• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Essential Oils and Natural Remedies

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do any of you have experience researching and using essential oils? I'm just getting started in my pursuits. I have a friend who is a retired nurse who studies and practices it. I would greatly enjoy sharing information with others with experience and interest in the subject. What books and sources for oils do you recommend? I have some info to recommend, but must run out the door at the moment.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've used them for cleaning, and tea tree for blemishes and baby butt-rashes. I don't really know much about them except which ones have antiseptic properties and that tea tree oil is pretty awesome.

I'd be interested in hearing some of what you've learned, Toonia.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I take two fish oil capsules every morning with my multi-vitamin...

I want to get some flax seed oil capsules too eventually.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What do you want to know? I've made two fragrant oils for myself and they turned out OK; not great but they were my first two tries. Too much jasmine smells like poo (it's a base note).:sick: I'm learning about aromatherapy and developing my nose so I'll be more than willing to share what little I know.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wait, so are we talking about cleaning oils, supplemental health oils (orally ingested), aromatic oils, sex oils etc.?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Oh TBGO, the places your mind goes.

I used to experiment with essential oils and making my own toiletries. Washes and scrubs and toners are pretty basic. Lotions gets trickier. I even made a shaving cream...at least, that's what the recipe said it was. It's a mix between cooking and using a chemistry set.

You learn all sorts of stuff making your own toiletries, for instance, sesame oil is a natural sunscreen and cuts the level of rays down by 70% Though, I can't imagine you'd want to baste yourself with oil and then walk out into the blazing sun...

Also, I discovered many of the most popular essential oils (and the ones with touted emotional/health benefits) are basically variations of citrus - neroli, ylang ylang, bergamot, etc.

I also learned about differences in quality, what "cold-pressing" is, the different kinds of "rose" essential oil, etc. Fun stuff.

But again, about 6 years ago my sense of smell suddenly diminished noticeably and I really can't smell much these days. So, I'm not really into aromatherapy as much.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These are two of the books i ordered. They are fantastic. They are organized as a reference guide, so you can look up different health problems and see what herbs and oils help, and/or you can look things up by oil with descriptions of what things each oil benefits. The first section of the first book describes the benefits from a medical perspective. It is written by an M.D. Ph.D. The second book includes information on using oils for skin, hair, and for cleaning. IBoth books are pub by Essential Science Publishing. I'm going to check out what else is available through that publisher. It makes so much sense to use a natural approach to its full extent before introducing pharmaceuticals. I'm not against the latter, but see the value in moderation.

24260030.JPG
25966808.JPG

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I love, love, love lavender! I'm always spraying it all over the house or burning it in a diffuser. It really is calming. I even use Mrs. Meyers lavender dish soap, window wash and surface cleaner.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do any of you have experience researching and using essential oils?

Yes, but only those with psychoactive properties through steam distillation. That was 15+ years ago - I gave up my research because so many essential oils, even those that are not psychoactive, are neurotoxic.

I'd still do it for mint leaves for iced tea though. :wubbie:

cheers,
Ian

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
geoff's gonna rub it all over his body!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Maybe I've done a little too much research on this topic (but c'mon what's the interwebz for if not random information trolling?) but apparently women like lavender, patchouli, and licorice. Jasmine is equally attractive to men and women, and men like the smell of pumpkin pie and...donuts. Like these scents are physically arousing to men. Yes, inside every man is a Homer Simpson just waiting to bust out. And jasmine and Lavender really do help people sleep more soundly though.

And Aeon, yikes, thanks for the info.

There's actually all sorts of effects common household chemicals and items have on us. Like the plastics in everyday items like phones, kitchen cabinets, and even bottles degauss toxic fumes, soy is supposedly linked to cancer and messed up estrogen levels in boys (this is hotly contested, btw), and showering too much washes away precious pheromenes people need to bond.

With a lot of aromatherapy, from my own trial and error days, it's really about getting the 'purest' (or safest) distillations of the scents and using the proper carriers. Some essential oils are really strong and aren't meant to be put straight on the skin and you can also get food grade essential oils.

And Geoff, now you're sounding like TBGO! :peepwall:

But if we're gonna go there, supposedly women's breasts do naturally hold a higher concentration of bonding pheromenes than the rest of the body, but maybe that's only in lactating or pregnant women?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pumpkin pie definitely drives me with the urge to eat treats... or at least anticipate the happy euphoria of doing so. I could totally imagine a lady lowering my guard by sticking a hot pumpkin pie (or appropriately scented facsimile) nearby.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, but only those with psychoactive properties through steam distillation. That was 15+ years ago - I gave up my research because so many essential oils, even those that are not psychoactive, are neurotoxic.
I am completely unfamiliar with that. There is a chapter on the chemistry and a safety discussion. If you have links to sites that examine the problems I would be glad to read those. What makes something have psychoactive properties? Are you saying they are all neurotoxic? I'm just a bit confused by that.