User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Yes, this has been a real problem for me. Not just anxiety, but most negative feelings: depression, stress, loneliness, frustration, feeling trapped. I made some progress with it last year, but backslid this year. (Never eaten out of the garbage though...I kinda went 'yikes' when I first heard of people doing that. I assume they throw the food in the garbage to deter themselves from eating it, but then get too desperate to have it and it doesn't work).

I get why it's hard to understand, since anxiety often brings about loss of appetite. I've never wanted to eat either when I was in the midst of full-blown, heart pounding, shaky, queasy nervousness. The urge to eat something happens more when discomfort is starting to creep in around the edges of my consciousness, or when my mind is cycling through a lot of disturbing thoughts, or after I've had a minor meltdown and calmed down a bit. Then the eating numbs me and shuts off my mind.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i'm with @SuchIrony I also lose my appetite when i'm nervous. but eating from garbage disgusting, I get grossed out when i see homeless digging through the garbage barfalicisious
    Oh these aren't homeless people, they're women, who are maybe..... 38 years old. Divorced, married, single (maybe for life because they want to have kids but they're too lonely to leave the house), watch TV a lot, maybe they work as a secretary.

& they throw food away, & go pick it out again later to eat. Its true, I read it-- USA today.

I remember I was a freshman in college & I got so nervous about almost failing a class I ate 4 ham-&-cheese sandwiches in a row-- who does that?? I was like 130 pounds then.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Oh these aren't homeless people, they're women, who are maybe..... 38 years old. Divorced, married, single (maybe for life because they want to have kids but they're too lonely to leave the house), watch TV a lot, maybe they work as a secretary.

& they throw food away, & go pick it out again later to eat. Its true, I read it-- USA today.

I remember I was a freshman in college & I got so nervous about almost failing a class I ate 4 ham-&-cheese sandwiches in a row-- who does that?? I was like 130 pounds then.
    Yeah that's why they were men with beards and in smelly clothes
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I guess you're not called Funny Digestion for nothing.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Yeah that's why they were men with beards and in smelly clothes
    I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT UR PEPOPLE I'M TLAKING ABOUT MY PEOPLE
    RCUAI
    ---------

MBTI
    yupp

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT UR PEPOPLE I'M TLAKING ABOUT MY PEOPLE
    dude, chill the fuck out

p.s. I think you need this
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Lol
    RCUAI
    ---------

MBTI
    ISFP

I relate to this. In my mid-teens I dealt with binge eating. While I haven't binge eaten in years I still consider myself a binge eater as I think it was a way of self medicating (drug addiction) and coping mechanism which I could fall back into were my emotional/mental health to deteriorate. Throughout the day I wouldn't eat much as I was really busy and super active but at night when my family went to sleep I'd plow through tons of food. I mean you can't even imagine how much food I'd eat! Because I was an athlete and always in really good shape my family never suspected a thing (or they never mentioned anything). It got to the point I felt so out of control I went to an overeaters anonymous support group I had found by doing a search online for "overeating". It was an amazing experience and helped me phenomenally. I was able to see so many aspects of myself in the other group members that I wouldn't have been able to be honest about by myself. I also came to understand that I was very anxious (I didn't even realize what I was experiencing was anxiety because it seemed so normal to me) and food was a way of numbing myself to the anxiety. But there was a lot of shame worked up into the eating which actually just triggered me to eat more to stifle the feelings of shame and numb myself.

And yes, I do recall eating food out of the garbage. It was a slice of cake I had thrown away (my mom had brought it back for me from a luncheon) and I recall reaching into the garbage can, taking it out, and eating it. I remember how shame filled and out of control I felt. How angry and disappointed with myself I was. And how I continued plowing through food after that to feel numb. If you had seen me on the street you would have never guessed I was a binge eater as I looked like and was a "model student athlete".

What has helped me the most has been accepting and loving myself - warts and all. Part of the anxiety was trying to live up to being "perfect" and feeling as if I couldn't be honest about my humanness. We all have issues. I don't care how "perfect" a person seems - get to know them and you'll see they are just as human as all of us. What matters is how we handle our issues and if we grow from the experience. I also found that a big trigger for me was refined sugars and grains. To feel more grounded and help my anxiety I got into yoga and that really seemed to help. I also practiced being with my anxiety and not trying to numb it - getting to know it texturally which was one of the harder aspects of getting my overeating under control but also so incredibly helpful for all areas of my life. In a way it was like facing a fear and trying to with time coach myself to not feel fear about the anxiety so I could let the textural experience happen and pass. Something I came to understand is how fleeting almost all emotional/mental states are if you don't feed into it.

Anyway, not trying to lay this at your door and label you anything. Just sharing my personal experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pinker85 View Post
    What has helped me the most has been accepting and loving myself - warts and all. Part of the anxiety was trying to live up to being "perfect" and feeling as if I couldn't be honest about my humanness. We all have issues. I don't care how "perfect" a person seems - get to know them and you'll see they are just as human as all of us. What matters is how we handle our issues and if we grow from the experience. I also found that a big trigger for me was refined sugars and grains. To feel more grounded and help my anxiety I got into yoga and that really seemed to help. I also practiced being with my anxiety and not trying to numb it - getting to know it texturally which was one of the harder aspects of getting my overeating under control but also so incredibly helpful for all areas of my life. In a way it was like facing a fear and trying to with time coach myself to not feel fear about the anxiety so I could let the textural experience happen and pass. Something I came to understand is how fleeting almost all emotional/mental states are if you don't feed into it.

Anyway, not trying to lay this at your door and label you anything. Just sharing my personal experience.
    I've never tried yoga. I think I'd be too impatient to benefit-- I'd want to jump up & go do something else. Then again, impatience is the source of a lot of problems. I've never really binge-eaten, just sometimes I eat for no reason & don't stop. Usually it is due to anxiety in some form though. Thanks for the story
    RCUAI
    ---------