User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I just switched to tea I decided that the real problem probably was the fact that I'd drink 12 cups of coffee a day, even more cups of tea (and energy drinks and caffeine pills...), and couldn't think of anything that I'd drank that didn't contain caffeine and/or alcohol for a good while That would probably cause an irregular heartbeat in anyone
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So it's an irregular heartbeat? You might want to get some tests- it could be nothing, or something. You're right that it probably is the caffeine but you might not have to cut it out altogether. I had that problem last year and at first I was told to cut out all caffeine as well while we investigated the problem. I wore a holter monitor for either 24 or 48 hours, I can't remember which, and had an echocardiogram. Turns out they are premature atrial contractions, just a misfire in the system, totally benign and not at all related to caffeine. I still should quit (although I don't drink even half of your intake) because I have high BP but I think I remember you said that isn't a problem for you.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Yeah- very low blood pressure

I'm getting it checked out before I graduate and have no insurance for a bit I'd really rather not die from some boring cause!

The doctor nearly swallowed his pen when I mentioned how much caffeine I consume in the average day though I guess even if that's not the cause of problems I should probably cut down on the caffeine anyways!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Probably so. 12 cups is a little excessive.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Yes, it is. It's just like any other drug I suppose, I had to keep drinking more to get the same effects!

I'm drinking tea (and water!) now in order to ward off headaches and not over caffeinate- I still have a bit of a headache though.

MBTI
    GONE

Drink lots and lots (and lots) of water. You will get withdrawal migraines. If you believe the whole 'purifying' theory of health, taking hot baths with epsom salts should help some. Vitamin B is a caffeine substitute for energy, though it has its own side effects. You can also see if aromatherapy helps, mint and camphor etc. "bracing" scents may help some. Do you have trouble sleeping? Sounds crazy but excercise may help -- it will give you energy during the day and knock you at night.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Drink lots and lots (and lots) of water. You will get withdrawal migraines. If you believe the whole 'purifying' theory of health, taking hot baths with epsom salts should help some. Vitamin B is a caffeine substitute for energy, though it has its own side effects. You can also see if aromatherapy helps, mint and camphor etc. "bracing" scents may help some. Do you have trouble sleeping? Sounds crazy but excercise may help -- it will give you energy during the day and knock you at night.
    Good advice though personally I tend to dislike aromatherapy. That could be more of a guy thing. You'll be miserable at first but I'd go ahead and pop the ibuprohen or whatever you normally use. Excedrin has caff so stay away from it. I get come down headaches off of Tylenol but whatever works for you. I'd rec more fruit juices. Prolly nothing more than psych help. It may take 8 days or so, sometimes being really miserable but you'll be much better off after you do. Even your desire for it will wane.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

There was a point in my life in which I used to drink too much coffee - 5/6 cups a day. I quit cold turkey; you have to quit on weekends when you don't have work to do, and set yourself a weekend of "full sleep" in order to fully recuperate all the sleep and rest that you've missed.

Start quitting on Friday; then go to sleep early on friday night. Stay in bed all saturday and sunday. On Monday you'll probably feel much better.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

12 cups a day is a lot. Now I understand where all that energy came from!

That's more than one gram of pure caffeine per day, and serious symptoms can appear as soon as 2 grams/day, but I think you already know that...

---

Anyway, good luck on your own "decaffeination process"...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Anyway, here is a little song that illustrates well the danger of caffeine overdose...

(It's in french, sorry, but the video is interesting, though)

Video Le café - café, oldelaf, mr_D, animation, emca - Dailymotion Share Your Videos
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI