User Tag List

123 Last

Dali

Default Working out barefoot: pros and cons?

Been considering this for a while.

And I don't mean pilates or yoga, I mean weights, cardio... the works.

I'd like to hear your views on this. Good for you, or more harm than good, in the long-run?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Been considering this for a while.

And I don't mean pilates or yoga, I mean weights, cardio... the works.

I'd like to hear your views on this. Good for you, or more harm than good, in the long-run?
    I'm trying to figure out the pros of this.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Dali

@shortnsweet Any experience thus far?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    @shortnsweet Any experience thus far?
    It sounds like a really good setup to damage cartilage and get shin splints and other random injuries. What would the positive be here?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Dali

@shortnsweets Apparently, experts deem cultures with the best 'foot health' to be those with a barefoot culture. When we walk in shoes, we strike with the heel, as opposed to the ball of the foot/mid-foot as we're supposed to do, contributing to orthopaedic problems. This might be anecdotal but I've heard of numerous people who've had various foot and ankle related problems (shin-splints, bunions, calf pain) lessen dramatically or go away when they shifted to spending considerable amounts of their day barefoot.

I was wondering whether working out barefoot could be an extension of that, or would that be pushing it?

I'd also like to hear from people with experience on this.

MBTI
    INTJ

I know a significant amount of people that run in minimalist shoes or five fingers which can be reasonably compared to running barefoot. Everyone seems to prefer it. The issue, however, is to work up to it slowly. Get used to walking around in minimalist shoes first and then do some slower shorter runs and work your way up. It definitely appears to help in increasing the strength and stability of all of the little muscles that you otherwise wouldn't be using much and does give you a different kind of stride (better for you, in my opinion) that can take some getting used to.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think weight lifting is fine but cardio...I wouldn't do that. Too much impact for the knees.
    Found an interesting article about working out barefoot.
    Shoes Make You a Lesser Man

Through years of wearing shoes, our feet lose their tactile capacity, which is bad enough. But they also fail to develop to their proper size and shape. Tendons and ligaments shorten, muscles weaken, and the risk for foot and ankle injuries increases.

If it sounds like the ancient Chinese tradition of binding the feet, it kinda is. "It's identical, but to a lesser degree," Rooney says. "Shoes crush the foot into abnormal positions and you don't get the movement the foot is designed for."

And while that might be a puppy upper to the foot fetishists among us, it's a doggie downer when it affects your results in the gym.

Because your feet are the only point of contact between your body and the floor on most lifts, your lifting success depends, in part, on their proprioception — the sense of where they are in space. The more precisely they work to grip the floor, the better they'll help you activate the muscles farther up the movement chain.

Rooney believes that if you free your feet up, allowing them to move and react to the surface beneath them, your lifts will show commensurate improvement. "Just like strengthening the rotator cuff can improve your bench press, strengthening the lower limbs is going to let you run faster, jump higher, and lift more weight," he says. "Your numbers will go up."
    Source: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...o_get_stronger
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I once saw an interview on the Daily Show with a guy who wrote a book on a isolated Mexican tribe who run ultra-marathons in sandals or barefoot even in old age:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

I haven't read it but it sounds fascinating. Apparently running barefoot does indeed seriously reduces injuries.

EDIT: I found the interview. Have a watch!

http://myveryownrunningblog.blogspot...-athletes.html
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP

Shoes are bad for your health, but they sure are convenient

I never run barefoot because every time I have tried, I ended up with lacerations (from many sources)

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I know a significant amount of people that run in minimalist shoes or five fingers which can be reasonably compared to running barefoot. Everyone seems to prefer it. The issue, however, is to work up to it slowly. Get used to walking around in minimalist shoes first and then do some slower shorter runs and work your way up. It definitely appears to help in increasing the strength and stability of all of the little muscles that you otherwise wouldn't be using much and does give you a different kind of stride (better for you, in my opinion) that can take some getting used to.
    Shall def be prudent about working up slowly as my feet's 'hidden architecture' 'rediscovers' aspects of it's self that have been atrophied by years of wearing shoes. I've lusted over the Vibram Five Fingers shoes for the past year or so but we don't have any stores that stock them in Kenya. Plus they don't ship here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I think weight lifting is fine but cardio...I wouldn't do that. Too much impact for the knees.
    Found an interesting article about working out barefoot.

Source: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...o_get_stronger
    I love seeing articles like that. Looks like I'll start-out my barefoot gym regimen today. My only worry is having a 15kg dumbbell drop on my foot. I'd probably thrash half the gym in the ensuing hysterics. Hehehe. The only cardio I do is the elliptical machine which is relatively low-impact so I think I'm good on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I once saw an interview on the Daily Show with a guy who wrote a book on a isolated Mexican tribe who run ultra-marathons in sandals or barefoot even in old age:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

I haven't read it but it sounds fascinating. Apparently running barefoot does indeed seriously reduces injuries.

EDIT: I found the interview. Have a watch!

http://myveryownrunningblog.blogspot...-athletes.html
    Fascinating! I'd love to get my hands on that book! Born to Run, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Shoes are bad for your health, but they sure are convenient

I never run barefoot because every time I have tried, I ended up with lacerations (from many sources)
    Yeah, even if I were a runner (which I'm not. The elliptical works just fine for all my cardio needs), I'd never run barefoot outside. Too many variables.