123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Default Anyone Read "Wheat Belly?"

It basically says that wheat is a bastard and should be taken entirely out of the diet. I was skeptical at first, but I did some investigating and it seems to be checking out.

What do you think?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I haven't read it but I know I do better with minimal wheat.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Exactly what claims seem to be checking out?

I'm usually skeptical about these "Food X is THE DEVIL" books, especially if they're telling people it's responsible for their being overweight. There are so many books prescribing different dietary rules or plans or principles that will "really" solve everyone's weight problems, that I've taken to ignoring them for the most part.

If some of their health claims are well-supported though, I'd be interested to learn what they are.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've read other stuff about that, although not that book. There was an article about it in MacLean's a little while ago suggesting that the genetic modifications of many whole grains are affecting people very negatively.

I went off wheat/rye/barley three weeks ago and despite not being a huge bread eater or lover of desserts, I have been losing an average of 2 1/2 pounds a week. I know that I've had terrible water retention problems, so it's possible that some of that is water weight caused by my body's reaction to gluten, but I think it's certainly something worth lookign into. I haven't changed my diet in any other way or made an especial effort to eat more carefully/exercise more.
    Last edited by fidelia; 11-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've heard that eliminating wheat has worked well for some people. It's not something I'm about to try though. I enjoy my wheat products too much not to mention that it would be too much of an inconvenience to try to find suitable replacements. For me, the health benefits I might gain from it would not be worth the sacrifice and inconvenience it would cause, unless wheat was making me really sick or something similar.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I enjoy my wheat products too much not to mention that it would be too much of an inconvenience to try to find suitable replacements. For me, the health benefits I might gain from it would not be worth the sacrifice and inconvenience it would cause, unless wheat was making me really sick or something similar.
    Yeah, it's got to be very difficult to eliminate it from your diet. It's everywhere. I don't know if I could do it. And I'm not even into bready foods as much as some people.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

I've never read that book. But I think maybe taking wheat out of your diet would be good. My friend has a disease where she can't eat wheat, everything she eats has to be gluten-free... it is hard for her to do that.

Gluten, Whole Wheat and Wheatgerm

It's a good idea to remove processed wheat from our diet, but whole wheat contains lots of nutrients.

However if we are gluten intolerant, it's a good idea to remove all gluten from our diet.

But if we are not gluten intolerant, whole wheat and wheatgerm are packed full of nutrients.

So perhaps it is a good idea to check with our doctor to see whether we are gluten intolerant before we give up whole wheat and wheatgerm.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I just realized that the article I read in MacLean's was by the author of wheat belly. I agree that there are a lot of dietary fads and so am wary of saying anything is terrible and solely responsible for all woes. On the other hand, my acid reflux has improved markedly, I don't have to run to the bathroom all the time, I have less headaches, my legs are no longer as swollen and puffy and I am losing weight every day, so I'm not going to say it's all bunk either. I guess I'll see how I feel about it after three months or so.

I do agree that the production/type of wheat has changed markedly in the last 20 or 30 years and it is reflected in the overwhelming amount of people suffering from celiac's. I'm not sure if I have celiac disease or not (one out of three tests came back positive), but I have enough symptoms that haven't been explained satisfactorily in other ways that I'm happy to try anything that can improve my problems!

I'd be interested in any other research you run across, Orangey.

MBTI
    INTP

Sounds like an angry glutard.

I don't eat any gluten and have been gaining wait in the form of GRRR MUSCLE! since I stopped. I've always been skinny though. I feel way healthier/more energetic/less depressed without it.