User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I've never heard of this before. Based on the calculator on Glycerine's link, I got 1445 Calories per day (which I discovered is 6046kj). That seems like a lot, right? Is that good or bad?
    That sounds about right. It's not good or bad... it's just what it is. It's 1445 cal just for laying in bed all day long. In reality, if you do more than than that, you would need more calories to maintain your weight.

MBTI
    intp

I followed it briefly, with definite if minimal effect. Then again, I was already thin and my weight rarely ever gets outside a 5-pound band. The extent to which your body just adjusts is limited, not to mention dependent on your body type.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ESFJ

Holy crap .. You guys got such higher numbers than me .. Mine is only 880.4 .. That's bad isn't it?
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    intp

Are you a "little person?"
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

BMR 1547.25 (technically, to be healthy, I should be at around a BMR of about 1703)

But I am ....slim.

I should be eating upwards to about 2500 calories.

However, maintaining 2500 calories a day for me is a great task unto itself. I generally only am able to eat about 2000 calories on a daily basis.

Heard that, by about age 25 is when people start gaining weight. Well? I am not 25 yet, but I would at least want to get 2500 calories a day.

But hey, it could explain why I am always at the same weight I have always been since middle school. I haven't really eaten more or less than I "need" (in quotes because I know I need to eat more) to eat

Anyhow, to survive with little energy, people need at least 1200 calories. Any less than 1200 calories is extreme starvation.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

1961.9. I must be fat...

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    1961.9. I must be fat...
    I would love to have that high of a BMR, it means that I am keeping a good weight for me.

MBTI
    GONE

[
    Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    1400 KCAL = 5857.6 KJ PER DAY. A WATT IS A JOULE PER SECOND, SO THAT MEANS YOU ARE CONSUMING ABOUT 68 WATT WHILE YOU ARE ALIVE.

IF HUMANS COULD BE SIMULATED ON LESS ENERGY THAN THIS, THEN THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR YOUR BODIES.

SORRY, JUST THINKING OUT LOUD.
    Umm...hi "Death"...I like having my body just fine...

:backs away slowly:

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    That sounds about right. It's not good or bad... it's just what it is. It's 1445 cal just for laying in bed all day long. In reality, if you do more than than that, you would need more calories to maintain your weight.
    The thing is I'm always reading about how people overestimate the calories burned during exercise. Cardio doesn't burn a ton, even if you run at moderate to high intensity you are burning what - maybe 350 calories? 350 calories is not even a full meal. 350 calories *is* however 2/3s of a Starf*cks frappucino.

Quote Originally Posted by Saslou View Post
    Holy crap .. You guys got such higher numbers than me .. Mine is only 880.4 .. That's bad isn't it?
    Wow. If you did it correctly I wouldn't say it's bad. I guess it's only bad if you find it very hard to eat around that many calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    However, maintaining 2500 calories a day for me is a great task unto itself. I generally only am able to eat about 2000 calories on a daily basis.
    I'm guessing you are either a guy (arrgh so many guys have this "problem" of naturally easily losing weight or being slender) or a true ectomorphic female and picky eater?

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    1961.9. I must be fat...
    Haha. No. Having that high of a BMR is a nice starting point if you want to maintain or lose weight. You would also have a high BMR the more exercise/activity you have a day. And technically muscle. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I've never heard of this before. Based on the calculator on Glycerine's link, I got 1445 Calories per day (which I discovered is 6046kj). That seems like a lot, right? Is that good or bad?
    Heck no!

For visual presentation check out this video of Beyonce's 1600 calorie diet. For her body type and the amount of dancing she does 1600 is tiny and is basically a chronic caloric deficit.

Ugh. That is not appetizing for 365 days a year. I have long stretches where I eat like that (or try to) but who naturally eats like that?

Watch from 1:13 to 1:31 to see what 1600 calories a day looks like

Part of the reason I posted about the BMR is that for most people in the US calories stack up hella FAST.

And if you eat out a lot? Very hard to hit near your maintenance BMR. In my jobs where I was on the road I would literally have to get fast food through a drive through and eat it in the parking lot before speeding to my next appointment (joking about the speeding :P) or I was chained to my desk from 8am-7pm and eating 3-4 times a day at my computer or for a brief respite at some highly fattening office cantina.

And at the time I wondered how I got so fat. Then I lost it. Then some of it has crept back up. Now that I know better I'm seriously just like WTH. It is a challenge to plan meals that hit that maintenance mark, even with a lot of daily physical activity that bumps up your limit by a few hundred calories.

The weight on the scale slowly creeps up. Ever. So. Slowly. By months not days.

OMG, I think I'm just discouraging myself and getting obsessive before I hit my fitness goals (go go TypeC Exercise Challenge!)
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Glycerine

R U FREAKING KIDDING ME ABOUT STARBUCKS? I know people who go there religiously.... that's a lotta calories.

violaine

I have a calorie/nutrition tracker app. I'm vaguely interested in calorie restriction/optimal nutrition for longevity and am experimenting. (I'm always experimenting! I think it's important not to restrict calories too far as that really messes up one's metabolism.) So far, I very easily and happily get by on under 1300 calories a day when I'm eating fresh foods. Not too strict with myself. Some days I eat more and some much less. The main thing is trying to eat nourishing foods without all those extra calories. I don't go crazy with exercise anymore either as I'd then need to bump up my calorie intake a bit.