User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    There is also a relatively high number of undiagnosed cases of insulin resistance out there. Had a glucose test recently?
    That's actually WHY I eat so low carb. I was diagnosed with an insulin resistance, and there are a good bit of people in my family with type 1 diabetes. There's no doubt that carbs are nothing but bad for me.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Diets that involve cutting out or severely limiting certain nutrients are, generally speaking, unhealthy. Exceptions include such things known to have no nutritional value such as trans fats, but certainly neither sugar nor starch. However, moderation in one's diet is necessary, and the amounts of certain nutrients one needs to consume in order to stay as healthy as possible will vary from person to person.

There is generally two trends.

The type of carb you eat don't make you full (or full long enough.)
    The fat you eat doesn't make you full.

In a scale.
    Meat would be the most likely to get you full fast.
    Fruits and vegetables? Same thing. You can get quite a bit of nutrients with only fruits and vegetables alone... and get about 1500 calories or even less. Processed fruits and vegetables? Not the same.
    As for carbs itself. Whole grain is ok. Processed foods like white rice is not. When you eat low on the complex carbs, you're asking for constipation or foods stuck in your large intestine (keep watch with it when you are older.)

But don't expect to get all your nutrients from meat because it ain't happening. You can get most of your nutrients with fruits and vegetables alone, you can't do that with meat.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I seem to consistently drop in weight day after day if I eat gratuitous amounts of fat, particularly butter, either throughout the day or most notably before bedtime. For a week straight I'd indulge in a slice of butter mid-day and again before bedtime and see typically a consistent ~0.2-0.5lb drop day after day. Ended up back at my ~25lb total loss.
    You totally reminded me of this funny headline:

Norway Runs Out of Butter

I didn't think obesity was even an issue in Scandanavian countries...

Personally I'm a fan of 'healthy fats' if only for vanity reasons. As a woman, those good fats make your hair and skin nice and help keep you looking youthful and healthy. My bad cholesterol is low and my healthy LDL levels are high so I think I'm doing something right.

Even after cleaning up the food choices though, I'd experience routine tiredness after my meals. I just kinda dealt with it.
    This is so interesting because I've heard this a lot but can't relate. I get visibly perkier and more energetic after a meal. Perhaps I'm sugar sensitive. Doesn't matter if I'm eating potatoes, breads, sushi, veggies, cake, etc. So I used to not get or believe the hype about how carbs make you feel sluggish or 'heavy'. For me it was a vanity decision to try low carb not a lifestyle one.

I have a friend who went vegetarian for ethical reasons but the starch heavy diet made her feel "sluggish and tired" so she became a raw vegan and she swears by green smoothies and salads. I dunno...I've tried that and eating lots of raw veggies doesn't give me that miraculous glow that movies like Fat Sick and Nearly Dead[/URL] promise. It will keep you leaner than a traditional omnivore diet though.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I agree with FDG. Eliminating carbs will reduce your enjoyment of exercise considerably. You just can't go very long or very hard with nothing in your muscles.
    When I was on a ketogenic diet (which I wouldn't recommend unless you have epilepsy :P) supposedly the body can run on ketones though not as well. I've also tried working out in the morning first thing with no food. Supposedly that helps to burn through your glycogen (stored carb energy) reserves so then your body targets fat for fuel. Add to that a very low carb diet.

Does it work? All I know is that I am unholy tired for the rest of the day. After a week of this though I was noticeably leaner, lighter, my stomach flatter, and I finally understood what people meant by "feeling lighter".

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I'm insulin resistant so thinking that sugar and carbs are devils food is more than anecdotal experience here.

I had a hate-hate relationship with food for over 5 years, whenever I ate I felt like crap [...]

I did this so I could eat and not be in pain, the weight stuff was never my aim, it was a side effect so to speak.

Carbs are the devil.
    That sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully with your health back on track you can also rediscover your love of food!

Potatoes are higher-GI than most other veggies, go with pumpkin or even sweet potato and the results are better.
    I love sweet potatoes! My friend did tell me about a special type of white potato though that is low GI. You can get it at farmer's markets in SF. Those food loving hippies.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

My scale is like this:

Evil

Wheat
    Sugar

Daylight

Refined starch

Starch

Meat=nuts=fruit=vegies

Good

Edit: actually starch with fiber would be more neutral on that scale.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Personally I'm a fan of 'healthy fats' if only for vanity reasons. As a woman, those good fats make your hair and skin nice and help keep you looking youthful and healthy. My bad cholesterol is low and my healthy LDL levels are high so I think I'm doing something right.
    Reminds me of another thing that happened with the Atkins diet--a lot of flaky, itchy skin I had around my ears, face, hands, etc. cleared up and became perfectly smooth.

When I was on a ketogenic diet (which I wouldn't recommend unless you have epilepsy :P) supposedly the body can run on ketones though not as well. I've also tried working out in the morning first thing with no food. Supposedly that helps to burn through your glycogen (stored carb energy) reserves so then your body targets fat for fuel. Add to that a very low carb diet.

Does it work? All I know is that I am unholy tired for the rest of the day. After a week of this though I was noticeably leaner, lighter, my stomach flatter, and I finally understood what people meant by "feeling lighter".
    The Atkins diet is more or less a ketogenic diet, so I've been on it (off-and-on as I've cheated on it routinely throughout the past year, mostly on holidays or vacations) for a while. I think there's an adjustment period, though, before you really thrive on them (i.e. can exercise hard).

In my own experience, the tiredness was something that came with the "adjustment period," but it also happened to me when my actual appetite dropped to the point that I wasn't eating enough. I started using FitDay.com for a week to track my actual food intake, and I was shocked at how I was only eating like 1200 calories in a day (for a ~240lb male). Started ramping up the fat and some extra protein, and I felt much better. It's quite interesting that on a ketogenic type of diet, it became easier for me to eat less, whereas on the high-carb diet I've done most of my life it was always easier for me to eat *more*.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The "white flour" based products definitely hurt more than the whole wheat ones. A lot of these problems disappeared when I exercised daily or at least 4 times a week, definitely came back when I stopped. I've tried the gym routine and it's not for me, I am simply not someone who cares to exercise with regularity. I just don't see the benefit of it. Always thought weight loss was the benefit, but never got too far with that when I was trying. Now I see diet is the main lever for weight loss, not exercise.
    I see, you're probably a naturally calm person I really really enjoy exercise and I need to do it often to feel calm, so it's not an *option* for me. Also I don't think it's great to see it as a way to fat loss, it gets boring that way
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I see, you're probably a naturally calm person I really really enjoy exercise and I need to do it often to feel calm, so it's not an *option* for me. Also I don't think it's great to see it as a way to fat loss, it gets boring that way
    Yeah, agreement on all points
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    GONE

Mod Note: some posts split off to here l
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

In honor of some of @spirilis ' suggestions I'm going to eat some fatty vegan coconut oil chocolate confection before bed. Who needs butter when you have coconut oil chocolate??

Johari/Nohari