User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Fasting

MBTI
    infp

Default Fasting

I've heard that some people use fasting as a form of detox. Apparently fasting for one or two days with only water or non-sugary fruit juice can give your organs a break from digestion and can force your body to use the tissue and nutrients from damaged cells, causing your body to become more efficient. Apparently it also has some spiritual and psychological effects like clearer thinking and stress relief because you are not exposing yourself to high sugar and fats commonly found in our modern diet.

Is this true, and have any of you tried it yourself?

MBTI
    ENTP

I've heard that also actually. I've fasted for Yom Kippur (but we eat a lot before and after, so that doesn't fit what you're saying) but also have forgotten to eat at times. I've had a few times when I've eaten only a light, healthy breakfast, and then forgotten to eat again until the next day for breakfast, although I drank a lot of water. And yes, it actually isn't bad. I don't do it often, I'm a complete foodie, but sometimes I forget. I'd be crabby if I didn't eat breakfast, but once that's done (and that can be as light as a piece of fruit) fasting til breakfast the next day can feel cleansing and refreshing.

But I suspect that doing it too frequently would make one very crabby.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm inclined to dismiss it as unscientific BS, especially since it intuitively makes sense to keep your body supplied with food regularly....your organs have adapted specifically to digesting regular meals. They don't need a break any more than your heart does. But hey, I haven't actually researched the topic. Maybe there is some logic behind it that I'm just unaware of. I wouldn't try it myself though, without a valid reason.

High sugar and fat absolutely are not good for you, especially in excess, but you don't need to stop eating all food to stop eating those...

MBTI
    infp

About eating before and after, I heard about a study on mice where the mice could eat only every other day, and they ended up pigging out the days they could eat and obviously didn't eat the other days because no food was offered. The study showed these mice lived longer and were more resistent to disease.

Of course, mice arn't people, but it gets you thinking.

Another thing I was thinking was the difference in our modern diet to how our bodies are designed -which is not neccesarily to eat every day. Being able to eat every day and eat well is a very, very new thing in human history. This whole three meals a day at set times is very different than how we once lived, which was just getting whatever food could be found/hunted and eating it as soon as possible. Its interesting to think that perhaps occasionally witholding food for short periods of time (i.e. a day or two) could be beneficial to your body, and this idea seems consistent with how our bodies developed biologically. I almost wonder if eating so consistently could be slightly harmful.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm inclined to dismiss it as unscientific BS, especially since it intuitively makes sense to keep your body supplied with food regularly....your organs have adapted specifically to digesting regular meals. They don't need a break any more than your heart does. But hey, I haven't actually researched the topic. Maybe there is some logic behind it that I'm just unaware of. I wouldn't try it myself though, without a valid reason.

High sugar and fat absolutely are not good for you, especially in excess, but you don't need to stop eating all food to stop eating those...
    It does intuitively make sense your body is designed to intake food regularly, but it also intuitively makes sense that it adapted to be able to healthily live without food for short periods of time, and perhaps even make these short periods of no food beneficial.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Just try it. Personally, I just get hungry.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I've heard that some people use fasting as a form of detox. Apparently fasting for one or two days with only water or non-sugary fruit juice can give your organs a break from digestion and can force your body to use the tissue and nutrients from damaged cells, causing your body to become more efficient. Apparently it also has some spiritual and psychological effects like clearer thinking and stress relief because you are not exposing yourself to high sugar and fats commonly found in our modern diet.

Is this true, and have any of you tried it yourself?
    Detoxing in general seems to work... but it seems to be better if one keeps a few healthy things on the go.. some high fibre veggie stuff and lots of water for a day, in modest quantities. Entirely fasting doesn't seem so hot.. mainly because at the end of it you'll savage your chocolate collection.

I have to say, though, that having a clean/detox day or two definitely makes me feel better as a break from the bad stuff.

MBTI
    GONE

Yeah, I've fasted. I did the crazy sounding 'lemon juice/maple syrup/cayenne pepper' fast. I used 'gourmet hippie' maple syrup -- the same brand Beyonce used to drop sizes for her role in Dream Girls -- thus blurring the line between 'fast' and 'eating disorder'. Hey, at least I acknowledge it. Fasts are a culturally ok way for celebrites and their emulants (yes that's a word - I made it up) to basically not eat for extended periods of time.

I've done the lemonade fast for 15 days and a straight up fast with only water and occasional juice for 10 days.

The first time I felt very energized, stayed very active with yoga and rock climbing and an active social calendar. Actually, I had to sneak in chai tea (caffeine is a no no durnig fasts) and vegan cookies in the last few days to help me keep up with all the activity. And I drank A LOT of fluids.

Second time round, didn't drink enough fluids and I was so tired I literally slept 12 hours straight and up to 16 hours total a day. I was exhausted. The first time, I didn't lose weight (nor did I intend to, I wanted to see what 'detox' was), but my skin cleared up beautifully. The second time, I dropped 10 pounds on the scale and my skin looked the same and I remained sluggish for a while. I really did not fast right the 2nd time.

Did I FEEL better?

When you do it right, you feel very light and energized and clear headed. Proper fasting is attributed to many miraculous effects including lowering your blood sugar levels to non-diabetic levels, curing phantom pains, helping with allergies and depression, etc.

I do buy into the detox thing with a grain of salt, though many experts will tell you detoxing is a myth, and that in fact your body is meant to live and even thrive with all kinds of pathogens, germs, and junk in your system and or that eating the proper kinds of foods is what detoxes you and fasting is too jarring on the body. People who believe modern living and foods are 'toxic' and that the human body is based on a prehistoric blueprint will tell you your body DOES need a break from all this modern junk.

When done right, fasting does NOT make you feel hungry (except late at night ), after 2 or 3 days you lose those sensations of hunger.

Every time you do it, you learn new things about yourself, your relationship to food, your reaction to food, you becom strangely aware of things, you lose and gain allergies.

I could get truly hippie dippie here but I'll stop. Unless you want more hippie dippie perspectives on it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Fasting also make your hearing a lot sharper (in the short run, of course), so make sure to have some soothing music around, and try to avoid sudden, loud noises.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

A coworker tried it and he said he could tell his skin was feeling nasty and smelly after the 2nd day, and he had to shower a couple times a day to stop it.

I tried fasting for 3 days once, using only low-sodium V8 (the small cans, once a day)... can't say I experienced that, but one thing I did notice was the benefits of low metabolism--my brain just "felt" quieter, like a lot of metabolic noise (for lack of a better term) was silenced.

Also, external heat didn't make me sweat as much. 85F outside with the sun out, and I was just fine keeping my windows closed. The baking hot sun actually felt good--it felt like my body was actively absorbing every ray, no sweating.

On the downside, I occasionally became a tad dizzy, which was distressing to say the least. I don't plan on making fasting a routine.