User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    Oh I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't bump it, I'm going to comment! I totally agree about carbs. I used to think low carb diets were wacky, until I read Good Calories, Bad calories and Why We Get Fat and What to do About it. I started a ketogenic diet (high fat/low carb) about 8 months ago, and I have very very easily dropped 70 pounds. It's become a very maintainable lifestyle for me. I don't plan to stay ketogenic forever, but the benefits of low carb are so numerous that I definitely plan to limit my sugar intake and bread/pasta/rice and fruit intake for the rest of my life.
    Congrats!

Can you share a sample menu of what you eat on a typical day?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    But... potatoes are so good.
    If they don't affect you negatively, keep eating 'em girl!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't buy into diets and I don't think the low carb fad is any different. Yes. It works but who wants to deprive yourself? No one. And truth is, people end up eating around their cravings and consume more. It's not maintainable for life to eat like that and you'll gain it back - become depressed - repeat then gain again.

Count your calories. Read labels! You will lose weight! Plan meals accordingly. You will find that you will naturally eat better because you are planning your meals. You want pasta? Ok. A serving size is 200 calories. Deduct that from your daily allowance.

Soon, you'll eat more protein and less empty carbs naturally because it's less calories and fills you longer. Add fibrous fruits and veg.

Also, work out. If you burn more than you consume you lose weight. Diet alone is not going to do it because you'll starve yourself eventually because you will plateau with diet alone. Work out 30 min a day and thats around 300 calories. That substitutes a meal.

It's hard work but it works and it will soon become a lifestyle. You want something you can maintain for life. Also, you should be losing around 1-2 pounds a week if you are doing it right. Forget this fad stuff.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Based on the reading I've done, it seems like the healthiest "general" diet would be maybe 1/2-2/3 plants with a good chunk being leafy ones, with the rest maybe equal parts meat and healthy sources of carbs.
    This is definitely what makes me feel best on a day-to-day basis (although replace "meat" with "protein" like eggs or something).
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Congrats!

Can you share a sample menu of what you eat on a typical day?
    Sure! Here are a few things I eat fairly often. I eat such a huge variety of things so that I don't get bored, so I'd never be able to list them all, but I totally want to.

Breakfast: I don't really eat breakfast. I usually have a couple cups of coffee with heavy cream.
    If I do eat breakfast I usually make a flax muffin. It only takes one minute in the microwave and they are ultra good. I can also make almond meal/flax meal pancakes, and they are amazing, but they take too much prep and I'm lazy.

Lunches:
    • A salad with spinach, chicken or steak, bacon pieces, olives, cheese and usually ranch dressing or a creamy italian dressing.
    • Tuna salad with full fat mayo, jalapenos and whatever else sounds good. I just eat it with a fork.
    • If I'm feeling extra lazy I'll just throw about 3 oz of salami and a few pieces of cheese in my lunch bag and just eat that.

Dinner:
    • Tacos. I make my own taco seasoning, and I use cheese slices baked in the oven as "shells". If I'm too lazy to make the shells I just make a taco salad. I load it with guacamole, sour cream, spinach,cheese etc etc
    • Hot wings. I usually make my own, because they are cheap and not too difficult to make. I make a butter/ frank's red hot sauce and they are delicious. I dip in ranch. Sometimes I have some celery on the side for a bit of fiber.
    • For a pasta substitute sort of thing I like to saute some mushroom, spinach, chicken,bacon and broccoli in an Alfredo sauce with a bit of a Cajun seasoning. GOOD.
    • Pizza. I make a crust with almond meal and a variety of cheeses. I only use a tiny bit of sauce and top it with whatever I want that is low in carbs.

