• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone Read "Wheat Belly?"

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm unsubscribing from this thread...the title of the book just sounds gross for some reason.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i haven't read it, but i'm in the best shape when i don't take any gluten at all.

i loooooove stuff from http://organicvillefoods.com/

all their salad dressings, marinades, sauces are vegan, gluten free
(so that means it's very low-carb friendly too) and is really tasty.
i love the sun dried tomato dressing the most.

they even have gluten free sriracha sauce for [MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION]
http://organicvillefoods.com/products/condiments/sriracha-sauce/
sriracha-large.jpg

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
(3) wheat is in everything.

Exactly, yes. That's my personal pet theory as to why more and more people are developing sensitivities to it. How can you avoid it?

Once you aren't eating gluten-containing products, you realize the prevalence of it in almost every manufactured food you can think of, and then some.

I grew up on a farm, and we fed cattle grains to fatten them up ... I mean, humans aren't so different after all!

Personally, I discovered I was celiac about 8 years ago now.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Any gluten-free flours that you would recommend for thickening stews or gravies? Does it taste decent, or kind of like a...substitute? I'm not too desperate to find gluten-free products in general, but on special occasions it would be nice to find something that would work.

What about a thickening agent for scalloped potatoes and soups?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cornstarch for gravy?
That's what I've always used for gravy and anything else that needs thickening, even though I have nothing against flour. Someone told me it clumps less than flour. Might be BS. Definitely works fine though.

I have no idea if it has gluten in it though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's what I've always used for gravy and anything else that needs thickening, even though I have nothing against flour. Someone told me it clumps less than flour. Might be BS. Definitely works fine though.

I have no idea if it has gluten in it though.

it doesn't

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah my wife switched to using cornstarch for gravy, works fine.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when I ate less wheat I lost too much weight and kept feeling like I was going to fall over, or it could be that i also wasn't eating meat I was getting enough protein. so for some people giving up wheat might work for me it just made me anorexically thin and lack of balance

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reading this as I eat a large bowl of frosted mini-wheats.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Exactly, yes. That's my personal pet theory as to why more and more people are developing sensitivities to it. How can you avoid it?

Once you aren't eating gluten-containing products, you realize the prevalence of it in almost every manufactured food you can think of, and then some.

I grew up on a farm, and we fed cattle grains to fatten them up ... I mean, humans aren't so different after all!

Personally, I discovered I was celiac about 8 years ago now.

All this time I thought corn and maybe soy were the evil giants but I see now that it's wheat?

Holy hell, what CAN you eat?

I will miss my bread and baked goods. But, I do love me some rice and I've cooked with almond meal before to make breads. Tricky, but you can do it. I haven't been very successful but when you're starting and cranky as f*ck on an extreme low carb/high protein diet it's better than nothing.