to make this any easier? It would be greatly appreciated!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Can you switch to tea (whether as a first step or permanently) or is that still too much caffeine? Then you get a bit of caffeine plus the nice hot drink.

edit: theres decaf of course too, for the nice psychological aspect/taste, although I'm sure you've considered that!

MBTI
    infp

I can't offer any advice, but I do have some questions about caffeine addiction, so here I am! If it helps... just try to quit cold turkey.

So what I'm wondering is, how bad is having a caffeine dependance (and by dependance I mean having cravings (if that happens) or, for example, waking up with headaches untill you have a coffee)?

Also, I havn't actually started drinking coffee yet... should I even bother getting into a coffee routine where I'll want my "morning coffee" or should I skip it entirely?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

As useful as it is, coffee doesn't have to become a routine. I love my coffee but saving it for the days I'm most tired or crave it most makes it more enjoyable than if it was just my morning "thing". I have a large, strong cup probably 3 times a week on average, though I used to drink it every day....I don't think dependency will be an issue if you keep your consumption reasonably low.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm supposed to give up on caffeine consumption according to my doctor (a different one than the idiot who is good at mixing up charts!). Of course, I tend to drink something like 12 cups of coffee a day at minimum, so this is absolute hell- no matter what I do I have a horrible headache and waking up in the morning takes signifigantly more time than I'd prefer for it to

Anyone have any tips on how to make this any easier? It would be greatly appreciated!
    The only thing I can think of is to drink a lot of water... but it sounds like that may not be enough . I think that if it's really, really bothering you, the first thing to do would be to call your doctor and see if stopping altogether is the best option, or if you can stop gradually (say, over the course of a week, go from your usual 12 cups to 10, 8, etc.). I don't think you can get rid of the headaches completely, but maybe scaling back gradually would help you ease through it? Or maybe it would just mildly uncomfortable for a longer period of time... I don't know.

Only thing I can think of is to call your doctor and see if there are any options to just suffering through it. The headaches will stop - I've been there, and they do stop!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

thank you! Headaches are a rather miserable thing and unfortunatly it's the weekend and the doctor's office is not open. I'm supposed to cut out all caffeine, which seems rather cruel to me.

I've been drinking water- it keeps me awake to be doing something! Plus- it's a good way to wash down medicine for headaches (but not excedrin )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTJ

I would just try to quit cold turkey and starking bulging green tea.

I drink coffee in cycles, a few months two per day and after that I quit for a few months. I hate to see myself becoming dependant on anything. In this way the coffee really works too, I don't need more and more.
    Although I am getting an espresso machine soon, so maybe things will change after all..

MBTI
    INTP

Reduce gradually by two cups a day. Then go cold turkey. The widthdrawl is nasty but temporary. You'll get past it with two or three days.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh... did they say why you needed to do this, or did they just decide it wasn't healthy and told you to stop? Just curious.

Anyway, I pretty much live on caffeinated soft drinks, although I don't drink coffee. I would really hate being limited to water or the like, because it just seems so tasteless, and I get a headache when I don't have any caffeine.

The only advice I can give would be to stop completely, and try not to exert yourself. You have far less energy than normal for a while after you stop drinking caffeine, because your body becomes dependent on the energy boost from it to maintain homeostasis.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I quit drinking anything with caffeine in it to lessen anxiety and I can really see a difference in my behavior. Sometimes (like at a restaurant) it's unavoidable as they don't offer diet caffeine free beverages so I'll have a diet coke and I can feel my energy changing from calm to jumpy.

Tell yourself that you're suffering from allergies while you're detoxing (thats what I did and it worked). And like others have said drink lotsa water! Good luck!
    Time is a delicate mistress.