User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Damn You BMR! No wonder why we all get fat as we age

Okay, I just checked my BMR annnd SAY WHAT? I need around 1400 calories a day to maintain my weight. OMG. Do you know how little 1400 calories is? Unless you are cooking at home aware of portion control for diet/fitness purposes I would routinely be going over this 1400 mark.

Bah, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to complain. Also, don't bodies 'adjust' and 'reset' to the number of calories you eat for better or worse? That's why diets fail and people can survive on lower calories and also why even if you aren't watching your diet and eat what you like you don't have noticeable weight gain? At least...not for a while?

Has anyone else checked their BMR? Does anyone actually follow those guidelines, either to lose, gain, or maintain their weight? Or like most people do you just generally maintain your weight and slowly creep up the scale over the years. Bah.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Glycerine

I checked mine, it's 1200 cal/day to maintain my weight. 1000 to lose weight. Some days, I eat about 1000 and other days 1500 so it evens out.

I eat what I want to eat and eat until I'm full. Drinking mostly water leaves you more calories to expend. Eating is seriously one of the only things I have good self-discipline with.

I think bodies do adjust so it's my personal philosophy to go over every once in awhile to keep your metabolism sharp.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Isn't BMR the amount of calories we burn just to function? So unless you are truly just laying still all day and completely relaxed you are burning more than the BMR...

I am maintaining my weight right now and haven't been exercising and I probably eat a lot more than 1480 calories.

Glycerine

yes, it's basal metabolism rate.

"You expend energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. Thus your Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day - a tempting idea for some. If you've noticed that every year, it becomes harder to eat whatever you want and stay slim, you've also learned that your Basal Metabolic Rate decreases as you age. Likewise, depriving yourself of food in hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR, a foil to your intentions. However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body's ability to burn energy gradually slows down."

http://health.discovery.com/centers/...sal/basal.html

1400 KCAL = 5857.6 KJ PER DAY. A WATT IS A JOULE PER SECOND, SO THAT MEANS YOU ARE CONSUMING ABOUT 68 WATT WHILE YOU ARE ALIVE.

IF HUMANS COULD BE SIMULATED ON LESS ENERGY THAN THIS, THEN THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR YOUR BODIES.

SORRY, JUST THINKING OUT LOUD.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I've never heard of this before. Based on the calculator on Glycerine's link, I got 1445 Calories per day (which I discovered is 6046kj). That seems like a lot, right? Is that good or bad?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

1837.4 kcal. I can live with that.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

Riva

Default My father always tells me as his father has always told him -

It doesn't matter how much you eat, as long as you work out.

And work out he does.

Every day of his life, somedays he does it twice.

Since he was 23.
    (Except on Sundays.)

He is 60 this December.

He is an ESTJ.

My grandfather was an ESTP.

He lived till 90.

Didn't have any of those diseases people are always concerned about and fear.

Died in his sleep.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

mine is probably like 3000. I'm shrinking into a scrawny pile of bones
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My BMR is 1800. I don't count calories, as a rule I don't like to count anything at all unless I'm forced to by necessity. For the most part my body manages to tell me when I've eaten enough or not enough, but I don't often listen to it. :/