• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Caffeine Withdrawl

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just switched to tea ;) I decided that the real problem probably was the fact that I'd drink 12 cups of coffee a day, even more cups of tea (and energy drinks and caffeine pills...), and couldn't think of anything that I'd drank that didn't contain caffeine and/or alcohol for a good while :shock: That would probably cause an irregular heartbeat in anyone :doh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So it's an irregular heartbeat? You might want to get some tests- it could be nothing, or something. You're right that it probably is the caffeine but you might not have to cut it out altogether. I had that problem last year and at first I was told to cut out all caffeine as well while we investigated the problem. I wore a holter monitor for either 24 or 48 hours, I can't remember which, and had an echocardiogram. Turns out they are premature atrial contractions, just a misfire in the system, totally benign and not at all related to caffeine. I still should quit (although I don't drink even half of your intake) because I have high BP but I think I remember you said that isn't a problem for you.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah- very low blood pressure :dry:

I'm getting it checked out before I graduate and have no insurance for a bit :shock: I'd really rather not die from some boring cause!

The doctor nearly swallowed his pen when I mentioned how much caffeine I consume in the average day though :laugh: I guess even if that's not the cause of problems I should probably cut down on the caffeine anyways!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Probably so. 12 cups is a little excessive. ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: Yes, it is. It's just like any other drug I suppose, I had to keep drinking more to get the same effects!

I'm drinking tea (and water!) now in order to ward off headaches and not over caffeinate- I still have a bit of a headache though.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Drink lots and lots (and lots) of water. You will get withdrawal migraines. If you believe the whole 'purifying' theory of health, taking hot baths with epsom salts should help some. Vitamin B is a caffeine substitute for energy, though it has its own side effects. You can also see if aromatherapy helps, mint and camphor etc. "bracing" scents may help some. Do you have trouble sleeping? Sounds crazy but excercise may help -- it will give you energy during the day and knock you at night.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Drink lots and lots (and lots) of water. You will get withdrawal migraines. If you believe the whole 'purifying' theory of health, taking hot baths with epsom salts should help some. Vitamin B is a caffeine substitute for energy, though it has its own side effects. You can also see if aromatherapy helps, mint and camphor etc. "bracing" scents may help some. Do you have trouble sleeping? Sounds crazy but excercise may help -- it will give you energy during the day and knock you at night.
Good advice though personally I tend to dislike aromatherapy. That could be more of a guy thing. You'll be miserable at first but I'd go ahead and pop the ibuprohen or whatever you normally use. Excedrin has caff so stay away from it. I get come down headaches off of Tylenol but whatever works for you. I'd rec more fruit juices. Prolly nothing more than psych help. It may take 8 days or so, sometimes being really miserable but you'll be much better off after you do. Even your desire for it will wane.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
There was a point in my life in which I used to drink too much coffee - 5/6 cups a day. I quit cold turkey; you have to quit on weekends when you don't have work to do, and set yourself a weekend of "full sleep" in order to fully recuperate all the sleep and rest that you've missed.

Start quitting on Friday; then go to sleep early on friday night. Stay in bed all saturday and sunday. On Monday you'll probably feel much better.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
12 cups a day is a lot. Now I understand where all that energy came from! :shock:

That's more than one gram of pure caffeine per day, and serious symptoms can appear as soon as 2 grams/day, but I think you already know that... :huh:

---

Anyway, good luck on your own "decaffeination process"...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ummm... they do exist and I carry one with me to campus every day :doh: That's mostly the cup I drink coffee out of

and coffee is like crack? :shock: Oh no! I don't want to end up like Jennifer Connely's character in Requiem for a Dream! :cry:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Coffee like crack?
Crack in 24oz cups??
You must be extremely rich (and doped up ;))

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cry: if only!

I'm remembering a scrubs episode where the janitor announces that the 2 most addictive substances are caffeine and nicotine, and then he crumbles a cigarette into a cup of coffee for a child :sick:

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Not sure if this was mentioned (sorry I didn't read the whole thread xD) but I saw something where two groups of people were testing coffee, one group with decaf and one normal, and the decaf people reported having the same caffiene kick when drinking it :) I know just thinking about coffee wakes me up a bit, so maybe try getting up with decaf? :D mmm.... caffiene placebooo :smile:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yes! it ruins it all- sometimes 2 things that go well together are best not combined into one mess *shudder* like chocolate ice cream and french fries!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My friend gave me decaf before and didn't tell me and I still got a withdrawl headache :cry:

I've done that before at parties with booze though- it actually worked ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and coffee is like crack? :shock: Oh no! I don't want to end up like Jennifer Connely's character in Requiem for a Dream! :cry:

omg. Thanks for bringing THAT picture back to mind...!

(Even the amputation probably is better than what she got in the end.)