User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    That's a big one, it soothes my concern that "omg I'm gonna clog my arteries" by eating all that sat. fat. Other articles, including this one tweeted by Dr. Eades adds an anecdote: http://www.ajcn.org/content/94/6/1433.abstract?etoc
    Just seems that it's not the villain the CSPI made it out to be, and I've had good luck with eating a high-fat diet so far.
    Not sure how parallel this is but I eat a lot of eggs and haven't been concerned about the 'it causes high cholesterol'. I read something way back that said how people mixed up the cholesterol in shrimp and eggs for the kind of cholesterol that fills your arteries?

And @nanook, dang son it sounds like you have a lot more going on than simple metabolism issues. I know you are against 'fad diets' but some of things you mention sounds like the inspiration for the guy who went totally on vegetable smoothies for 100 days or something. In the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I would look into the pH of food if I were you. Instead of concentrating on burning calories at this point I'd look into healing the other issues going on with inflammation and allergies. And potatoes and white bread (in croissants) are still potent 'white starches' that are no-nos in low carb diets.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    That's a big one, it soothes my concern that "omg I'm gonna clog my arteries" by eating all that sat. fat. Other articles, including this one tweeted by Dr. Eades adds an anecdote: http://www.ajcn.org/content/94/6/1433.abstract?etoc
    Just seems that it's not the villain the CSPI made it out to be, and I've had good luck with eating a high-fat diet so far.
    Not sure how parallel this is but I eat a lot of eggs and haven't been concerned about the 'it causes high cholesterol'. I read something way back that said how people mixed up the cholesterol in shrimp and eggs for the kind of cholesterol that fills your arteries?

And @nanook, dang son it sounds like you have a lot more going on than simple metabolism issues. I know you are against 'fad diets' but some of things you mention sounds like the inspiration for the guy who went totally on vegetable smoothies for 100 days or something. In the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I would look into the pH of food if I were you. Instead of concentrating on burning calories at this point I'd look into healing the other issues going on with inflammation and allergies. And potatoes and white bread (in croissants) are still potent 'white starches' that are no-nos in low carb diets.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    http://www.medicinenet.com/your_chol...pth/page12.htm

Certain foods and "genetics" play a role. So, if you are genetically prone to having small cholesterol sizes in your arteries, it is a lot better to keep the saturated fat to a minimum. Probably the only way to find out if you are prone to small cholesterol size is to get scanned.

Either way, keeping away from saturated fat does no harm. It means you don't have to worry as much about cholesterol levels whether you are part A or part B.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

If you eat clean all week, with exercise routinely, then reserve one day for eating whatever you want, you'll probably keep losing fat. Or you'll lose even more than on average. If the body is used to clean meals (no fat, no sugar) then one day you eat whatever you want, it will react to the junk and probably ramp up your metabolism higher.

EDIT: The reason the body will gain it back is because it's always trying to maintain its 'set point' and equilibrium. It doesn't want to change. So if you go with no fat, no sugar, it doesn't have a choice. Then, on the one day, you shock the body with junk food that it's not expecting. And it overreacts and...1.) you end up losing more fat, plus 2.) you get to eat whatever you want! (within reason lol). Don't come back to me after eating a gallon of ice cream when you're hyper or something and tell me it didn't work! Haha! Yes this is from first-hand exper.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

WhoCares

For myself, what wasnt working for me was just wheat and dairy. I can eat rice to my hearts content but no gluten grain. I went strict low carb for 22 weeks and shifted absolutely nothing. Once I added rice back into my diet I lost weight at high speed. I've kept it off for a decade now.

Carbs in and of themselves are not the devil, often its a food intolerance instead. I had no idea gluten was a problem for me because it didnt cause pain and I had been raised upon it my whole life. I absolutely love bread but it doesnt love me back. it bloats me horrendously and gives me cellulite within 24hrs of eating it.
    It took a lot of trial and error to figure this but but sure enough milk and bread are the only foods that cause me to gain weight.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've been off gluten since October and lost 25 pounds without trying. I have cut back on sugar and cut out Coke, but didn't notice immediate results. I have two friends at school that have quit white sugar entirely and lost very significant amounts of weight without doing anything else.

I'm planning to cut out white sugar for two months when September begins (it's hard in the summer with lots of company and travelling) and will document what happens. I've started exercising regularly and haven't noticed any results yet, despite it being about three weeks (walking briskly for two hours a day or walking an hour and doing a 20 minute workout video like Jillian Michaels or an hour long stretching/callenetics video). Mostly right now I'm just trying to establish the habit and then will get more intense with it during the school year.

I discovered that I do have a problem with milk as well as gluten - weight consistently goes up by several pounds if I drink it and I drop the weight again when I quit. I've discovered that a lot of allergies to things result in water weight, so if you have rapid unexplained weight gain/cellulite, that might be worth checking out.

I'm experimenting with the idea of using more fats in my diet (including butter) and having more cooked veggies instead of raw. (Fat is supposed to help you absorb certain vitamins like A and D more effectively).

MBTI
    INFJ

People who gain weight; give me your bodies!

I have never been able to gain weight. I get a surprising amount of grief about it from people.

Like 3/4s of my family are all concerned about their weight and dieting and can get sensitive if it is mentioned but who do they always critique? Me. Excuse me for being able to get away with eating a sandwich now and then because I don't eat like I'm five people instead of one rather small framed person.

Tell me your secrets so I can stop hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    People who gain weight; give me your bodies!

I have never been able to gain weight. I get a surprising amount of grief about it from people.

Like 3/4s of my family are all concerned about their weight and dieting and can get sensitive if it is mentioned but who do they always critique? Me. Excuse me for being able to get away with eating a sandwich now and then because I don't eat like I'm five people instead of one rather small framed person.

Tell me your secrets so I can stop hearing about it.
    LOL, I would like to know their secrets too. I can't seem to gain weight without going into extremes.

I seem to always hit a certain plateau when it comes to weight. rarely gaining any, never losing any below the plateau.

I tell them, I can eat whatever I want.... but... I WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT! GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR FAT!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Oh I know this is an old thread, but since I didn't bump it, I'm going to comment! I totally agree about carbs. I used to think low carb diets were wacky, until I read Good Calories, Bad calories and Why We Get Fat and What to do About it. I started a ketogenic diet (high fat/low carb) about 8 months ago, and I have very very easily dropped 70 pounds. It's become a very maintainable lifestyle for me. I don't plan to stay ketogenic forever, but the benefits of low carb are so numerous that I definitely plan to limit my sugar intake and bread/pasta/rice and fruit intake for the rest of my life.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

But... potatoes are so good.