User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If diets worked, there would be no need for thousands and thousands of diet books; there would be no need for magazines to constantly spruke diets.

It's the same with self help books. If they worked, there would be no need of a constant, no ending stream.

And it is exactly the same with religion. If religion worked, or if religion was true, there would be no need for thousands of religions.

So diets, self help books and religions don't work.
    The ridiculousness of the premise is exceeded only by the vanity of the title.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

Jix, I thought when you started conversing with Victor you knew what you were getting into. Clearly, you were unprepared. Don't bring a golf club to a tennis match!
    ya no.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I hate to say Victor is right (<---I love saying that). A diet is just what you eat, and what you eat makes you fat. That's all there is to it.
    victor is clearly wrong. What we eat can either speed up or slow our metabolism.So eating right foods helps you lose weight as oppose to gain it. This is science not a philosophical question.

Permabanned

Who knows? Perhaps it is a very long cricket match. So you are rewarded by patience, stamina and subtlety, and by following the manners and mores of cricket. So when someone says, "It's not cricket!", you know you have overstepped the mark, and as a gentleman, you step back.
    speak for yourself.

MBTI
    INTP

If diets worked, there would be no need for thousands and thousands of diet books; there would be no need for magazines to constantly spruke diets.

It's the same with self help books. If they worked, there would be no need of a constant, no ending stream.

And it is exactly the same with religion. If religion worked, or if religion was true, there would be no need for thousands of religions.

So diets, self help books and religions don't work.
    A good post.

Is it in the interest of doctors to make mankind healthy?
    It is in the interest of doctors to make mankind unhealthy.

Interest.

1. Profit.
    2. Advantage.

Ginkgo

What? You don't believe in God, but you do believe in McDonalds?

Well, they tell me the golden arches are better known than the cross.
    I think it's because Churches haven't invented drive-thrus. Maybe the root of the problem is that Church's Chicken got dibs on the copyright.

MBTI
    yupp

diets make us fat because most people only eat that diet for a short period of time and the body gains back the weight after that period is over, if they kept eating the diet forever that shouldn't happen
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

people don't maintain their caloric restriction or macro-proportions-pattern because their metabolism doesn't allow them to do so, after some time.

for instance a low carb diet is famous for allowing you calorie restriction without any painfull hunger. it's true! it's awesome.

but after you hit your metabolic plateau months later, even the slightest hint of hunger will magically drive you to eat something, preferably something with some carbs in it. your psyche becomes supersensitive to physical hunger. you have lost all discipline.

calorie restriction is imho usefull, as long as it's not a restriction of nutrients.

high nutrient density is the major reasoning for a low carb diet.

arguing about insulin, like gary taubes does, is problematic, because of "how the body works" is a variable and what's true for overweight high-carb-conditioned people may be no longer true for them, after they have done a low carb diet for many months.

calorie/carb restriction is usefull because loosing 50 of 70 pounds fat (as i did last year) can be verry usefull for health, ...

... even if it does not fix metabolism and your crazy metabolism will "make you" gain back 10 or 15 pounds quickly, as soon as you begin to eat by appetite again. by making you eat almond choclate, if need be.

if a fat metabolism, that is a body who's hormon system "thinks" that he must save fat, because it thinks that "food is a scarcity", can be "fixed" at all, then this fix can be applied after the initial weight loss period.

remember that this body's opionon about gaining weight is not relative to body weight. this type of body feels like he is starving even when he has 70 pounds of overweight.

the reason he does not gain indefinately is onyl because he also cares about having to carry it around and possibly other factors. so i don't believe that having lost 40 or 50 pounds makes fixin the metabolism harder.

i got some interesting ideas from a guy named gabriel about how metabolism "thinks".

so i reached my plateau at 20 pound overweight, after losing 50 pounds. i am currently testing the effects of eating as much as i can, once a day. 1400kcal in the morning. doing this for two days now. didn't feel hungry in the evening. signaling my stomach abundance in the morning and never having a thought about restricting food/portions (as if it was a scarcity) might have an effect on my metabolism. it's just a test. i really never expect one method to work for a long time.

another idea of his, besides signaling abundance, is teaching your body, that it's better off without excess weight, by making it do things, that it can hardly do with all the weight. like running away from the cops. this is what he has observed with his cat, who wanted to become slim, after being chased by a dog for the first time in her life. it's not about sports, like gaining muscles or burning calories, albeit gaining muscles is probably a good idea too.

another strategy is to make sure there is no incomming toxic load. the body needs time to give up fat, because the fat dumps toxins and they have to be relased when the fat is burned, and that is dangerous and needs to be done slowly.

if you have any wisdom on hacking metabolism, share it.

Shriving

Diets are form of abnegation. Diets are a form of penance. We shrive ourselves by dieting.

And it is women who do the most dieting.

And they diet to punish themselves for being women.

Being a women in the patriarchy is a sin, and sinners must be shrived.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Diets are form of abnegation. Diets are a form of penance. We shrive ourselves by dieting.

And it is women who do the most dieting.

And they diet to punish themselves for being women.

Being a women in the patriarchy is a sin, and sinners must be shrived.
    Ah well i am mighty glad i do not need to be punished. I just eat (failry) healthily.
    I have a high metabolism and i excersize.... because i like it.
    Society must be rewarding me for being a woman...
    progress!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"