Snacks:
    Almonds in moderation
    Sunflower seeds
    cheese
    pepperoni and cream cheese
    beef jerky
    pork rinds
    kale chips (homemade not breaded)
    flax crackers
    fried cheese (i just fry the cheese in a pan, no breading)
    pickles
    olives
    jalapeno poppers
    cheese crisps

I eat so much fat that I'm never hungry, and sometimes I don't even eat over 900 calories (although I average about 1500 calories), because I'm just not hungry. I used to binge eat all day long going from something sweet, to something savory and then back to something sweet. I know that some people think that my diet is not good, but it really has been wonderful for me. My whole life has changed. I was even able to stop taking a lot of medications. YAY. I feel amazing. I have more energy than I ever imagined and I'm happy. I also went from 44% body fat to 23% body fat. I have about 25 more pounds to lose. I don't miss anything, and I do not feel deprived. I feel healthy for the first time in my life. I probably blabbed on too long, but I'm very passionate about it haha.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis
    Well it does seem that carbs' negative effects do go away with exercise (in my own experience as I mentioned above), and exercise should eliminate the need for the liver to produce fat out of the excess carbs (see the link I posted way above from Dr. Davis's heart scan blog) that supposedly trigger heart disease, so I can agree with the premise of using carbs with exercise. But for those of us who don't exercise, or don't do it all the time, I think it's worth considering low-carb.
    That is mostly what I think, for now. To keep in mind the relation of the input-and-output. If you take in energy through food, use that energy if you don't want to gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Also, @LadyJaye and @Domino: for anti-inflammatory benefits, flax seed oil is a great choice because it has the highest omega3 count (by far) compared to hemp, sunflower, soybean, pumpkin, canola, and olive.

I haven't tried flax seed oil, but I heard it doesn't taste the best... You may want to hide it.
    I can tell you from working with flaxseed oil that it smells delicious. I always love that chance to catch the scent. But don't know about the taste.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 08-26-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: combine posts
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I can tell you from working with flaxseed oil that it smells delicious. I always love that chance to catch the scent. But don't know about the taste.
    I have a bottle of flaxseed oil capsules, and while none have ruptured, it smells fishier than my bottle of fish oil capsules.. is this normal?
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I have a bottle of flaxseed oil capsules, and while none have ruptured, it smells fishier than my bottle of fish oil capsules.. is this normal?
    Hmm actually, yeah, my boss smelled something I would have called "fish oil," and he said it was "flaxseed oil," by scent recognition. The scent I'm thinking of might be coming from something other than the oil, but it's there when you crush up the seeds, and it's not there when the seeds are whole. (And usually, something's main scent comes from its oil component.) Plus there are two main different types of flaxseed. Oh well, there goes my advice.

The kind I'm thinking of has an earthy, rich smell. Or as people who know horses say "It smells like horse food," because they use flax in that.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Hmm actually, yeah, my boss smelled something I would have called "fish oil," and he said it was "flaxseed oil," by scent recognition. The scent I'm thinking of might be coming from something other than the oil, but it's there when you crush up the seeds, and it's not there when the seeds are whole. (And usually, something's main scent comes from its oil component.) Plus there are two main different types of flaxseed. Oh well, there goes my advice.

The kind I'm thinking of has an earthy, rich smell. Or as people who know horses say "It smells like horse food," because they use flax in that.
    Yeah I'd believe fresh flax oil right out of the seed smells good. It also oxidizes quickly/easily due to its numerous double-bonds, so pre-canned flax oil in capsules probably smells far less "fresh"...
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

Low carb has worked very well for me. I have followed a slow-carb diet for about a year, keeps me lean. I followed a less than 30 grams of carbs per day diet (ketosis) this summer in hopes of getting below 10% body fat. I lost some fat, but not as much as I was hoping. From my experience Slow-carb is much more maintainable and results in higher athletic, cognitive, and emotional performance. In fact I would say that I feel much better eating slow-carb than eating sugars, starches and other simple carbohydrates.

I am very active, and always have been since I was young (intense most days). My Carb needs might be higher than most. But, if you live a sedentary lifestyle you might be better off living off of ketones.
    Jonnyboy: you know women, trying to fill their gaping holes with the largest thing possible

MBTI
    ISTx

If your diet is causing you to eliminate every trace of fat from one's body, not only does that not necessarily mean it's ideal but it's probably not even good for you. Eliminating carbs altogether or even just significantly sounds like a poor plan.